Luggage Size question? Need Help!

jagmanss1

Hi everyone, Need a little help on what luggage size to buy... What size do most of you use for 2 adults on a 7 night cruise? We have a good size rolling garment bag and are replacing 2 duffle bags..

Went shopping for luggage and it seems getting 2/ 29 inch bags are too big and 2/ 26inch maybe too small what do you all use and recommend? Thanks for any info.....

We use the largest allowed for flights. I see you are in Florida, so you probably won't be flying for this cruise, but I would buy the largest one that fits airline size restrictions (look on United or AA for the restriction), just in case you plan on going on a different cruise that departs from across the country or across the ocean.:eek:

We use one 29 inch, and one 22 inch rollaboard. Then we take a medium duffle and a large backpack as carry-on. (carry ons have changes of clothers, cameras, books etc) If we are taking our snorkle gear, it gets checked in another duffle.

Depending on your needs and the way you pack. 62 inches in linear measurement is the standard (length of the suitcase + weight + height) and most airlines are at 50 lbs. per bag, a few are at 60 lbs. and the last I looked SWA was the only one at 70 lbs and three pieces of checked luggage so plan on 62 linear inches and 50 lbs per bag.

I would either get a rolling duffle bag (advantage - nothing in terms of interior dividers so you can pack more and larger items in it/lack of dividers also lowers weight: disadvantage - it is easy to pack so much that the rolling duffle becomes overweight) and a suitcase under 29" in size or two of the suitcases under 29".

A 29" suitcase has dimensions something like 29.5 x 22 x 12 = 63.5 and that is without fully packing it which can expand it another 3". You are running a real risk of overcharges with a suitcase that size. Consider how often you will be flying and using this suitcase. The rules concerning size and weight are unlikely to become more liberal, if anything they will become more restrictive.

Hope this helps.

I use a 28" to 30" duffle, but you need to be careful that you do not get one that is too big. I got a 30" drop bottom duffle that I thought was great because it had both inside and outside pockets to help me organize things and it held enough for my husband and me for a week (with access to a washer and dryer.) Then I picked it up. It had to have weighed 70 - 80 pounds. Not being willing to pay the airlines' charge for over weight bags, I split our things into two smaller duffles. When my daughter found out, she decided to use the bag. She didn't have any problem going out to Hawaii, but was overweight on an inter-island flight even though the duffle wasn't even 3/4 full. You should have seen her with the bag on the scale, moving things to a extra fold-up duffle we had brought. The skycaps were laughing so hard they seemed disappointed when she got it under 50 pounds.

Also, check the weight of the bag itself. I found out that in addition to holding too much, that the bag empty weighs over 13 pounds as opposed to other 30" duffles that can be as little as 7 or 8 pounds. Five pounds may not seem like much, but it is when you are only allowed 50 pounds.

I would say it depends if you're flying or driving to the cruise. We drive so I am lucky.

The cruise allows you a total of 200lbs so I take two of the very largest bags we've got plus a rolling garment bag case that holds formal wear and suits, plus two carry ons. And we've never topped out at the weight requirement.

I don't like to wear the same stuff while only changing tops as some suggest you do and I do bring multiple heels to go with formal or sundress wear. We cruise the tropics so you're hot and sweaty and it's just as easy to pack another outfit as it is to spend time or money doing laundry.

After all, it is a vacation!

There are really no standard measurements, each manufacturer has it's own. They do pay attention to what airlines are allowing, so they probably won't manufacture a 29 inch bag that is over the airline maximum.

We use 29 inch bags most of the time, they are a bit roomier than the 26 or 27 inch (duh) and it makes packing for the week a little easier. Also, both our bags have suiters and we can pack formal clothing in there.

I would suggest one-29 inch bag and one carry on per person. If you need any more room than that, a smaller checked bag would work, a duffle is great for packing heavier items. Cross pack with your travel companion just in case one suitcase is misplaced, you'll still have something to wear.

Have a great cruise!

Rule of thumb: Domestic is tougher on weight,international tougher on size. I would not go with larger than a 26 on domestic because a loaded 26 is pushing the 50lb limit on many airlines. A 29 or 30 inch is pushing the size limit on international,especially if they are expanded. Wheeled duffles are lighter than uprights and also easier to cram into the trunk of a rental car.

I bought a set at Pennys which is called a 29" and measures 28.5 x 10.5 x 10 and has a 2" extender. If you save that for xtras picked up on the cruise you have it made. Most pieces of luggage sold have a tag showing the measurements but take a measure tape with you. My daughter bought a duffle in Costco and has had really good luck with it. My grandson used it traveling Europe in a van with limited space (they had size requirements for the trip) and my daughter used it on AA to Oahu and Maui using 2 duffle bags, 2-29" suitcases and 1 21" suitcase for the 4 of them. Good luck. It can be harrowing.

Thanks everyone for your replies, Ok NOW that I am completly confussed on what size to go with let me say this.... We are flying into San Juan from FLA. in Nov. for a 7 night cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, Our 1st 7 nighter, Most of our cruises we can drive to the port, But we do fly to NJ once a year also... We do need rolling luggage as carrying it is no longer an option and a real pain..... Just need to figure out what size would be best for both..... Hmmmm....

Pennys is running a really good sale on Protcol luggage. I think it is their brand. My daughter has had her set over 8 years and still going strong. They have a really nice set for 105. which is a 5 pc set and all pieces including the 29" meet with the codes of the airlines. Also, watch their sales and you may get lucky with a really good price. The warrenty is 10 years and Pennys does back this up really good according to some friends of ours. Check it out.

Archived