Murder Suspect Arrested on Celebration...

Chriz

This is the second "wanted" person I know of boarding. The first time I actually saw a defendent who had missed court the week prior on our cruise:eek: . I was his prosecutor - he must've gagged when he saw me. Anyway he was pick-up in Puerto Rico and transported back to FLA.

Apparently the threat of arrest is kinda like your mom telling you your face would freeze like that.

That is tooooo funny! I had a client in Court yesterday on a nothing charge which would have resulted in a fine and no jail time. When he learned that there was an active capias (arrest warrant) for him . . . he sort of slipped out of the courtroom to use the rest room and never returned. :eek:

I know the feeling. I was afraid when I went to New York in November that I would be arrested at the pier because I am flagged for someone wanted for Grand Larceny out of New York.

Because I sail so much, when I walk up to the Customs agent, I go ahead and tell them they are going to hate me. I then give the info their screen is going to show them same name, same weight, same height, different date of birth and different race. I then tell them they have 6 or 7 entries in their comments section stating I am not this person.

At this point I am sent over to secondary search and go through it all over again.

Dave

My husband has a similar problem. It is someone in NY, who has the same name and exact birth date who has a record for larceny and drugs. The race is different. He has gone on-line to the homeland security website to try to get it corrected. Last week when we got off of the Freedom, he had to go through further screening. The agent was very helpful. My husband has a its not me letter from the NY Department of Motor Vehicles, as his license was revoked because of this person. The agent did tell us that they do document in the computer every time he goes through further screening. It is a pain. I am concerned as we are going to Europe this summer. I do feel for anyone who has to go through this.

ML

I know the feeling. I was afraid when I went to New York in November that I would be arrested at the pier because I am flagged for someone wanted for Grand Larceny out of New York.

Because I sail so much, when I walk up to the Customs agent, I go ahead and tell them they are going to hate me. I then give the info their screen is going to show them same name, same weight, same height, different date of birth and different race. I then tell them they have 6 or 7 entries in their comments section stating I am not this person.

At this point I am sent over to secondary search and go through it all over again.

Dave

So far, I haven't had any problems with customs. But it doesn't mean that it can't happen in the future. My driver lic have been suspended because of her also. We have the exact same name, born the same year. She does spell her middle name Leigh, while I'm Lee. But for years I just used the L.

What makes me see red, is the attitude of the state. When I was served with the warrent. I went to the courthouse and tried to explain it wasn't me. They didn't care! The women's exact comment was "We don't make such mistakes!" They called an officer up to the office and told me to either pay or I was going back to prison right then and there. If I had it to do over again, I would have them take me to jail. But I paid the $200 and went straight to the lawyers office.

I posted this in the other thread about the arrest, but wanted you all to see...

Dave, can you find it? :D

My hubby brought this to my attention, but go to the comments below the article. Anything catch your eye that might take you down memory lane for a moment?

OMG! Too funny!

What makes me see red, is the attitude of the state. When I was served with the warrent. I went to the courthouse and tried to explain it wasn't me

If this other woman was arrested before, why can't you get someone to fingerprint you and then check yours against hers. Should solve the problem

What makes me see red, is the attitude of the state. When I was served with the warrent. I went to the courthouse and tried to explain it wasn't me

If this other woman was arrested before, why can't you get someone to fingerprint you and then check yours against hers. Should solve the problem

You would think it would be that simple. You could think the word of the other ladies lawyer, people who know me including police officers and those that work for the state parole department that have known me my whole life would be enough to prove it's not me. But the state is holding firm that such mistakes aren't made.

I have seen passengers on several different cruises leave the ship in handcuffs. I've always assumed they had an outstanding warrant against them. On my husband's flight home from Cabo, there was a guy taken off the plane first in handcuffs.... his mother was standing next to me outside of customs and she said that was her son and he had an outstanding warrant for a failure to appear. I'm guessing that if you use your passport and you have a warrant, a flag goes up somewhere and they just wait for you to come home from your nice little vacation.

This is the second "wanted" person I know of boarding. The first time I actually saw a defendent who had missed court the week prior on our cruise:eek: . I was his prosecutor - he must've gagged when he saw me. Anyway he was pick-up in Puerto Rico and transported back to FLA.

Apparently the threat of arrest is kinda like your mom telling you your face would freeze like that.

Now THIS is really something...too funny! Poor guy couldn't get a break! Only kiddin' :eek:

Wow, really?! Do you happen to remember the thread title or have a link to that thread?

I believe that the post you are referring to was under Royal Caribbean Lines and was titled (something like) "Cruising with a convicted felon," or something close to that...

No...I do not believe it is related because those folks were asking about whether or not their friend/relative/whatever would have trouble clearing customs and all because he was a convicted felon currently on parole...something like that...

I didn't know that convicted felons on parole could leave the country without prior approval :confused: :confused: :confused: from P.O.s or whatever.

