bringing booze on the cruise...

I have never brought liquor with me on a cruise before but know people who have and have gone through these message boards extensively but have an additional question to those who might know the answer:

I plan on buying liquor before I board the ship as I am flying in and do not want to have a bottle in my checked luggage. I only want to bring a small bottle (750mL to 1L). It will be glass as that is all my brand of whiskey comes in. I also plan on arriving at the port early (about 5-6 hours before sailing time) and will stash the booze in my checked bag.

If I am one of the first to arrive does it give me a greater chance of having my liquor discovered? Any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.:)

I can't be certain, but judging by my last cruise with Carnival, I do not think you will have a problem with one bottle in your checked bag. I used bubble wrap around the bottle and put it snugly in amongst the clothes.

• 2 weeks later...

I researched this quite heavily for my first cruise. I simply put the booze (3 bottles worth) in my checked luggage, locked it up, and gave it to a porter. We arrived to the port early, got on board about 11:00, had some lunch up on the lido, toured the ship, then went to our cabin for a quick nap around 1:00. When we opened the cabin door at 2pm, there were our bags, and thus, I was able to start "smiling" early. I'll be doing the same thing next week, only the bottles will be bigger this time around. :D

always take our own drink on various cruise lines boxes of wine and 1l bottles never had any trouble.went on ncl once and when our cases arrived at the cabin they had large stickers all over them saying contains liquor.bit embassing but thats all they did even when we go on shore we wrap a bottle of local drink in beach towel and put it through the scanner nobodies ever questioned it.if you walk on with duty free bags beware you wont see your drink for days

I love reading about this subject!

I've only been on 6 cruises but all 6 of them we put several bottles in our luggage and checked the bags without any problems.

Twice last year I took 3 bottles of alcohol and a case of the steel Budweiser bottles that they sell on the ship for $8 each in one pc.of luggage and the other party had another pc.full of everything.

We just use bubble wrap and towels and never a problem. I can't see why everyone goes to extremes to hide it. Put it in a checked bag and your done.

I always felt like if they took the $50 worth which is 6 beers on the ship then so be it.

Good luck and happy sailing!!!

Not always as easy as you think- My son had put 1 bottle in his checked bag, locked ,and still got called to the "naughty" room along with about 75 other people to claim his bag. This was on NCL. My opinion is that they (security) know all the tricks on how people are trying to smugg;e alcohol onboard and it just depends on how they feel at that time. If it's not going to matter to you if they find it or not, then go for it. We are always willing to try.

I do not see what the big deal about this is, unless you are under 21.

I did not even know it was a problem. Or not allowed. Or whatever. I bout some rum in Puerto Rico, and took it on board. I got stopped and questioned, and they said they did not allow it. I told them I bought it, I am 21, and I am taking it on board NOW, unless they want to refund my ticket and fly me back to the US.

They never bothered me again.

Just quit being a wimp, stand up for your rights. A couple bottles never hurt anyone, and they know it.

I did not even know it was a problem. Or not allowed. Or whatever. I bout some rum in Puerto Rico, and took it on board. I got stopped and questioned, and they said they did not allow it. I told them I bought it, I am 21, and I am taking it on board NOW, unless they want to refund my ticket and fly me back to the US.

Just quit being a wimp, stand up for your rights. A couple bottles never hurt anyone, and they know it.

Not to sound like this may but it's in the rules that we agree to when we book a cruise. It almost sounds like you were being stubborn at someone trying to enforce the rules and was probably out of line. That doesn't mean we don't take liquor on board, we just can't complain about it if we get caught. When one stands up for their "rights", one should know what they are.

You really have NO right to bring the liquor on board. I agree with Blindrid. Many people bring liquor onboard "illegally". Great if they get to enjoy it and save a few dollars along the way. But they all know if it is confiscated, it was their choice to take the chance. It really has nothing to do with being a wimp or standing up for your rights. You signed off on that "right" the day you purchased the tickets. Read the ship regulations. If you cruise on a line which "allows" the practice, you won't have to try to intimidate the staff just doing their job.

I think that most agree that NCL is the toughest on the alcohol policy. Having never cruised them before, I was concerned so bought rum runners. Some were filled with bourbon, some with rum. Hubby also put miniatures in empty cigarette cartons and taped the cartons shut. All went right through with no call to the naughty room.

Also had an experience with buying some liquor in Belize. Bought two bottles and put them in two different backpacks which contained some water and soda bottles also. I figured if they caught it, I'd just play dumb and surrender it to them. Both backpacks went through the scanner together and one was handed right back to us. With the 2nd one, I was asked if I had liquor in it. I just played dumb and said that there was water and soda in there and started to unzip it to show them. The guy waved me on and so "go ahead".

We ended up having to pack some to bring home cause we took too much thinking that some would be confiscated. Go figure.

I have to agree with the other posters here. It is not about "rights" but rather that we sign a contract saying that we won't take alcohol on board, so the staff is only doing what the company is entitled to, which is to enforce a contract. The cruise lines set their fares lower, calculating that they will make up the revenue in alcohol sales.

Having said that, the practise of bringing alcohol on board is common and it seems in most cases they don't make a huge fuss about a bottle or so being brought in checked luggage.

I am curious how you can sneak a CASE of beer on board. We don't drink much rum, vodka and such but would love to have beer. Especially since it looks like Carnival doesn't even sells real beer on board. Just Budweiser and such. I am interested in reading your advice. I thought about just having an extra piece of luggage (like a fabric cooler) that would contain the beer but it seems awfully obvious. Thanks for the help.

I am curious how you can sneak a CASE of beer on board. We don't drink much rum, vodka and such but would love to have beer. Especially since it looks like Carnival doesn't even sells real beer on board. Just Budweiser and such. I am interested in reading your advice. I thought about just having an extra piece of luggage (like a fabric cooler) that would contain the beer but it seems awfully obvious. Thanks for the help.

Haven't done it but have heard two options which people have had success with.

1) Bring a regular sized cooler. Put beer on the bottom, cover with ice, add sodas and carry it on board. They will look in the cooler but will most likely not dig all the way through to the bottom and find the beer.

2) Buy 12 packs of canned soda. Empty out all the soda and fill carton with beer. Just be sure to put one soda in the middle (that shows through the handle) and two on the ends in case they open. Glue it to reseal the carton. You an either carry this on or ship an empty suitcase on the plane and add the beer to the empty suitcase when you get to the port and send it on the ship with your luggage.

Every cruise I have been on I have always snuck on liquor. I bought a gallon of bacardi and put it in an Evian bottle and put it in my locked luggage. I got to my room and it was a-ok! I think if it is clear liquor, you can put it in any bottle. But if you want to bring in dark liquor, the best thing to do is get a bottle of mouth wash, which has color anyway, empty it out and put your liquor in there. It is an "alcohol-based" liquid so how can they tell it is not mouth wash unless they open your luggage!

Is there any good way of getting glass bottles of beer on board? We don't care for canned beer. The beer we drink doesn't even come canned.

Also, is it true they won't hassle you if you bring a sixer back in your back-pack in a port stop? Or will they take this away too? Thanks.

The hubby and I sailed on the Caribbean Princess last year and we each put a bottle of liquor in our checked bag (wrapped in clothes). Our TA told us that everyone does it. It traveled undamaged from Oregon to Florida and got to our room just fine, no problems at all. Don't know if it helped, but we tipped the porters. :)

Archived