Best month for Alaska cruise?

EastTexans2

Since the "search" feature is still unavailable, I will ask my questions here......we have cruised with Royal and with Carnival and are looking ahead to an Alaska cruise in 2010 on the Westerdam.

What is the best month for Alaska?

Would you suggest a balcony for Alaska?

June, IMO. First half if you're not bringing kids and would prefer fewer of them around, second half if you're bringing kids and want them to have company.

May and Sep are cheaper, but more likely to be chilly.

A balcony can be enjoyable in Jul or Aug, but you probably won't get much use out of it for the other three months.

Thank you for all the replys! We were thinking either end of May or early June. So I don't need to spend the extra money for a balcony? That sounds good to me.....I just thought it would be warm enough to sit outside. What is the temperature range in early June?

You probably don't need a balcony but for the 1st trip to Alaska I would recommend it. We did have a balcony for our 2 previous cruises to Alaska and thought it was worth it. This May we won't have a balcony and will see how that works.

While I have never been to Alaska, we did do a Pacific Coastal to Vancouver last April/May and found it too cold to really enjoy relaxing out on our balcony (the way we do in warmer climates). I have also read on previous threads to avoid the extra balcony costs on Alaska trips and just stick to an ocean view (if cost is an issue). I've never had less than a balcony, but vow to get an ocean view when we someday visit Alaska based on what I've read on these boards. Hope this helps!!!

That sounds good to me.....I just thought it would be warm enough to sit outside.
The air temp may be warm enough if you were sitting still, but with a 18 to 20 knot wind while underway you will likely be huddled in the corner up against the forward partition!

When in port most people are off the ship for the day, and when you're "cruising" at a glacier the air is likely to be chilly because you're sitting in a huge bowl of ice water!

It may be nice to be out on your own balcony for a little while in the morning or evening when you're in port ... but for me public outside decks are sufficient.

On our last cruise to AK (Sep) we had a friend with a veranda cabin, and we tried several times to get some use out of it (with her), but in the end she regretted spending the money.

We cruised to Alaska on the Oosterdam last July. Left Seattle on 07/07/07, I was on the balcony while we cruise out of Seattle, it was beautiful. I was on the balcony again for about 45 minutes in Ketchikan, and the rest of the time it was too cold so, if we decide to cruise to Alaska again, I'm going to save the money and get a outside cabin with a window. We live in the Pacific Northwest and the running joke is that summer starts after the 4th of July, but maybe it starts earlier in Alaska!

We're going over the summer solstice. If I'm paying for that balcony, I'm going to sit on it ... if I have to sit there in my parka!

Oh, I spent many happy hours on the balcony with my parka, gloves, and hat, sipping hot chocolate and loving every minute of that Alaska scenery floating by. On Glacier day, (Hubbard on Oosterdam, Glacier bay on Noordam and Westerdam) I spend a couple of hours on the bow or on the front deck on deck 4 with everyone, and then as the ship slowly turns, I go to our veranda and lay back (yes, all bundled up - and I always go to Alaska in JULY) and enjoy some more. I would not miss it for the world and to me the veranda cabin is worth it even in Alaska.

That said, of course I always go in July when it's the warmest it gets. Maybe if it was 10 degrees colder I would not spend as much time out on the veranda...

I can't wait to go again! B2B this summer to Alaska! Counting the days!

Moriah

We live in the Pacific Northwest and the running joke is that summer starts after the 4th of July, but maybe it starts earlier in Alaska!
IIRC, last year summer was on a Tuesday, wasn't it? :D As I type this, it's 78 degrees on my back porch. :)

EastTexans2: maybe you should book a C guarantee and let the upgrade fairy decide if you're going to get a balcony or not! :D

A balcony is the only way to go in Alaska, even in the coolest weather. The crowds on deck can hamper getting a good view of all of the scenery, especially if you are trying to get good pictures. Whether you are up on deck or on your own balcony, you are going to to have to dress for the weather, and that probably means putting on the parka and gloves. We always sail Alaska in the end of May because the prices are lower, the crowds are smaller and the snow is still on the mountains (and even on the ground in some years).

I'm going on my first Alaska cruise and decided to splurge on the balcony. I know it's going to be cold but I will have a hat, gloves, parka and scarf. I don't plan to stay out there for hours at a time, but it'll be nice to just throw the parka over my PJs in the morning without having to get dressed to see the outside world.

I guess I need to buy a parka (what exactly IS a parka? I don't think they sell those in Texas) We're going 07/27/08 and we'll have a balcony, I'm GOING to sit out there, even if I have to take the blankets off the bed to do it!

I guess I need to buy a parka (what exactly IS a parka? I don't think they sell those in Texas) We're going 07/27/08 and we'll have a balcony, I'm GOING to sit out there, even if I have to take the blankets off the bed to do it!

Parkas come in all lengths and sizes, here's one example (the one I have has a detachable hood and is pretty light for packing purposes):

M51590_Royal_Blue.jpg

I was in Alaska in June a few years ago. You can see the dates in my signature. We were there during a heat wave and it was over 90 almost every day for two weeks. Unusual weather for Alaska, but none the less, that's what it was.

I'm GOING to sit out there, even if I have to take the blankets off the bed to do it!
You'll probably find spare blankets in the drawer at the foot of the bed. (We had some nice red plaid wool ones.) If not, ask your steward.

You'll probably find spare blankets in the drawer at the foot of the bed. (We had some nice red plaid wool ones.) If not, ask your steward.

That's good to know, the more bundling up one can do, the more one can enjoy their balcony.

I wasn't going to bring a parka, and was going with the layering and blanket deal, but a friend who also went in May had ended up buying a parka just for the ship and lent it to me and when I saw how light it was, I figure, even if I don't need it, I'd rather have it.

Check the L. L. Bean website (www.llbean.com). Lots of choices there. Also, Land's End. (www.landsend.com).

Archived