Bermuda residents: cost of Black Seal Rum

flashdog_1

Guess Black Seal is not the "souvenir" of Bermuda I hoped it would be! Sorry I cannot bring you any bdaguy since they'd confiscate it and save it until the last night. Now if you can sneak on Majesty the last night....nah, nothing would work!

Now it's about that fulcarnum (is that how it's spelled?) that goes into the drink. Recipe says IT has a bottle of light rum in it. Went to the website mentioned elsewhere and they do not have anything except flavored coffee syrups.

If I make a rum swizzle at home I want it to be authentic. Is the fulcarnum available to buy in Bermuda? Thanks

We're doing a drink preview for our TA in April. Each week or two we buy based on ports we will visit. Bought some BlackSeal here in MN a few weeks ago for $15.99. Very different taste from other rums...heavy, dark with molasses undertone in the taste. This week the theme was Ireland (Irish Whisky & Murphy's Stout)....next few weeks, British and French.

What would the most popular non-US made beer be in Bermuda that might also be found in U.S.? Besides Barritts Ginger Beer that is.

Found an interesting site for prices in Bermuda including some liquors...

http://www.bermuda-online.org/costoflivingguide2.htm

Guess Black Seal is not the "souvenir" of Bermuda I hoped it would be! Sorry I cannot bring you any bdaguy since they'd confiscate it and save it until the last night. Now if you can sneak on Majesty the last night....nah, nothing would work!

Now it's about that fulcarnum (is that how it's spelled?) that goes into the drink. Recipe says IT has a bottle of light rum in it. Went to the website mentioned elsewhere and they do not have anything except flavored coffee syrups.

If I make a rum swizzle at home I want it to be authentic. Is the fulcarnum available to buy in Bermuda? Thanks

It is made by Goslings and it available in the Goslings's stores. It does make the homemade Rum Swizzles taste close to those I remember at the Swizzle Inn.

A more appropiate souvenir of Bermuda might be Bermuda Gold. It is a loquat liquor with a very interesting taste and it is only available in Bermuda. You can get a free sample at the Gosling store to see if you would like it.

Could you bring some in for me? I'm paying $26!

Yes, it's about $26 if purchased locally, but it costs $9-$10 if you buy it duty free for export at the airport or at one of the liquor stores - they will export it for you by delivering it directly to the ship for you to collect at the end of your cruise.

Mix Black Seal with Barritt's ginger beer (locally made) and you get Dark n Stormy - delicious!

Yes, it's about $26 if purchased locally, but it costs $9-$10 if you buy it duty free for export at the airport or at one of the liquor stores - they will export it for you by delivering it directly to the ship for you to collect at the end of your cruise.

Mix Black Seal with Barritt's ginger beer (locally made) and you get Dark n Stormy - delicious!

:D !!!

I love the Dark n' Stormy! We just exhausted our supply of Barritt's Ginger Beer, although I have actually found it at Stop & Shop. I can't wait to restock on a couple cases of Barritt's and a few bottles of Black Seal rum when we go back in 2 1/2 months! :)

Eric

I know on NCL they allow you to purchase liquor from the ship's liquor store on the last day and bring it directly to your cabin. Then you don't have to bother going to the liquor store in town. You can even start drinking it in the cabin.:D

The point is, if anyone is looking to bring some Black Rum home to the US, they can get it duty free for like $10/bottle--this is a deal. Am not sure, but since it is a product of Bermuda (yes, I know it is not distilled there any longer, but it may still qualify for this status) limitations may be more liberal.

Gosling's is located in Hamilton and St. Geroge's--may have a location in Dockyard, and they would certainly know how much you woul be able to take back duty free. Same thing with Bermuda Gold--locquat liquor--very different.

Also, remember, Duty is not that bad. I think last time I took a 5 bottle case I paid like $6 duty.

Not that I plan to bring back piles of bottles with me, but is there a limit? I was thinking a nice bottle of rum or two and maybe some other liquor that would be associated with Bermuda. I believe RCCL confiscates it and gives it back to you at the end of the cruise or something.

I need to re-check the map too to see where I can buy rum cakes!

Not that I plan to bring back piles of bottles with me, but is there a limit? I was thinking a nice bottle of rum or two and maybe some other liquor that would be associated with Bermuda. I believe RCCL confiscates it and gives it back to you at the end of the cruise or something.

I need to re-check the map too to see where I can buy rum cakes!

You mentioned a five day cruise? Is it the Explorer from NYC? That ship docks as the dockyards and the Rum Cake factory is right there. No need for a map. . .you just follow the path.:)

You mentioned a five day cruise? Is it the Explorer from NYC? That ship docks as the dockyards and the Rum Cake factory is right there. No need for a map. . .you just follow the path.:)

or take the free shuttle bus to the Bell Tower mall....

Explorer of the Seas in August, out of Bayonne, New Jersey! It will be wonderful. I was thinking about what my second cruise will be after this one. So many places, so little time and money, lol.

I've tried hard to really research and plan. I've decided it's best to see the places that are most important to me, and take my time instead of rushing from one place to another. I've kept the sightseeing list scaled down for Bermuda, with a trip to Horseshoe Bay and then the Royal cemetery for sea glass on one day, with a shopping trip/ferry tour to Hamilton with my older daughter the day before. The hubs and younger daughter will be kayaking.

Explorer of the Seas in August, out of Bayonne, New Jersey! It will be wonderful. I was thinking about what my second cruise will be after this one. So many places, so little time and money, lol.

I've tried hard to really research and plan. I've decided it's best to see the places that are most important to me, and take my time instead of rushing from one place to another. I've kept the sightseeing list scaled down for Bermuda, with a trip to Horseshoe Bay and then the Royal cemetery for sea glass on one day, with a shopping trip/ferry tour to Hamilton with my older daughter the day before. The hubs and younger daughter will be kayaking.

You are going to have a wonderful time. . the only negative thing I have heard about your particular cruise is that people wish they had more time in Bermuda, it is that wonderful --but there is always next year. p.s. your hubby and dd will love the kayaking, we did a kayaking excursion last year, and it was one of our favorite excursions. . .ever.

Archived