What HAL does for the hearing handicapped

Sundagger

Many thanks Tlseven and Whiterose for your stories.

How long ago did you have your surgeries and what implant did you choose (if you were allowed a choice)?

It is interesting that most people chose Cochlear as their implant, but Rocky Stone, the founder of HLAA, chose Bionic Ear when he had his implant in the 1990's. I met Rocky at several of the National Conventions before his implant and he was a marvelous lipreader, but nearly totally deaf. After he had his implant, I was invited to his sister's house in L.A. (she was an HOH friend of mine) to see Rocky when he visited her. It was amazing - he could talk on the phone, he didn't have face me to read my lips, he could hear me from across the room.

I live in Southern CA & my HMO is Kaiser. Are you familiar with Kaiser - they are very big in CA and a few other areas? Several of my friends were implanted at the Kaiser Hospital in the San Fernando Valley of L.A. and swear by their dr's. But that was quite a while ago (10 years).

Most of the many people I know who had implants went to the House Institute in L.A. which is a major national and international hearing center for research, development, implants etc. I would feel much better going to the House Institute, but my HMO won't allow it because they have the facilities.

I should start to investigate the implant now, and probably would if I could go to the House Institute. As it is, I'll probably wait:o .

Yeah Rocky Stone was the most amazing man and I real inspiration to the rest of us. I had my surgery almost 10 years ago and I also chose Advanced Bionics. My HMO is also Kaiser and they paid for me to go to Johns Hopkins - only cost to me was $5 copay for outpatient surgery - what a bargain.

I know a lot of folk with implants and they seem to be devided almost half and half between the Cochlear Corporation's Nucleus CI and the Advanced Bionics Bionic Ear.

Yeah Rocky Stone was the most amazing man and I real inspiration to the rest of us. I had my surgery almost 10 years ago and I also chose Advanced Bionics. My HMO is also Kaiser and they paid for me to go to Johns Hopkins - only cost to me was $5 copay for outpatient surgery - what a bargain.

I know a lot of folk with implants and they seem to be devided almost half and half between the Cochlear Corporation's Nucleus CI and the Advanced Bionics Bionic Ear.

Thanks Whiterose for your info. It's interesting that Kaiser paid for you to go to Johns Hopkins. I don't think they'll do it now that they have their own departments & have been doing them since the late 1990's - here in CA anyhow.

Do you know what the difference is between Bionic Ear and the Cochlear product? Except for Rocky Stone, I don't know anyone else with Bionic. A friend of mine is an Official Advocate for Cochlear Corporation and she is so gung ho about it, I'm afraid she'll steamroll right over me. I knew her when she was deaf and after she got her implant. The difference was amazing; however, she still is not a normal hearing person although she thinks she is. I notice that she misses a lot which she either doesn't know or won't admit.

I'm terrific at trivia (lots of useless info in my head), but have never played on a cruise. I stopped by the Crows Nest once to see how it worked, but couldn't make out what the CD was saying. Have any of you participated in Trivia onboard? I understand that it is verbal, not written, so how do you cope with that? Have someone in your group repeat the questions?

I've only been on one cruise with the Explorations Cafe, and didn't discover the written trivia game there until the end of the cruise.

Sundagger, DH and I play trivia all the time. The one cruise where we were with a large group of deaf and HOH, they had their ASL interpreter sign the trivia questions--and answers for them. For the basic trivia, if you talked to the social host ahead of time, I think you could get them to give you the questions in writing, or speak louder/slower, or do something for you.

On our most recent cruise, DH and I came upon a beanbag toss tournament, and we thought we could do it. After the first tournament, we learned there would be several more, so we arranged for a particular day, and joined the crowd. In our case, they allowed me to bang on the target board so DH could aim his throws. The host was keeping score anyway, and helped by handing DH the proper beanbags. We didn't win, but we weren't skunked either. I think our opponents were a little freaked by playing against a blind guy, but they got over it. We had fun.

