?? about cabin upgrade

LJLB6

Has anyone every been given an upgrade and not wanted it? If so, were you able to go back to your original cabin or was that given away to someone else as an upgrade? I really like our cabin location--looks like most of the suites are booked so the only upgrade would be similar category but higher deck, which I don't want.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean in December. On our last Carnival cruise, when we went to check in, we were already upgraded--similar room, but much higher deck--at that time it didn't matter to us. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone where they didn't want the upgrade--I wouldn't want to be upgraded this time (unless it is a suite!!!).

RCCL hardly ever upgrades anyone for free, upgrades are sometimes available at the pier for a price. it would be a wonderful surprise if they did, but I wouldn't worry about it happening, because it probably won't. Princess, especially, and Carnival seem to routinely upgrade past passengers.

I was surprised in Jan when checking in for our cruise on the Voyager. We had booked the same room number balcony suite as on our previous cruise, so when I got my ship pass I noticed that my room was 3 floors up.When asking the agent why my room changed she just said "youve been upgraded" What luck, it made our trip really special to get a suite upgrade without asking.

We were upgraded last February on The Mariner Of The Seas without our knowledge. We check-in at the pier and told the the porter our cabin number for our luggage. Once we boarded we went to our assigned cabin which was open. A rent-a-tux was laying on our bed with someone else's name on it. We turned on the TV to check our Seapass account and someone else's named was on the screen. We then proceeded to the Purser's desk to inquire about our so called Junior Suite we had booked 8 months prior. The Purser told us our cabin had been changed but could not tell us by whom. Feeling a little angry about this, the Purser then told us our new cabin number which was a Grand Oceanview Suite. We gracefully accepted this new cabin and when we was out of view of the Purser's desk in the promenade we danced with joy on the way to the cabin. Upon arrival of our new wonderful cabin we found the key welcoming us the concierge club. What a great surprise as this was our first cruise as a Platinum member. We hope the same thing will happen October 2 as we are booked on The Navigator Of The Seas.

See, I knew that. As soon as I said that hardly anyone is ever upgraded on RCCL, that all of these people would come out of the woodwork, saying "we were". But it really doesn't happen that often, and it doesn't matter if you are on your honeymoon, new cruiisers, platinum, diamond or whatever. I wouldn't hold your breath that it is going to happen to you!

It did not happen to us but one of CC group had booked a stateroom with a huge balcony and were so excited. They boarded and like the previous poster, they did not look at their stateroom number. They put their luggage in "their" stateroom. When they went back, the key would not work. Steward opened the door for tem to retrieve their luggage. They found out they had been upgraded from their GS with the large balcony to an OS with a small balcony. There was no way they could get their "dream suite" back.

pbhunt.....I think you are correct in that upgrades don't happen often. Years ago we would hear of it happening but in the "cost war" day and age of now....upgrades are sold rather than "awarded". You are also right in that it doesn't seem to matter...honeymoon, first time RCI cruiser, diamond, etc. We once (5+ years ago) spoke to a couple who were on their very first cruise and got upgraded to the RS. If we were to get an upgrade to a suite in a good location we would be happy but if it were not in a good location we probably would ask for our old room back. That is why we always book a "specific cabin" rather than a guarantee. We realize our chances for an upgrade are slim no matter what so we might as well choose the room we want to start with.

We had that happen on our last Carnival cruise. We had 6 cabins booked together, and they upgraded 2 of us. When I found out, I requested our old cabins back. We all wanted to be together. Not to mention, they had upgraded our cabin but not our son's, who was supposed to be directly across the hall from us! With no adult in that room!! Fortuantely the original cabins had not been given away so they could easily switch us back. That's when I found out that you can have your account flagged "no upgrades."

I didn't think free upgrades existed anymore either. But after cruising four times in an inside cabin, I booked an oceanview on the Splendour last April. I specifically picked a cabin in the middle and booked 9 months in advance. I couldn't believe it when I went through check-in and she announced my cabin number as she handed me the boarding pass. I'd just been given a balcony!

I still puzzle over what the magic combination was. The people that were supposed to have the cabin I got were bumped up one deck. The people that got the cabin I originally booked had been bumped up a deck too (porthole to big window). Royal Caribbean didn't even know I was on my fifth RCI cruise, since that information had failed to make it from my travel agent to the cruise line.

In any event, if I had protested (well, some people really might want a window with gull droppings plastered to it), it would have been awfully awkward, since the new folks had wasted no time in getting comfy in my deck 6 cabin.

So with grace, I let them have it and embarked on a five-day journey that ended with me being a believer in the line "Once a balcony ... always a balcony."

IMHO, I think alot of it may have to do with economics. It is easier for the cruislines to resell the cheaper cabins again then to sell the more expensive ones. As time draws closer, they are probably trying to maximize the revenue of the ship, so they move people out of the lower priced cabins and push everyone up. This way they have the cheaper cabins on the market and can do a last minute sale. How they pick who they are moving is beyond me.

Archived