Cell Phone Service

e050377

Has anyone used their cell phone in the Caribbean while in port? I know AT&T Wireless has this available, but I need a different phone. I'm looking for a new one anyway, but want to make sure the service will work. I know the rate is high, but to talk to my kids I'm willing to pay!! If not AT&T, have you used any other company? Any help would be great. thanks

It will be considerably cheaper to get to a port, buy an international calling card and using a payphone to call home. Even if you CAN get a signal on your cell, it's going to be really expensive. (You'll be dealing with foreign towers and roaming charges) Or, use the ship's email to touch base.

Some carriers will let you "buy" in international package, but read the fine print--they don't function everywhere and can still be expensive!

We bought a Mobal international cell phone several years ago before cruising in the Mediterranean. One phone costs $49 and the other $99. You only pay for the minutes used. No other fees. We have used it throughout the Caribbean and our daughters have used in in Europe and on cruises. The only place they didn't get service was in Costa Rica. Otherwise, it's been great.

Check out their website.

Archived