Fresh Fish at Dinner? - Newbie question

BrightIS

Hello

We leave on Galaxy later this week for the Southern Caribbean. Our 2nd cruise.

When traveling I try to eat fish as much as possible as we don't cook it at home very much.

Does anyone know if the ship reprovisions at certain islands and if they ever have local, freshly caught fish?

Sorry for such a Newbie question.

Hello

When traveling I try to eat fish as much as possible as we don't cook it at home very much.

Does anyone know if the ship reprovisions at certain islands and if they ever have local, freshly caught fish?

Hi Bright:)....if memory serves I believe none of the ships

are permitted to bring food on from Islands, especially something

as perishable as seafood.

To be honest, I have eaten the salmon on board quite

often and even for frozen fish it tastes very flavorful and

not "fishey" at all!:)

See you on Friday!:D

Hello

Hi BrightIS :)

When we took our first Celebrity Cruise on Infinity, during the summer of 2001, I saw them load fresh salmon on the ship while we were in Alaska. On that particular cruise the fish was excellent.

That was the last time I saw fresh fish being loaded onto a Celebrity Ship while in a port, but until a few years ago the fish was okay

Within the past few years, however, the fish on Celebrity has been awful,with the exception of what is served in the spa of their M class ships.

With that in mind, I would recommend ordering meat on your upcoming Celebrity Cruise, because they do that well.

I understand the way you feel about fish because I often order it when we go out to dinner because my husband is not a fish eater, so I don't make it at home.

If you like good fish on a cruise, I would recommend Holland America. I had fish almost every night during our recent cruise on HAL's Westerdam and it was always very good.

I actually started a thread on this about a month ago. Because the search is not working, I am unable to find it. However, I can help with answers.

Some of the best fish I have ever eaten was the first night on my recent Millie cruise. I don't remember the name of the entrée or even the type of fish. I do remember it had some type of green sauce or marinade over the top.

All fish and beef on X (I think most cruise lines) is not fresh. I have always turned up my nose at previously frozen fish. After that dinner, I have a new appreciation (acceptance) for frozen fish.

I don't think you will have any problem with the quality of the fish on board. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Sky, I guess we all have different experiences.:)

Everytime I have ordered Salmon it has tasted great,

not overcooked and good flavor.

I will probably order it once next week...if it isn't good I will send

it back.

Thanks all.

Sounds like I will remain a meat eater.

You can always try it and if not satisfied they will always

bring you something else.

While none of the fish I've seen on Celebrity was fresh, some were very good. Don't hesitate to try it and if you don't like it the waiter will bring you something else. The waiters actually have been pretty good in recommending if a certain fish dish is good that day or not.

I love good fresh fish and will eat it for lunch when at port most days. We're usually at the beach, and if there are a few beach bar/restaurants around it isn't hard to find someone with a catch of the day sandwich at a reasonable price. I usually throw away the bun, or ask them to grill it and put it on top of a salad for me.

The only cruise I've been on that had fresh fish was our 2005 Princess cruise in in Alaska that had fresh salmon and halibut. I think I saw some HAL ads for Alaska cruises last year that mentioned fresh fish on that itinerary.

Hi BrightIS :)

When we took our first Celebrity Cruise on Infinity, during the summer of 2001, I saw them load fresh salmon on the ship while we were in Alaska. On that particular cruise the fish was excellent.

That was the last time I saw fresh fish being loaded onto a Celebrity Ship while in a port, but until a few years ago the fish was okay

Within the past few years, however, the fish on Celebrity has been awful,with the exception of what is served in the spa of their M class ships.

With that in mind, I would recommend ordering meat on your upcoming Celebrity Cruise, because they do that well.

I understand the way you feel about fish because I often order it when we go out to dinner because my husband is not a fish eater, so I don't make it at home.

If you like good fish on a cruise, I would recommend Holland America. I had fish almost every night during our recent cruise on HAL's Westerdam and it was always very good.

This should have been included in my previous post quoted above. I grew up on the North Shore of LI and currently live in Southern Connecticut, so I am use to eating fresh fish at restaurants that know how to prepare it.

Therefore, I am probably more critical of fish than someone who lives inland.

Also formerly from North Shore Of Long Island. Avid fish lover. Celebrity has the best preparations of all the cruise lines I have been on (5) in fish entrees. I virtually have fish every night on our cruises and find them to be, in the main, very well prepared and not overcooked. Having said that, have I had bad fish entrees yes but a cruise line is not LeBernadin on NYC. Many cruise lines overcook fish which would totally turn me off. Somehow X seems to do it right night after night. Are they perfect, hell no, but they are consistently good. Try their nightly specials. I have been to many restaurants even on Long Island who can't do the same job X does.

Archived