Need input from Alaska cruisers!

cookingchick

I'm doing the cruise planning legwork for my MIL who is taking her grandson (my nephew) on a cruise to Alaska this summer. My question to you Alaska experts: What kind of action (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) will my 18 year old nephew see on a cruise like this? Any wildlife for him (other than what he spots through binoculars from the ship deck)? I really want him to have a good time too...he's going to have his hands full with my MIL!! :rolleyes:

I'm choosing Princess because 1) I love Princess and 2) I referred her so I'll get a $25 OBC on my next cruise if she books Princess. :o I figure, hey, it's the least she could do considering all of the work I'm doing on this! LOL

Thanks for your insight!

It might depend on the ship...if they are taking the small Tahitian (670 pax)for 14 days, the "action" might be considerably different than taking one of the larger ships on their 7 day or 10 day cruises (1900 or 2400 pax)

It really depends on what his likes or dislike are. Check out the shore excursions and also go to the Ports of Call board for Alaska. All sorts of info there. You have to decide whether you want one way-7 days or r/t from Seattle. Most stops are in Juneau, Ketchikan and skagway. Look at those excursions.

Marilyn

It really depends on what his likes or dislike are. Check out the shore excursions and also go to the Ports of Call board for Alaska. All sorts of info there. You have to decide whether you want one way-7 days or r/t from Seattle. Most stops are in Juneau, Ketchikan and skagway. Look at those excursions.

Marilyn

I'm guessing this person missed the point of cookingchick's question. Cruised Alaska Sept '02 and as my memory recalls ( being married I didn't really pay attention) there was definitely some wildlife on board. But again I would figure wildlife viewed will vary cruise to cruise.

I'd say check with a park ranger but I don't this falls under their job description!

I'm guessing this person missed the point of cookingchick's question. Cruised Alaska Sept '02 and as my memory recalls ( being married I didn't really pay attention) there was definitely some wildlife on board. But again I would figure wildlife viewed will vary cruise to cruise.

I'd say check with a park ranger but I don't this falls under their job description!

LOL...thanks, zacc...that's exactly what I was wondering. I've read that the cruiselines sort of overlook those in that age bracket that are too old for the teen club but too young for the nightclubs and I don't want him to be bored to tears. We're looking at the Star Princess so I suspect with 2600 passengers, there should be a few his age to hang with. I don't have any kids of my own so I've never paid much attention to the activities on board for them. I have no doubt that we'll be able to find plenty of excursions to keep him happy.

It might depend on the ship...if they are taking the small Tahitian (670 pax)for 14 days, the "action" might be considerably different than taking one of the larger ships on their 7 day or 10 day cruises (1900 or 2400 pax)

Thanks, chrysalis...I hadn't thought about that. I checked out the ship that we're looking at, the Star, and see that it's 2600 pax so I'm sure he'll be able to find someone of his own "species" to connect with.;)

Oops. I saw the wildlife and I assumed he would like to see animals. If you would have said nightlife then I would have understood. I have been to Alaska in the summer(July) and yes there are kids. do ot remember how old as it was a few years ago.

Marilyn

Oops. I saw the wildlife and I assumed he would like to see animals. If you would have said nightlife then I would have understood. I have been to Alaska in the summer(July) and yes there are kids. do ot remember how old as it was a few years ago.

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn...LOL...sorry for the misunderstanding!

Zacc and I knew you meant girls. i know him from my Crown cruise. He should be ok. I loved the Star but did Alaska on Saphire. he will fibnd do the 7 am shore trips that night life is somewhat differennt at any age.

but do tell hin to go dog sledding and flightseeing too.

Other than a couple of the rangers and some of the crew, I didn't notice any "wildlife" worth mentioning. I wasn't really paying attention, but in general, the wildlife was more of the senior bears right before they go into hibernation type.

Marilyn

That's where the Wink Wink Nudge Nudge comes in. LOL!!!

Archived