snorkel equipment provided?

Oh yes. No problem.

When you get on board the ship you will go through the door next to excursion desk to the back of the ship. Go down the stairs where the "experts" will fit you properly. Your gear will be put in a bag. Then you take it with you to your cabin and keep it until the 2nd day before the end of your cruise when you return it and get checked off.

By the way.

If anyone is interested in a galley or bridge tour aboard the Paul Gauguin ask at the reception desk. They normally don't announce these so you have to ask.

Some people take their own mask and snorkel. I do, but mine is prescription. If you like snorkelling, it's worth it to do that. You also get a good fit that way, although the ship's stuff is pretty good, and they will find you another mask if you have problems.

Just to avoid any confusion, the answer to the question which was initially asked is NO (as Jim B stated). If you sign up for snorkeling excursions in the Caribbean the tour operator will of course provide equipment. If you plan on snorkeling on your own, you'll either have to bring your own equipment or rent / purchase some from a local shop.

Thanks for the tip about the Baths tour. We are planning on doing that tour next month and I wouldn't have thought to bring my snorkeling gear with me.

Did you enjoy the tour or would you recommend it?

thanks

Yes it was interesting. It's just a quick jaunt along the "spine" road of the island, with some stops at scenic viewpoints. I got a great shot of DW at the high point with all the other islands marching off into the distance in a beautiful blue sea. I use it as the background on my work PC. Everone that sees it comments on how awesome the shot is and asks where it was taken.

You have the option of getting off at the Baths and making your own way back. There are inexpensive shuttle trucks running.

Bring your own food/water as the "establishments" at the Baths looked rather hit and miss. Also, make sure you have a waterproof container for your valuables, as you will not want to leave them on the beach, as there are a lot of people milling around.

I got surprised by the biggest barricuda I've ever seen coming out of a small underwater cave...

• 2 weeks later...

On your excursion to the baths, were you given any time to snorkel at the baths, or if you wanted to spend time at the baths you had to leave the tour and find your way back? I hope I phrased that so it makes sense. :) In other words - we really aren't interested in the tour of Virgin Gorda and were just using this as a way to quickly get to the baths without having to deal with ferries and such to get over to Virgin Gorda so that we could go to the baths. But if the baths is more of an afterthought on this tour - we might should rethink it. You said you took a shuttle bus back on your own - but how did you get back to Tortola? Did you hook back up with the tour or use the ferries?

Thanks for the help!

Mariner anchored off Virgin Gorda on our trip. I'm not sure the Baths are worth a ferry ride, etc. They are basically a bunch of house-sized granite boulders at the shore line with small beaches in between. The snorkeling was really no better than elsewhere in BVIs, though the view back to shore from in the water was quite unique.

If you are going to be on VG anyway, they are worth a stop, as was the quick island tour. The island tour goes by the parking area for the Baths and gives you the opportunity to leave the tour and walk down to the Baths and then return on your own schedule, by just hopping on one of the open-air shuttle trucks or taxis that swing by periodically. It might have been like $6 US each for a ride back to the marina on the open-air shuttle.

Ragnar,

Carolyn and I are on the April 7 Mariner cruise. Hope we meet people as nice as you and your wife were last year.

Also booked next year on the March 11 2009 Navigator.

Bill and Carolyn

Thanks Bill. I wish we were joining you on one of those trips. We have a new, LARGE, male Doberman puppy (almost a year old now) that is quite the prima donna and we're having trouble getting away. Our long-time dog-sitter inherited a couple of million bucks and moved away :( Mrs. D retired in June and is now a full-time dog-mother...

Our trips since his arrival on the scene have been with him along (Central Coast of CA, etc.). We're doing a road trip to Sedona here in two weeks and taking him with us. We're staying at a nice B&B that is dog-friendly. We have a 4wd and will be exploring the jeep trails around Sedonna during the day and walking around town in the evenings. There are supposedly several nice restaurants that have outdoor patios and allow crumb-catchers under the table :)

Once the dog is a bit more independant and can be boarded, or we find a reliable house/dog-sitter, we'll be out on the high seas again! Keep us posted on your trips and maybe we can meet up again.

(I just added the 3/11/09 Navigator to my calander and will look into it, hopefully we can ditch the hound for a couple of weeks by then.)

Archived