A new Caribbean Cunarder?

tntornadox

Having read several member reviews here on CC and other sites concerning the recent QM2 cruises to the Caribbean from NYC, not many of them are very favorable.

QM2 is an ocean liner playing cruise ship in this situation, even though it was not built for the warm weather climates, and I have read it may show in several instances, deck space and pools mostly.

My question is, what do you all think of there eventually being a new Cunard 'cruise ship' stationed in the Caribbean? I could definately see it happening in the long term, but is it possible we may see it sooner, seeing Carnival Corp.'s reputation in that region?

QM2 is an ocean liner playing cruise ship in this situation, even though it was not built for the warm weather climates, and I have read it may show in several instances, deck space and pools mostly.

My question is, what do you all think of there eventually being a new Cunard 'cruise ship' stationed in the Caribbean?

Personally, I found the QM2 pools perfectly fine for all but belly flop contests. And desk space, to me, seems well beyond adequate for any warm weather clime. Finally, is not the MV Queen Victoria not a perfect cruise barge for Carib. cruising, should Cunard decide to enter this (over) crowded field? Just my humble opinions...

My question is, what do you all think of there eventually being a new Cunard 'cruise ship' stationed in the Caribbean? I

Heavens forbid! Look to Carnival.

Seriously, I was on a recent getaway cruise to Eleuthera. It was delightful. We enjoyed our Princess Grill accomodations, the voyage and the "beach day" in Princess Cays.

As noted by other posters, QM2 is a liner and, as such, she should be doing what her great ancestors have done... transatlantic crossings, world cruises, liner voyages, etc.

Bobby1119

The big advantage of the QM2 over cruise ships, especially in the New York to Caribbean route, is of course her speed. Especially in the winter, when she can get you out of the cold weather, often in rough seas, relatively quickly, and comfortably. The rest of the year, she serves well as a Transatlantic liner, with a few other cruises mixed in.

In the not so distant past, Cunard had a regular presence in the Caribbean market with its Cunard Countess, which I believe was home-ported at San Juan. Perhaps Cunard should study the possibility of returning to that market with a new-build that would carry on the elegant Cunard style, that would appeal to those who appreciate it as a choice over the more casual 'free-style' that seems to be in fashion these days.

Not every Cunard ship has to be a liner (or even named 'Queen someone or other'.

My wife and I very much enjoy the QM2 Caribbean roundtrips from NYC and hope they continue for the reasons mentioned, especially the QM2's speed in getting us to the warmer climes. She is a marvelous ship, wherever she may sail!:)

The onboard atmosphere of the Queen Mary 2 cruises to the Caribbean offer a wonderful refined alternative to most of the 'TOO-much-fun' ships of the competition there.

Total amount of space on the ship is virtually unparalleled. With a space/passenger ratio of 57 she is the roomiest ship I personally know. Only the Seabourn newbuilds will surpass her (71). Compare with the 43 of the Vistas. Much more when bearing in mind her tonnage of 148,000.

Similarly, her deck space is more than abundant. Where can you find the sense of vastness that the highest, uncrowded decks give?

Her aft, outside pools have the added benefit of unhindered sea views to the rear of the ship, a feature that many ships of Royal Caribbean or Celebrity lack, for example. It is wonderful to take part on a sailaway party there, having sense of both the departing ship and the 'going' landscape.

Add to that her unique speed, as said, and you have serious advantages when speaking about the Queen Mary 2 in Caribbean cruises.

On the other hand, a setback often remarked is that the aft pool is plainly or poorly designed. I personally find it adequate, and closer to the restricted, refined style of the ship. It follows the classic standards of the QE2.

Another setback is her interior pool area, which stands unfavourably compared with most of the competition (even with 'much' older ships, like Holland America's R- Class, for example). Here I concede that not much use will be done of a domed pool in a Caribbean cruise.

As to the vast deck space of the highest decks, one may remark that they feel 'too' vast and empty, and could be more appropriately fitted, adorned and used for a Caribbean cruise. But they have to be like this, as they serve the main purpose of the ship, the transatlantic crossings.

Another setback for Caribbean cruises on the QM2 are the sheltered, 'in-hull' balconies. Although being fine for transatlantic crossings, many people remark unfavourably on them, that they are cage-like, allowing for no use when sitting, with limited brightness, wet and hot in Caribbean temperatures. And the number of those balconies covers a large per cent of the total balcony cabins (contrary to similar, if brighter, cabins on the Vistas), resulting in more complaining passengers.