Lately, I've noticed the addition of more multimedia trivia games, especially movie and sports trivia, where they show a scene from a movie or sports game and ask questions about it. DH gave up on those. I simply can't explain the scenes quick enough. But HOH could probably do them with a little help. The one I think you'd like was a history quiz on DVD, where they played background music (which didn't matter to the game) and showed a series of historic scenes with a year. It was your job to figure out what event was depicted in each scene. We actually won that one with a perfect score, though it was a challenge for me to describe the pix in less than 8 seconds. Lucky for us we're good at dates, LOL.

If you are good at trivia, I'd encourage you to check them out. Some games will be duds, but others may be workable for you--especially if you can team up with someone who writes fast and can write the questions for you. (For obvious reasons, you probably don't want to be talking too loudly with your partner--the other teams are listening to you!)

Good luck.

Has anyone had an interesting or embarrassing experience on a cruise due to a disability? On my recent cruise on Galaxy, I had finished a hot shower in my washroom, dried myself and put on a bathrobe when three security people burst into my stateroom. The steam from the shower had activated the smoke alarm in my cabin. They pointed to the alarm in the cabin ceiling which was flashing a very tiny red light, and then I understood. They apologized for the intrusion and then left. Good thing that I had the bathrobe on! :D

Donald.

Yes, though it was really more embarrassing for the other person. A couple years ago, DH was alone in our cabin and decided to go out on the balcony for a while. He didn't see the puddles on the floor or the wet chair. So he steps out the door, just as the cabin steward on the deck above dumped a second bucket of dirty cleaning water over the edge of the balcony above us--right onto DH! Our own cabin steward was so embarrassed when he found out. I think he thought we wouldn't tip him after that. Of course we did. It was simply an amusing accident that provides stories for boards like this.

That's why I was so thrilled when you 1st mentioned the ADA package available on HAL. It had never occurred to me that cruiseships were subject to the ADA. Initially I was under the impression HAL was not a U.S. corporation & I thought the ADA only applied to U.S. companies.

You've heard the phantom knocks too, huh:) ?

Technically, HAL is not subject to the ADA, not because of the corporation, but because the ships are not registered in the US, so you are actually on foreign ground when on board, and not subject to US law. BUT, there are such a lot of US-based passengers who don't give a rat's a--- about the legal technicalities, it's to the advantage of all the cruise lines to provide the accommodations when they can--even if they don't have to. And to their credit, I think they genuinely want to do good, whether the law forces them to or not.

Yes, HAL is a US corporation. Even if it weren't, the Supreme Court in "Spector vs Norwegian Cruise Lines" ruled that cruise ships using US ports are subject to the ADA. Unfortunately, the rules and regulations haven't been set forth yet.

A decent discussion is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spector_v._Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Ltd.

But they can only enforce the rules in the US port; once in international waters, they can't enforce it. The cruise lines argue that this is an unreasonable hardship, since they typically visit mostly foreign ports, and one can hardly change the rules from day to day on the ships. This is the roadblock that is holding up implementation. Hard to say which way it will ultimately go.

Actually, the United States can enforce its laws, if folks are subject to them, anywhere in the world. Many of our law enforcement agencies bill themselves as "worldwide". Surely, for things like this, they won't violate another country's sovereignty, but they surely can take action, against the ship, its crew, but most importantly, against the cruise line, at some point later, when the ship returns to an American port. No cruise line deliberately violates the ADA. That's a red herring. As Sundagger indicated, the issue is that specifically what those cruise lines are and are not required to do has not be set forth in legislation or regulations. The government needs to be made to care enough about this to issue same, before major changes can be expected.

Actually, the United States can enforce its laws, if folks are subject to them, anywhere in the world. Many of our law enforcement agencies bill themselves as "worldwide". Surely, for things like this, they won't violate another country's sovereignty, but they surely can take action, against the ship, its crew, but most importantly, against the cruise line, at some point later, when the ship returns to an American port. No cruise line deliberately violates the ADA. That's a red herring. As Sundagger indicated, the issue is that specifically what those cruise lines are and are not required to do has not be set forth in legislation or regulations. The government needs to be made to care enough about this to issue same, before major changes can be expected.

Not much chance of that, I'm afraid, based on past experience.

