taking your passport off the ship

JoeTN

On the black market, a US passport is worth up to $20,000.

For 20 grand, I just might "lose" my passport. When I was younger, I lost mine and while it was a hassle to get it replaced, it might just be worth it. 20 grand is quite a few cruises... :D

Taking your USA passport off the ship is a BAD idea IMHO. I travel frequently to South America for business. On the black market, a US passport is worth up to $20,000. I have been offered $7,000 for mine in Peru. So they are worth GOLD and are used by terrorists, drug dealers and money launderers with frequency. A US or British passport is one of the most valuable documents floating around the world.

So why is that my problem? That's homeland security's problem. When they swipe my stolen passport through the scanner, the person presenting it is not going to match my photo stored in the government data base. Book'em Danno. In fact, this may help to catch these people.

You don't take a passport ashore in the Caribbean because the Caribbean country requires it, you take it ashore because it's YOUR proof of US citizenship while you are visiting a foreign country. You don't have to be a citizen in some states to get a driver's license. I think some of the cruisers don't know geography and think visiting a Caribbean island is the same as going to Disney World in Florida. Florida is a US state, Grand Cayman is not.

So I have read all of these posts, and I have a question. If you must show Sea card and photo ID to exit and reboard, what do you do for kids who don't have DLs or School IDs, except have a passport? We are taking our kids on their 1st cruise in Dec. and they do already have passports, but I am just curious what other folks do whose kids don't have passports?

So why is that my problem? That's homeland security's problem. When they swipe my stolen passport through the scanner, the person presenting it is not going to match my photo stored in the government data base. Book'em Danno. In fact, this may help to catch these people.

No one said it was your problem. And you REALLY believe HS catches very many SHARP drug dealers, terrorists, etc???? US passports allow people to travel world wide, with little interference from authorities. Send the passport via mail, courier, etc., INTO the USA, change the photo, THEN leave the USA with that passport. No one will stop you coming BACK into the USA. Your picture will match the picture that is in the scanning database for exits and entries. It will take an inquisitive, SHARP agent to check the ORIGINAL passport application.

And in the mean time, while you are moving around the world, you have perfected the terrorist plot, drug deal or moved $1,000,000 in laundered money. It doesn't take a genius to get into the USA without passing through a checkpoint. Just ask 12 million illegals.

That is a violation of the merchant's agreement with the credit card companies... you can report them, and if they don't comply, they can be barred from accepting credit cards!

How To Report Merchants For Requiring A Minimum Purchase Or Making You Show ID

Theron

I am a merchant who accepts credit cards and from time to time the machine "asks" to "SEE ID". At that poit I have to enter a drivers license number or something else. The customer has always had a drivers license that was sufficient to continue the transaction. So I'm not sure what other forms it would accept. I suppose a passport number could be entered.

And BTW I would never leave the ship without my passport. Why have one if you aren't going to have it handy in case SOMETHING happens? One could get involved in a fight and get thrown in the pokey in a foreign country. Good idea to have the passport then, right? Or any number of things could "happen" that you might need it for.

JUST CARRY IT WITH YOU

When visiting foreign ports of call, I would carry my passport. I might not have to, but I would.

I've often wondered what would happen if we didn't have our passports and we missed the ship. How would we get back to the states (or next POC) if we didn't have our passports. Can someone confirm our friend to the north's statement above. I seriously doubt that they would rummage through your room and things to find a passport that may or may not be there. In my mind, the best bet is to just keep it securely with you.

If there is someone in your cabin, they will ask for your passport from them, and give it to the port agent on the dock. If not, they WILL go in and look in the obvious places: desk, safe, etc. for it. They know who is missing, and they make every effort to get your ID to you if they have to leave you behind at a port. I had a conversation with the Purser Officer at a C&A function about this. Someone was left behind in the Canary Islands on our Transatlantic, and the next stop was Puerto Rico!!!

So I have read all of these posts, and I have a question. If you must show Sea card and photo ID to exit and reboard, what do you do for kids who don't have DLs or School IDs, except have a passport? We are taking our kids on their 1st cruise in Dec. and they do already have passports, but I am just curious what other folks do whose kids don't have passports?

The passport is NOT required to get off and on the ship: they have your picture in their system, and your card is scanned and your picture compared to the "live" you as you get off and on the ship.

It's the PORT security that want to see picture ID when you come back through THEIR security to board the ship.

Children should have passports, too. It's going to be mandatory someday soon.

Another note:

I cannot imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of getting a passport, taking it with them to a foreign country, and then leave it behind. It's your ID!! Neck and waist wallets work great to secure valuables under your clothes.

I am a merchant who accepts credit cards and from time to time the machine "asks" to "SEE ID". At that poit I have to enter a drivers license number or something else. The customer has always had a drivers license that was sufficient to continue the transaction. So I'm not sure what other forms it would accept. I suppose a passport number could be entered.

Wow, that is very interesting... I wonder why they would ask you to do something that clearly violates their own policy? Unless perhaps you are using a third party service to process the cards that is asking for the ID, in which case THEY would be the ones violating the policy?

Theron

Theron, I guess you havent been into a post office lately. They ask for ID for every credit/debit card transaction. The trick of putting SEE ID on the back is not accepted either. I work for a hotel, we use credit/debit cards on EVERY transaction. We do ask to see an ID.