Man...do I feel dumb :p

I didn't know that convicted felons on parole could leave the country without prior approval :confused: :confused: :confused: from P.O.s or whatever.

They're not supposed to...but then again, we're not supposed to o many things discussed on this board;) .

I have tried to get my problem corrected. ICE tells me it is in the FBI NCIC computer. FBI says it is a State Dept problem. State Dept tells me it is ICE's problem. ICE's last commit was to wait until the guy is arrested and the problem goes away.

AAAARRRRGH..

Barb,
The search engine has not been restored yet on CC so I can not do a search.
Dave

I've been issued an arrest warrant a few times for unpaid parking tickets :confused:

I called and said it wasnt me and explain why and they let me go over the phone. Turns out they looked in the phone book. The middle initial was different as was the birthdate. They let it go OVER THE PHONE with no proof. Granted it was 10 years ago..... I also couldn't write checks in my own town.......Credit cards were fine though.

Later that year I woke up to read my own obituary in the paper! The number of phone calls we got that week to see if it was me or someone else :eek: . My dad & brother (same name) have read thier own obit's 3 times now :eek: :eek:

I consider myself lucky since I haven't used as many lives as they have :p :D

[quote name='mjbearit']The first thing I thought of when I read this was that poster who was on here a few weeks ago asking about cruising if you have an outstanding warrant! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I thought about the same thing! There were 2 threads....

In 1993, I was refueling in Tokyo on the way from Beijing to San Francisco. I saw this couple wandering around in our area, she looked like a hippie and he looked very italian, dark curly hair, chunky. They turned out to be sitting next to me. I was on the aisle, she was middle seat, he had window. She chattered about being from Boston and having won the trip at work, but they had to come home early because the kids were sick at the grandparents...He was looking forward to eating noodles without chopsticks. When we finally landed in S.F., everyone got up and grabbed their stuff from the overhead bins, as usual, and then we stood in the aisles forever. I thought maybe there was a problem up forward. then this black woman in pink warmup suit comes back, with two guys in black suits...I thought they were flight attendants, uniforms were black, too...She stops about at me, looks aruond and says 'It's not here', and they go back and come down the other aisle. they they turn around again, come back to our aisle and stop in front of him, standing next to me. She opens her jacket and says 'US Customs, I need to see your passport'. He hands them to her, she nods, flips him around and puts on handcuffs, says 'you are under arrest, your wife can get the luggage and follow to the terminal'. Well, you could hear a pin drop in the plane. Not a word...but every mind was churning! Never did find out what he had done. But later I saw her waiting alone for a flight to Boston. EM

[quote name='Slowboat2']If this other woman was arrested before, why can't you get someone to fingerprint you and then check yours against hers. Should solve the problem[/quote]

Police make arrests based on same name alone, even without fingerprints and without birthdate matches. I represented two different guys (at different times) in the same case, because they had the same name as a guy who had allegedly hit his girlfriend. Even after two innocent guys had been arrested and jailed, I couldn't convince the judge or prosecutor that there was a problem. By the way, this was in Massachusetts. If your name is a common one, beware.

[quote name='harlekuin']Not really surprised. Airlines and cruise ships don't do background and warrant checks before you're allowed to board. You're passport is not tied to any type of warrant system so their wouldn't be a "hit" on that either because the ship logs your number, it doesn't "run" your number. Imagine how long it would take to get through check in?

Also, warrants and backgrounds are "right to know, need to know". Every person that had the ability to even be in an area that ran those checks would have to be backgrounded and monitored and audited, etc.. etc.. etc. Much more complicated than it would seem. (Yes, I am in law enforcement.)

You never know who you might be sitting next to.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying and since you are in law enforcement you must be correct, but I always thought that your criminal record was a public record.
Also......... as far as backround checks, I believe when you do the fun pass thing they cross check you against a list homeland security has. That's why you have to fill it out in advance and can't get your tickets at the pier anymore. I would think that a wanted person would show up on the homeland security list.

[quote name='ALVINF']I understand what you are saying and since you are in law enforcement you must be correct, but I always thought that your criminal record was a public record.
Also......... as far as backround checks, I believe when you do the fun pass thing they cross check you against a list homeland security has. That's why you have to fill it out in advance and can't get your tickets at the pier anymore. I would think that a wanted person would show up on the homeland security list.[/quote]

The manifest was checked against a list but the manifest was not submitted until 15 minutes of departure and again submitted 96 hours prior to returning to port.

In order to prevent them from sailing the manifest now must be submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. No additions are allowed to made to the list. That is why they are requiring you to be onboard the ship at 90 minutes (2 hours for NCL) before departure. If not onboard within the time frame you could be denied boarding even though you are sitting there on the pier looking at the ship.

With airlines, they can do the 60 minutes submission which would be impractical or a constant update up to 15 minutes of departure.

They were a little bit late on identifying this guy but the system just went into effect on Feb 19 so I am sure there is still a learning curve going on.
Dave

Archived