Thanks Whiterose for your info. It's interesting that Kaiser paid for you to go to Johns Hopkins. I don't think they'll do it now that they have their own departments & have been doing them since the late 1990's - here in CA anyhow.

Do you know what the difference is between Bionic Ear and the Cochlear product? Except for Rocky Stone, I don't know anyone else with Bionic. A friend of mine is an Official Advocate for Cochlear Corporation and she is so gung ho about it, I'm afraid she'll steamroll right over me. I knew her when she was deaf and after she got her implant. The difference was amazing; however, she still is not a normal hearing person although she thinks she is. I notice that she misses a lot which she either doesn't know or won't admit.

What's the difference between a Cadillac Seville and a Lincoln Continental? A CI is a CI. Yes, there are differences, but both work! Both will "get you there." Almost everyone I know has Advanced Bionics and I have been to the AB headquarters in CA, to take part in research studies. (A 4-day, all expense paid trip, with 2 days of testing.)

When you go for testing with the audiologist, you're given the chance to pick which implant you want. I thought the surgeon would recommend what he thought would work best for me; not so. When techies compare the two brands, they go on and on about channels. Over my head and who cares? If it works, it works. I chose AB because the casing on the processor was slightly thinner and fit between my head and my ear a little more comfortably. Also, at that time, Cochlear used 2 coils inside the head and the audi stated that might cause a bit of vertigo Might. I didn't want to chance it, so I picked AB with only one coil.

Back to the car comparison: given that either vehicle will get you there, what should you be more concerned about? Warranty, service, extras. The AB Auria has a 3-yr warranty and I've already replaced two cords. The cord tends to wear at the connection point to the magnetic disk. I'm getting ready to return a third and after July I'll have to pay for what appears to be an annual breakage. Since this is a $17,000 piece of equipment, it surprises me that the processor accessories are of such weak quality. Don't know if Cochlear is any better.

There should be more of a trial period in these choices. Before the surgery and hook up, what do you know about what will work best for you? I picked both BTE processors (you get two of everything, which is handy when you have to return a part for repair or replacement). After wearing the processor over my ear like an h.a. for a few months, I was wishing I'd chosen the battery pack model as my second unit. I could wear it around home and take the weight off my ear and then wear the BTE when out in public.

So, there are many factors to consider. Take your time and ask about the follow up service and warranties.

As for your friend who misses a lot, I know a woman with two implants who still misses a lot but wouldn't go back to aids for all the tea in China. In observing her, though, I think she'd get a lot more if she'd pay attention. A lot of implant users stop speech reading and paying close attention to conversational clues and using all the tactics they did when wearing hearing aids. They think, "I can hear" and forget they're still deaf people. I sometimes fail to pay close attention too b/c in ideal situations, I don't need to. In less ideal arenas, I have to remind myself to pay attention, watch body language, speech read ... the whole nine yards.

Terri

1. My cochlear implant didn't "cure" tinnitus, but I must say it is greatly lessened, sometimes non-existent, and rarely bad enough to send me to bed. I'm sure this aspect varies from person to person.

2. I'm familiar with Kaiser and feel you're darn lucky to have a plan with them. We have them in Indianapolis, but they don't have a surgeon certified to do CIs.

3. Yes, many otolaryngologists will tell you a CI will only give you sound. Well, what are words but sound? Some people have to work very hard to learn to interpret "this sound is that word." But there are many, many resources for help with this. Here, we have audiologists at the local Easter Seals rehabilitation center. My friend who hadn't heard anything of use for 35 years, was told to expect very little. Her mother and some audi friends worked with her daily. Within a month, she was hearing weather reports and baseball games on the car radio. And that was/is without any lips to read!

3. Yes, we're still connected from processor to the implant with the cord and magnetic disk. The belt clip for the battery pack is a matter of choice. I recommend one of each, but that's a very personal choice. I do know that AB is considering offering a clip on holder for the battery only. I've tested two types. They take the weight of the battery off your ear so that only the processor goes behind the ear (BTE).