In fact AMERICAN EXPRESS will tell you to see an ID to compare signatures to avoid chargebacks. I think you need to check your sources on the " law ". Anyway, businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. They do not have to accept your credit card if they dont want to.

As for taking your passport on shore. YES, DO IT! Went to St. Thomas, St Maarten in March of 2007. We were told to bring them to get back through the pier security, NOT the cruiselines. Copies are not a legal form of ID. True, you can get back into the USA without one, but man oh man it is a hassle. Even when I fly domestic, I use my passport for ID, things go soooooooo much smoother.

Tim

If there is someone in your cabin, they will ask for your passport from them, and give it to the port agent on the dock. If not, they WILL go in and look in the obvious places: desk, safe, etc. for it. They know who is missing, and they make every effort to get your ID to you if they have to leave you behind at a port. I had a conversation with the Purser Officer at a C&A function about this. Someone was left behind in the Canary Islands on our Transatlantic, and the next stop was Puerto Rico!!!

Really? The ship is throwing off the ropes and they know you are not back on the ship. So in that 5 minutes, someone is going to race to your cabin, search it high and low for your passport, open the safe, just where did you hide it? Then race back down to the gangway and leave it with someone?

I don't think so. It's your responsibility to have valid ID. It's a foreign country, not Kansas. Read the text in the passport, the US government is kindly ASKING the foreign country to extend protections to you, not demanding.

And the "ship's policy" is meaningless. If you are detained for whatever reason, the "ship's policy" and "recommendation" or what the "CD" said regarding that don't need a passport when ashore will show itself for what it is when they sail off without you.

Think about it, use your own brain to decide. Someone else's opinion "you don't need your passport" will not help you if you need it.

Wow, that is very interesting... I wonder why they would ask you to do something that clearly violates their own policy? Unless perhaps you are using a third party service to process the cards that is asking for the ID, in which case THEY would be the ones violating the policy?

Theron

One guess would be that the purchase doesn't follow the cardholders normal pattern. If I have been making normal purchases for months/years in one location (like here in Central Ohio) and all of a sudden there is a puchase in California it may trigger a security response from the card issuer.

I know when I got my current card I had used it for several months. Then there was a large charge for supplies I purchased to do a dinner for about 100 people. By the time I got home DW had already received a call wanting to know if we had spent $xxx.xx at GFS.

Charlie

Theron, I guess you havent been into a post office lately. They ask for ID for every credit/debit card transaction. The trick of putting SEE ID on the back is not accepted either. I work for a hotel, we use credit/debit cards on EVERY transaction. We do ask to see an ID.

In fact AMERICAN EXPRESS will tell you to see an ID to compare signatures to avoid chargebacks. I think you need to check your sources on the " law ". Anyway, businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. They do not have to accept your credit card if they dont want to.

It's not the "law" I am reporting, but rather the official policy of Visa and Mastercard.

Here is Visa's policy document. Read page 29.

Here is MasterCard's policy document. Read paragraph 9.11.2 (on page 48 of the file).

It would seem a great many businesses are not following the rules. But it is clear that they are not following the rules. Apparently the company doesn't care.

BTW, If you are familiar with my posts at all, you will know that I am very careful about statements I make. I will either clearly label my opinion (which has no documented source) or I will clearly identify the source of factual statements I make. My first post on this subject also contained a link to a thread from a consumer advocacy blog, which had these links I've included here.

Theron

In sixteen cruises I have never taken my passport off the ship. Now as some persons on these boards say that I should, will they please explain to me how I can do this when half of the time I have to surrender it when I board!

For photo I D a drivers liceince is all you need, but I DO carry a photostat of my passport.

john

In sixteen cruises I have never taken my passport off the ship. Now as some persons on these boards say that I should, will they please explain to me how I can do this when half of the time I have to surrender it when I board!

For photo I D a drivers liceince is all you need, but I DO carry a photostat of my passport.

john

I agree.

I'm a seasoned traveler and I'd also add that I've had my wallet stolen twice. I've never had any issue where I needed my actual passport EXCEPT in cases where it is clearly explained that there is a requirement to have it (Russia, for example...) Thus, for me it makes more sense to leave the passport behind and not have to worry all day about its whereabouts.

There are pros and cons -- everyone has to make up his or her own mind.

john

John, I think we are referring to U.S. citizens in this thread, and I don't know if you are Canadian or not. I know the cruise lines usually collect non-U.S. citizen passports upon boarding, so you are wise to keep a copy of your passport with you.

cruisermom42: we are referring to UPCOMING changes in passport requirements for U.S. citizens, and those of us who take ours with us are encouraging others to get in the habit, because the day is coming soon where it will be required. As I've said repeatedly on these threads: for women, a neck purse keeps everything safe and "tucked in".

john

Actually, we met a British couple at our table one cruise. They demanded, and got back their passports to take them ashore in Mexico. They then returned them when they got back on the ship. A drivers license is useless in a foreign country, sure they may let you use it because it has your picture on it, but that's it.

john

Actually, we met a British couple at our table one cruise. They demanded, and got back their passports to take them ashore in Mexico. They then returned them when they got back on the ship. A drivers license is useless in a foreign country, sure they may let you use it because it has your picture on it, but that's it. 23 cruises, they have been in our pockets every time.

Archived