Fairbanks worth the time?

luv2travel2beaches

We are planning to book a cruise in May/June 09. We then want to do a little 5 days or so traveling in Alaska on our own. Would it be better to drive from Anchorage and return to Anchorage to fly home, or is there something we shouldn't miss in Fairbanks? It seems to be a bit more expensive to fly from Fairbanks. We are planning to visit Denali and are up for any other suggestions. We are late 40's, early 50's, active but not terribly energetic when it comes to hiking etc. Thanks for any help you can offer.

There's a lot to do in Fairbanks, but with only 5 days, I'd highly recommend that you limit your travels to Denali and Seward. Leave enough time in Anchorage for the Native Heritage Museum!

With only 5 days, skip Fairbanks. I also only suggest you consider a northbound cruise, since you need to be in Denali Park, as late as possible in your timeframe. Consider heading to Seward first then doing Denali Park last.

Not only are flights more costly and less frequent out of Fairbanks, one way car rentals are scarce and also very costly.

With only 5 days, skip Fairbanks. I also only suggest you consider a northbound cruise, since you need to be in Denali Park, as late as possible in your timeframe. Consider heading to Seward first then doing Denali Park last.

Not only are flights more costly and less frequent out of Fairbanks, one way car rentals are scarce and also very costly.

BQ - we are doing the #4 land tour after our cruise. Talkeetna, Denali and Anchorage. What would you suggest for excursions? We like quality rather than quantity. Thank you for your help.

I whitewatered raft and met Jeff King in Denali. He might win the race again this year too. The bus tour was boring in the park. have been told you see more on the 8 hour bus tour.

Talkeetna was a small old town but with very intersting shops. When weather is good seeing the mt is great but I never saw it and hate to waste money flying if not there. it is a chance you take.

Talkeetna was a small old town but with very intersting shops. When weather is good seeing the mt is great but I never saw it and hate to waste money flying if not there. it is a chance you take.

You have it wrong, you fly McKinley to SEE it when you can not from the ground. It is usually clearly viewable from the air. The summit flights are an excellent choice to consider. Again, you do not have to see it from the ground to have a fantastic flight.

I'm a little bit biased, but I didn't particularly like Fairbanks . . . the one and only time I visited there it was wicked buggy . . . I mean like run for your life or the crow-sized mosquitoes will suck your body dry of blood in 15 seconds buggy.

It's funny since I had always heard of Alaska's legendary bugs and honestly in Anchorage and Portage where I have spent most of my time on trips in the past the bugs were never an issue . . . however it was an entirely different story when I headed north to Fairbanks . . . the bugs in the Arctic Circle were even worse!

That said, it could have been the time of day or time of year when I passed through there and honestly Fairbanks was more or less just a stop in passing as I was heading north to the Arctic Circle.

Archived