4. The one advantage to the 3-yr delay in getting Medicare and signing up for my surgery is that in that time, the FDA removed Med-EL from the US market. It's never been let back in. If I'd have had the surgery when first anticipated, I'd be stuck with a Med-El unit right now. And in the 3 yrs, AB also came out with the Auria and its many improvements. AB already has an upgrade for that. It's supposed to provide clear music and other sounds. I'm not upgrading b/c it's expensive.

5. For two years, I said "if I were younger and in the workplace daily, I'd have a second implant." Now, I wish Medicare would pay for a second. I know several people with two and they say it's as close to natural sound as you could possibly get w/o normal hearing. Of course, that's what I used to think about one implant.

6. When you're first hooked up and able to hear speech, everyone sounds alike. After about 3 months, you can distinguish one voice from another. For at least a year - or two? - everything sounds as if it's coming from a radio or tv. You hear each word clearly but it has a "transmitted" quality. Now, at almost 3 years, I think everything sounds first hand and normal. So, imagine what it would be to have that on BOTH sides.

7. My cousin had Meniere's Disease and woke one Christmas morning, totally deaf. Lost the last of his hearing overnight. He waited 10 yrs before he was able to get a CI. His insurance paid for it.

If the otolaryngologist hadn't discouraged my mother, she'd have had the surgery about 15 years ago and would have a very different life today. As soon as I was hooked up, I was wishing I'd had had a CI 10 years earlier. What I heard - and hear - is far better than anything I ever heard with a hearing aid. So, don't wait too long. If you're struggling to understand in the best of conditions, make life easier for yourself. Don't be deterred by all the audis or drs. who tell you not to expect much. I went in expecting the earth, moon and stars - and got every bit of it!

8. Last point - and again, sorry for the length, but I do want to support anyone with hearing loss. When I was in Rochester, NY, last October, I met I. King Jordan, the first deaf pres of Gallaudet Univ. I told him I'd had a CI and regained 94% of my hearing. He was thrilled for me and later spoke of our exchange during a luncheon speech. He said he hoped I still realized I'm a deaf person. He talked about how we first lose our hearing and then learn to be deaf.

The next day, I spoke during the departure brunch and replied that yes, I do know I'm a deaf person. I've been blessed with something that allows me to hear, but w/o it, I am deaf. The odd thing is that I fought "deaf" all the years I wore hearing aids. I did NOT want to be a deaf person. I'd admit to being "deafened" or partially hearing - but did not want to give up any hearing I had and worked very, very hard to use it. Now that I can hear clearly in most situations, it's easy to admit being a deaf person. Put me at a long table in a noisy restaurant and I'm right back where I was with a hearing aid so life isn't carefree. Still, I know ENT drs waited too long to recommend hearing aids for me. Audis and drs waited too long to recommend CI. Don't wait. Get the info, get the testing, and make the decision for yourself.

TLS

I like Terri's way of describing the difference between the two major implant companies - both are good and both implants will "get you where you want to go" which is back into the hearing world.

The scary thing for me was that there are no guarantees with the implant. You might be a super star and start using a regular phone within weeks or it may take you years to reach that point. Some people work really hard, listening to tapes, getting listening rehab etc and others, like me, just meander along enjoying the adventure of learning to hear again.

All I can say is that it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

You know how the cruise ships have meetings for Friends of Bill W and Friends of Dorothy etc so why not have meetings for Friends of Hearing Loss Association or Friends of Cochlear - it would be fun to share stories.

8. Last point - and again, sorry for the length, but I do want to support anyone with hearing loss. When I was in Rochester, NY, last October, I met I. King Jordan, the first deaf pres of Gallaudet Univ. I told him I'd had a CI and regained 94% of my hearing. He was thrilled for me and later spoke of our exchange during a luncheon speech. He said he hoped I still realized I'm a deaf person. He talked about how we first lose our hearing and then learn to be deaf.

Interesting comments from him. He has often been described around campus as a very "hearing" deaf person...to explain what that means would be complicated if you are not familiar with deaf culture, but basically it means that he is very integrated with hearing culture and does not experience some of the social difficulties that other deaf people do. He also lost a lot of status in the community when he ordered the arrests of students during the protest back in 2006...it was not a good time for him.

