Live from Volendam 2-12 Mar

RustaRoo

Thanks to everyone who read my ‘Waiting to board the Volendam’ thread. I thought I’d post a few thoughts here. Yesterday, our first scheduled stop at Half Moon Cay was cancelled due to inclement (and unsafe) weather. It equated to another sea day – and that’s a good thing, as far as I’m concerned! It also meant that one of the bartenders in the Crow’s Nest could sell me a Signature Cocktail Card and he diligently made me a Wang Wang to put me in the mood for the rest of the day.

Last night was our first formal night and I hate to say this, since I enjoy following the ship’s recommended dress code, but I noticed a remarkable shift in dress conformity, especially after dinner. By the time I went up to the Crow’s Nest after my main seating dinner (8 pm) practically everyone was back in casual dress, including shorts and tees. There were tuxes and full-length gowns in evidence at dinner but definitely not in the numbers I’ve experienced on recent cruises. HAL may as well call it AYWD and AYWC (As You Wish Clothing) as that’s what people are doing anyway, given the blatant disregard for ‘recommended’ dress.

Today is a sea day; we’re en route to Aruba and arrive tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. We are still experiencing strong winds but I just heard the Captain’s Report from the Bridge and our forecast is for reduced winds tomorrow in Aruba. Even though it has been windy, it was still plenty sunny enough to be out on the aft Lido deck soaking up the rays and enjoying the general ambiance (and the occasional Mojito).

Will try to post more later. Cheers!

Richard,

It's so good to hear from you. I'm glad that you and your luggage were reunited as well. It makes for a much nicer cruise that way. Sorry to hear that they canceled HMC, but it sounds like you made the best of it. Enjoy your cruise.

Rustaroo,

Thanks so much for the update. My wife and I are scheduled on the 3/12-22 sailing of the Volendam to Panama, and it will be great to receive any feedback throughout your trip.

My wife and I have only cruisied 7 times, but we consider ourselves "traditionalists". We support your strong feelings about adhering to the HAL formal night dress code and have always enjoyed all of our formal evenings! My tuxedo and my wife's fancy dresses are already packed away.

Our 25th wedding anniversary will occur at midnight of the 2nd formal evening. At 12:01 am on the 18th, we fully plan on being "all decked out" and on deck, toasting the past 25 years, and very much looking forward to the next 25!

Enjoy your cruise!

Dick & Nancy

Hey, maybe we will pass on the gangway. We will be boarding on the 22nd as you all are disembarking. :p

Rustaroo,

Thanks so much for the update. My wife and I are scheduled on the 3/12-22 sailing of the Volendam to Panama, and it will be great to receive any feedback throughout your trip.

My wife and I have only cruisied 7 times, but we consider ourselves "traditionalists". We support your strong feelings about adhering to the HAL formal night dress code and have always enjoyed all of our formal evenings! My tuxedo and my wife's fancy dresses are already packed away.

Our 25th wedding anniversary will occur at midnight of the 2nd formal evening. At 12:01 am on the 18th, we fully plan on being "all decked out" and on deck, toasting the past 25 years, and very much looking forward to the next 25!

Enjoy your cruise!

Dick & Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived