No Visa needed for Sanya...according to

DJjazzy

I just emailed Chinas Foreign Mininistry of Affairs

and asked about Visa requirments for a Sanya visit for a

USA citizen with valid passport.

They replied to me:

" No visa is needed for Sanya even if you get off the ship to travel on land except that your stay does not exceed 15 days and you are not allowed to go beyond the Hainan Island."

Why is Royal Caribbean saying a China visa is required for the Sanya stop? I wasn't even planning on getting off the ship for the 5 hour port call, and did not want to spend the $130 getting a China visa here in the US for just a 5 hr port call. Well, accordiing to the Counsul at this address,

chinaconsul_chi_us@mfa.gov.cn

No visa is required.

Has any US citizens gone to Sanya, without a visa?

I need to know for sure, as I'm leaving for HK on 3/21

I just emailed Chinas Foreign Mininistry of Affairs

and asked about Visa requirments for a Sanya visit for a

USA citizen with valid passport.

They replied to me:

" No visa is needed for Sanya even if you get off the ship to travel on land except that your stay does not exceed 15 days and you are not allowed to go beyond the Hainan Island."

Why is Royal Caribbean saying a China visa is required for the Sanya stop? I wasn't even planning on getting off the ship for the 5 hour port call, and did not want to spend the $130 getting a China visa here in the US for just a 5 hr port call. Well, accordiing to the Counsul at this address,

chinaconsul_chi_us@mfa.gov.cn

No visa is required.

Has any US citizens gone to Sanya, without a visa?

I need to know for sure, as I'm leaving for HK on 3/21

This is only true IF the ship or organized travel group turns in the group manifest 48 hours before entry to Sanya. There is a provision for "group" travel. Better check with the cruise line AGAIN. And get someone other than the first person that answers the phone to give you the info-a supervisor.

And please don't trust ONE Chinese consulate official as the ultimate authority. You will get different answers from people in the same consulate often. And what is done in the US consulates has to be OK'd by Beijing.

It would be a shame to be denied boarding on your ship. AND you have very little time to get a Chinese visa. At this late date, it will probably cost you expedited service OR a personal visit to the consulate.

This all depends on how the cruise line is handling the entry into China. You state they want you to have a visa. I take that to mean the cruise line IS NOT complying with the "group" manifest rules.

BTW I ended up submitting a China Visa app today in SF, pick up next Tues.

But I wanted the 24 month mupltiply entry , and the lady at the counter said

" no more" 24 month visa. ????? What the....According the the printed info on the web site, " Chinese Americans with relatives can apply for a 24 month visa with multiple entries."

We are both Chinese & my wife was born in HK and has relatives in China.

But it looks like we only get the 12 month visa. How are some folks getting the 24 month visa? Who has gotten a 24 month visa and which consulate general location did you use.

I still am Po'd with Royal Caribbean stating I will be denied boarding in HK if I don't have a China Visa...

Clearly states that NO Visa is required for Sanya if vist is under 15 days!!

We sailed to Sanya with Royal Caribbean on 16th February. Many people on board had not gotten visas (mixed nationalities) at all but were still allowed to board and to enter Sanya.

It came about whilst on board that none of us need have purchased them and they issued us with letters if we requested them, to claim our visa payments back.

I agree about the hassle for a 5 hour stop

I just booked myself for the March 27, sailing of the Rhapsody out of Hong Kong. It’s an incredible deal $249.00 inside gtd. I found reasonable airfare from the U.S. So here is my dilemma. I now have to get a rush visa for China (Sanya) the $130.00 fee plus the rush fee and the visa company fee are going to push the visa to the same price of the cruise. All for a couple of hours at place that I could do without. I spoke to the concierge at the hotel where I am planning to staying in HKG (Renaissance Kowloon) . He advised there is a Visa service there at the hotel that could do a visa in a ½ day for a U.S. citizen, I will have 1 ½ days before the cruise. Does anyone have any experience with obtaining a Chinese Visa while in HKG?

BTW I ended up submitting a China Visa app today in SF, pick up next Tues.

But I wanted the 24 month mupltiply entry , and the lady at the counter said

" no more" 24 month visa. ????? What the....According the the printed info on the web site, " Chinese Americans with relatives can apply for a 24 month visa with multiple entries."

We are both Chinese & my wife was born in HK and has relatives in China.

But it looks like we only get the 12 month visa. How are some folks getting the 24 month visa? Who has gotten a 24 month visa and which consulate general location did you use.

I still am Po'd with Royal Caribbean stating I will be denied boarding in HK if I don't have a China Visa...

Clearly states that NO Visa is required for Sanya if vist is under 15 days!!

As I posted previously: NO visa required IF:

"A 'No-Visa' policy is available for travel groups of 5 members or more when they have passports from one of following 21 counties: USA, Singapore, Russia, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Italy, Thailand, Philippine, Indonesia, Germany, Britain, France, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Spanish, Holland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The 'No Visa' policy is valid for a stay of 15 days maximum"

The cruise line MUST complete the Chinese paperwork to qualify for a "GROUP". It's pretty obvious that RCCL is covering its bases by requiring visas for citizens JUST IN CASE the Chinese government changes the rules.

What you encountered is EXACTLY the way Chinese consulates handle visas in all USA Consulates. The RULES state one thing, they do it "their" way and often "their way" is not the same way EVEN in the same consulate. You SHOULD have been allowed the 24 month, multi entry visa. BUT

I travel to Asia frequently for business and have gone through all sorts of confusion at the consulates. One person states, "yes, you can have a multi entry visa" and issues one. I go back to get another one when the first expires and it's "NO, what are you thinking, you are not eligible for a multi entry visa". The RULES they publish are NOT reality when it comes to the Consulate employees. I have since turned my Chinese visa requests over to a local Chinese gentleman in Alhambra, CA. He seems to have a great rapport with the Los Angeles Consulate and has been able to get anything I need, including 24 month, multi entry visas.

Same way with the Sanya visa-you SHOULD be able to go to Sanya without the visa. 2000 people on a cruise ship certainly constitute a GROUP. But the Chinese officials tell the cruise line that they must fill out EXTENSIVE paperwork for the "group" visit or everyone must have a visa. Then when the ship arrives, the Chinese "forget" about the visa. All due to the money spent by tourists.

I agree about the hassle for a 5 hour stop

I just booked myself for the March 27, sailing of the Rhapsody out of Hong Kong. It’s an incredible deal $249.00 inside gtd. I found reasonable airfare from the U.S. So here is my dilemma. I now have to get a rush visa for China (Sanya) the $130.00 fee plus the rush fee and the visa company fee are going to push the visa to the same price of the cruise. All for a couple of hours at place that I could do without. I spoke to the concierge at the hotel where I am planning to staying in HKG (Renaissance Kowloon) . He advised there is a Visa service there at the hotel that could do a visa in a ½ day for a U.S. citizen, I will have 1 ½ days before the cruise. Does anyone have any experience with obtaining a Chinese Visa while in HKG?

Yes-my first business trip to Asia when the Los Angeles Consulate DENIED my application for a multi entry visa and I needed to go back into Mainland China. I actually used a visa agency in HKG. It was kind of a hassle-I had to take taxis to two different places and I was VERY pressed for time (arrived HKG about 6:30AM). But I got the visa and made it on my 9:50PM plane to Chengdu.

Working through a hotel and having 1.5 days would be MUCH easier. The concierge can probably smooth the way a lot. Make sure you have quite a few EXTRA passport photos and your paperwork filled out. Good luck!!!

We sailed to Sanya with Royal Caribbean on 16th February. Many people on board had not gotten visas (mixed nationalities) at all but were still allowed to board and to enter Sanya.

It came about whilst on board that none of us need have purchased them and they issued us with letters if we requested them, to claim our visa payments back.

So on the Feb 16th Rhapsody, you know for a fact that many people of mixed nationalities were able to board the ship in HK with out the so called " required China visa?

Please give more info regarding getting "issued letters if you request them to claim visa payments back" ????

Do you mean, since I've already submitte my " Required China Visa" for $130 that was essentially not required for this sailing, I can now complain and get a letter from Royal to get visa fees back? Who do I speak with? Some one on the ship? Will Royal be issueing me a refund on my visa fees?

Thanks for your information..This may be helpfull when I get on the Rhapsody for the March 27th sailing .

BTW...did Rhapsody port in Halong Bay ( tender in ) or Haiphong.

Wanting to know, cuz intersted in a Halong Bay tour for the day and want to know where we will be arriving.

and do you have any info or reccomendations on Halong Bay tour.

Thanks!

So on the Feb 16th Rhapsody, you know for a fact that many people of mixed nationalities were able to board the ship in HK with out the so called " required China visa?

Please give more info regarding getting "issued letters if you request them to claim visa payments back" ????

Do you mean, since I've already submitte my " Required China Visa" for $130 that was essentially not required for this sailing, I can now complain and get a letter from Royal to get visa fees back? Who do I speak with? Some one on the ship? Will Royal be issueing me a refund on my visa fees?

Thanks for your information..This may be helpfull when I get on the Rhapsody for the March 27th sailing .

BTW...did Rhapsody port in Halong Bay ( tender in ) or Haiphong.

Wanting to know, cuz intersted in a Halong Bay tour for the day and want to know where we will be arriving.

and do you have any info or reccomendations on Halong Bay tour.

Thanks!

I will throw in my 2 cents.

Just got off Rhapsody B2B's a couple days ago.

We also got Chinese Visas ahead of time.

Seems that RCI does not want to give out information and wants to cover their ass.

China changed the policy in January that the ship can apply for your Visa similar to the way it does for Vietnam. Letters were issued onboard for UK RESIDENCE only that supplied information on whom to write to (to help get their $ back). Again - only to UK residence.

No one was denied boarding.

Although if your not into shopping in the BIG MALL - I thought the times for this stop were poor. Do recommend the massage pools and resort... but hurried!

Enjoy

o.k. - here's the scoop.

We got off Rhapsody on March 12th.

NO VISA is required for Sanya for U.S. citizens.

As a matter of fact, we even took a tour.

RCCL - Please communicate with your passengers!

BTW - Of our sixteen RCCL cruises, this was the worst organized for embarkation and tour coordination.

It was a joke at the Marco Polo Hotel, with everyone giving different directions and answers to questions. Total chaos!

Then, on our return, we docked at a port about twnety minutes from the cruise terminal. No announcemnts by anyone during the cruise or even on the day of debarkation. Poor indeed!

Thanks for the heads up on Rhapsody for this " unorganized cruise "

So you disembarked at a dock 20 mins away from the real cruise terminal near the shopping complex? That's not good.

Did you have your China Visas for this cruise? Would you say 'most' of the passengers had the China visa? But were there also a bunch of passengers who did not bother to get the China visa?

Even as recent at a few days ago, Royal was saying that a China Visa was required, even to just get on the ship in HK.

Thanks for the heads up on Rhapsody for this " unorganized cruise "

So you disembarked at a dock 20 mins away from the real cruise terminal near the shopping complex? That's not good.

Did you have your China Visas for this cruise? Would you say 'most' of the passengers had the China visa? But were there also a bunch of passengers who did not bother to get the China visa?

Even as recent at a few days ago, Royal was saying that a China Visa was required, even to just get on the ship in HK.

1. Docking at another pier meant the hassle of waiting for and loading shuttle buses.

2. When we discovered the Chinese government has raised the visa price to $130 per person, we made the decision not to obtain them. I had also researched Sanya and Hainan Island on Google and discovered that at one point they had passed a law which made visas unnecessary for Americans.

3. I have no idea of percentages but it was clear that a good number of people fell into both categories, with and without visas.

4. I don't understand why corporate headquarters did not communicate with the ship. Then again, their website still doesn't credit me for our last six cruises!

I knew the visa fees were $130, and decided that I wasn't going to get a visa for just a 5 hour port call, but wanted to make sure I would be able to get on the ship in HK. So I called Royal numerous times over the last 2-3 weeks, asking if I didn't get off the ship in Sanya, " Do I still need the visa "

I also found on the net info stating that US Passport holders don't need visas for Sanya visits on less than 15 days.

But.....

I was told every time that I would be denied boarding if I did not have the China visa. So based on that, I applied for my visa. BTW, I haven't even picked them up from the Consulate office. Gonna do that in the next few days, as I'm leaving for HK on 3/21.

Can you imagine how PO'd I am, finding out now that my original plan was correct in not getting this visa. In my book Royal owes me $260 !

I knew the visa fees were $130, and decided that I wasn't going to get a visa for just a 5 hour port call, but wanted to make sure I would be able to get on the ship in HK. So I called Royal numerous times over the last 2-3 weeks, asking if I didn't get off the ship in Sanya, " Do I still need the visa "

I also found on the net info stating that US Passport holders don't need visas for Sanya visits on less than 15 days.

But.....

I was told every time that I would be denied boarding if I did not have the China visa. So based on that, I applied for my visa. BTW, I haven't even picked them up from the Consulate office. Gonna do that in the next few days, as I'm leaving for HK on 3/21.

Can you imagine how PO'd I am, finding out now that my original plan was correct in not getting this visa. In my book Royal owes me $260 !

Yeah, I hear ya! I'll be sending a letter to RCCL explaining the problems. I think we have to remember that these are new ports for Royal Caribbean. Yet, you would think thay would have had all their ducks in a row. (whatever that means:) ).

In any case, don't let the confusion spoil what should be a great trip. Viet-Nam was fascinating and we always love Hong Kong.

BTW, the loyalty ambassador told us next year's asian cruises will depart Singapore and Shanghai (although the latter isn't confirmed)

• 1 month later...

It would be nice for RCI to answer visa questions but it is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct visas for your cruise. (They clearly state that – either on their website or in your cruise docs – can’t remember where I saw it.) With the new Asian cruises, they have opened up another market with many passengers being foreign nationals. RCI cannot be expected to know visa requirements for specific ports for all nationalities.

Whether you book a cruise with RCI or go to any travel agent, you should always check with the necessary Consulates yourself. Check and double check. Often the information changes and even websites can be unreliable (although most are good). Any cruise line or any airline WILL deny you boarding if you do not have the proper visa. It also doesn’t matter that you intend to stay on the ship during a particular port if a visa is required.

Archived