As for me, I went to my first hearing aid fitting today. I will be getting Oticon Epoqs sometime next week. It is scary and exciting all at the same time!

Terri - first, and foremost, thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us. I have learned a lot just from reading your posts. My feelings are in alignment with Golfette right now and i'll stay on the sidelines and continue to research for a while longer. For me, it's a cosmetic thing - still not ready to see myself wearing all of the hardware. It's the same way i felt about HA's and i have no problem wearing them in public now, so i hope i will overcome this phobia i have. To their credit, my Auds have been telling me that i am a candidate and have been feeding me information but have also been saying that only i can make the decision. It is a big one, indeed. I'm happy you and whiterose have success stories to share. It really does make a difference to me.

whiterose - when this thread first began i was imagining all of us getting together for a cruise and i am still open to it. i think it would be fun as well. i still have yet to go to my first HLA or HLDA meeting so it's all fun new to me. ;)

bicker - I would think that with all the baby-boomers being the age where hearing becomes more an issue that there would be sheer number to force legislation. However, as we've discussed before, it's a matter of getting people to admit they have a hearing issue and then speak up and demand to have their voices heard. We have to become educated and get in front of our federal reps in Washington. I now know that is what HLA is for and (now that i know about them) i'm going to see if i can help the cause in some way. I really feel we only have ourselves to blame for not speaking up. just my .02.:rolleyes: ...and yes, Golfette, I know you've been there.

etoile - congrats! hope they work well for you. let us know how you make out with them.

-dave.

bicker - I would think that with all the baby-boomers being the age where hearing becomes more an issue that there would be sheer number to force legislation.
It might seem that way on the surface, but it just isn't happening. I think a lot of older baby-boomers are not willing to make the issue their own, preferring to just bump-up the volume of the television.

However, as we've discussed before, it's a matter of getting people to admit they have a hearing issue and then speak up and demand to have their voices heard.
And getting them to accept that closed captions is an improvement to their television viewing experience... just think of that very commonly-used term: "television viewing experience". When referring to television, folks rarely consider the audio portion, but venerate the video portion. People seem much more willing to "live with" moderate reductions in audio, either due to technological issues or biological ones.

On some of the high-end video forums, folks are up-in-arms about a small reduction in high-def bit-rate, resulting in some minor graininess, that you almost need a magnifying glass to detect. I never see any threads picking such nits with respect to the audio.

I think the issue is that as long as folks can get what they want out of television without closed captions, many of them are going to do so, and that those folks will only start considering the value of closed captions when they truly can no longer hear effectively. That bit of human nature works against what we (in this thread) want and need. I don't know the answer, but I believe that solving that quandary would contribute greatly to furthering our aims.

bicker - I would think that with all the baby-boomers being the age where hearing becomes more an issue that there would be sheer number to force legislation.
It might seem that way on the surface, but it just isn't happening. I think a lot of older baby-boomers are not willing to make the issue their own, preferring to just bump-up the volume of the television.

However, as we've discussed before, it's a matter of getting people to admit they have a hearing issue and then speak up and demand to have their voices heard.
And getting them to accept that closed captions is an improvement to their television viewing experience... just think of that very commonly-used term: "television viewing experience". When referring to television, folks rarely consider the audio portion, but venerate the video portion.

On some of the high-end video forums, folks are up-in-arms about a small reduction in high-def bit-rate, resulting in some minor graininess, that you almost need a magnifying glass to detect. I never see any threads picking such nits with respect to the audio. People seem much more willing to "live with" moderate degradation in what they hear, whether it is because of technical issues, or biological ones.

I think the issue is that as long as folks can get what they want out of television without closed captions, many of them are going to do so, and that those folks will only start considering the value of closed captions when they truly can no longer hear effectively. That bit of human nature works against what we (in this thread) want and need. I don't know the answer, but I believe that solving that quandary would contribute greatly to furthering our aims.

Yes, when people can just turn up the volume and get what they consider adequate *information* from the programming, they will go ahead and irritate the people who live with them and possibly their neighbors.