As to cruises specifically from NY, Cunard will offer cruises from FLL this autumn onwards. It looks like that it is not the QM2 to blame here, since Holland America also cancelled the similar 10- and 11-day itineraries of the Noordam from NY, and relocated her to Fort Lauderdale. It seems the vast NY market has not been convinced to seriously support cruising from their port, despite efforts of companies like Cunard, Holland America or MSC in the past. What a pity, I say...

So, the question is: will Cunard decide to go safe in the future? It seems more than obvious that a purposely built transatlantic liner, built to face the winter North Atlantic demands, cannot compete adequately with cruise ships specifically designed with the

sunny Caribbean market in mind. But Vista clones, like the Queen Victoria, are certainly much more fitted to do it - I could almost say 'ideally', bearing in mind the overall Cunard cruise product. The comparative success of the Holland America's

Vistas testifies to this. It is not at all improbable that Cunard will follow their example, and when it feels ready, place a Vista-fied Queen Anne(?) there in the future.

What will happen to the QM2 if such a scenario becomes true? The design of the ship makes her wonderful for worldwide cruises, especially in northern climates. At any case, I feel that the place of such a distinctive ship is not at the crowded Caribbean. Economics dictate differently today, and I can only respect the efforts of a company to be profitable. But if a more appropriate Cunard ship covers this area, I would be thrilled to see the Queen Mary 2 in worldwide exploration itineraries.

As to cruises specifically from NY, Cunard will offer cruises from FLL this autumn onwards. It looks like that it is not the QM2 to blame here, since Holland America also cancelled the similar 10- and 11-day itineraries of the Noordam from NY, and relocated her to Fort Lauderdale. It seems the vast NY market has not been convinced to seriously support cruising from their port, despite efforts of companies like Cunard, Holland America or MSC in the past. What a pity, I say...

It will be interesting to see the itineraries for summer '09. My TA says the move to Ft L was for the winter. People don't want the cold/cool sea days at either end of a winter cruise. Perhaps there will be more spring/summer traffic out of NYC.

It will be interesting to see the itineraries for summer '09. My TA says the move to Ft L was for the winter. People don't want the cold/cool sea days at either end of a winter cruise. Perhaps there will be more spring/summer traffic out of NYC.

Well see, I thought the cold days at either end were just splendid. But I was never known for liking what the masses do. I was born rebellious and obstinate.

Then you need to come and sit right here next to me, out on deck in a lovely teak lounger with some rugs and cocktails so we can stay longer. :p

Sounds marvelous! That's what sea days are for, n'est pas? I miss the days of the reserved deck chairs on QE2. I wish they would let high-level World Club members buy into the Grills deck area on QM2.

Sounds marvelous! That's what sea days are for, n'est pas? I miss the days of the reserved deck chairs on QE2. I wish they would let high-level World Club members buy into the Grills deck area on QM2.

Well, I certainly wouldn't tell if you should accidently come with Paul and me to the Grill deck. He's already claimed the hot tub as his very own, but he does share.

I've been on three of the Caribbean cruises from New York this winter and have enjoyed them tremendously. The ships handles the weather going down the coast with no effort and it is great to enjoy the warm weather and the Cunard style at the same time.

QE2 was an excellent Caribbean cruiser as well. It was different than the transatlantic service but also different than the mass market lines as well. It was just one of the many things QE2 did well and QM2 is following in that tradition.

When QE2 was new, she also did winter Caribbean cruises from New York until they started having her do world cruises. QM2 will be abandoning New York next year in favor of a world cruise as well - - something I find disappointing. There should be a sophisticated ship running out of NY in the winter. Indeed, a large number of the passengers on these cruises have been from the UK and quite a few have told me that it was the combination of visiting NYC and cruising on QM2 that they found attractive.

• 2 weeks later...

Having returned from the last QM2 voyage to the caribbean, I just wanted to chime in that I thought this was a fabulous, near perfect cruise-- probably my all time favorite. The ease of leaving from our home city combined with 7 (of 9) days in the sun w/o no flights and a day to really unwind and relax on either end (instead of say, flying to FL) were the points that sold us-- although having fallen in love with the ship, might consider a FL itinerary in the future... and I can understand if you lived anywhere south of D.C. you might not want to fly north to head down to the tropics.

The only "non-perfect" element was the need to tender in St. Lucia (long choppy tender) and Tortola-- but it was a completely worthwhile trade-off for the QM2s ability to handle choppy sea days flawlessly.

The move to Florida for next winter also saves abundently on fuel . . . while still charging around the same rates as this year.

We really enjoyed leaving from NY this year and were spoiled by being able to be just dropped off at the pier. Having such a great trip though and 10 days to really unwind, we are booked for January 09 from Florida. Now if we only knew what the dry dock entailed . . .

ryan

Archived