I know a lot of people without hearing loss strongly object to the "distraction" of captioning. Long ago, I had trouble finding people to go to foreign films with me because of the subtitles. Since I don't speak Swedish or French, I got used to the "captioning" in order to view what I wanted. Now that I absolutely need captioning to understand anything broadcast, I periodically have to contact a TV station or network to get them to take the situation seriously.

I live in a "small market" TV viewing area, so the stations aren't required to caption their news broadcasts. What they do in place of that is to run the teleprompter information in the caption area. Unfortunately, the teleprompter info is poorly worded and rarely is broadcast to coincide with the newscaster's speech - the "captioning" is always far ahead or far behind what is being spoken live and often is truncated. The stations' and the FCC's view is that real time captioning is too expensive in the small markets.

Then they had a problem with some of their local news crawlers (like winter school closings) obscuring the captions from the networks. That turned out to be a minor technical issue that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I periodically have to remind them of the problem when they don't pay attention.

The national newscasts do have real time captioning, but ... it often lags so far behind the actual speech that it is difficult to know who said what. I've contacted networks to get them to pay more attention to the problem. If the captioning isn't concurrent, then you might as well read the newspaper. The networks have been responsive and the captioning services they use actually are very concerned with providing good service. They do need to be reminded that it is very important to a large group of viewers.

On HAL, the new TVs have captioning available. However, HAL is erratic in transmitting the captions. In January, I was glad to see quite a bit of the programming captioned, but there are networks/programs that I *know* are captioned that they didn't transmit the captions for. Major sports events are always captioned, but they weren't transmitted by HAL. They use a service to obtain the programming while at sea - I guess periodically reminding HAL to require the service to transmit the captions is necessary.

It's a huge problem for many of us who rely on captioning, but, as you say, too many people who actually would benefit from the service aren't using it.

On HAL, the new TVs have captioning available. However, HAL is erratic in transmitting the captions. In January, I was glad to see quite a bit of the programming captioned, but there are networks/programs that I *know* are captioned that they didn't transmit the captions for. Major sports events are always captioned, but they weren't transmitted by HAL. They use a service to obtain the programming while at sea - I guess periodically reminding HAL to require the service to transmit the captions is necessary.

It's a huge problem for many of us who rely on captioning, but, as you say, too many people who actually would benefit from the service aren't using it.

I have found captioning to be hit-and-miss on all cruise ships I've been on. I have relied on captioning for a very long time, because of my hearing loss; although I can turn up the volume a few more notches and hear it okay, DW finds it unbearably loud at those levels, so we leave it turned down and I use the captions. The remotes in the cabin don't operate the menu/captions, but I can usually work it out with the buttons on the front. Even then some programs don't have captions, just as you say...I usually settle for watching something that does have captions.

Tlseven - that you so much for your very comprehensive answer. It was not too long at all. I felt I was "listening" to someone who had been there and was telling me how it really was.

I guess I am lucky in that I don't have Tinnitus (yet). You mentioned that at a dinner table in a crowded room, you were still back at square one. Unfortunately, my social life involves mostly large dinner group functions in banquet rooms, or traveling with groups of 4 - 16 people & eating out etc. in a group. So, basically, the implant won't be much of a help in this regard, I guess???:(

I'm not young, but I golf and walk 18 holes 3 times a week, plus the various many monthly tournaments etc. etc. etc. When walking during a game with the 3 others in my 4-some, I cannot hear what they are saying unless I am right next to them & even then if the 3 of them are talking together, I still can't understand.

Can you understand 2 - 4 people talking together in quieter environments?

I agree that I should not wait much longer before I investigate the implants and I am putting out feelers now. Thank you again for your very informative and enlightening comments.

Terri - first, and foremost, thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us. I have learned a lot just from reading your posts. My feelings are in alignment with Golfette right now and i'll stay on the sidelines and continue to research for a while longer. For me, it's a cosmetic thing - still not ready to see myself wearing all of the hardware. It's the same way i felt about HA's and i have no problem wearing them in public now, so i hope i will overcome this phobia i have. To their credit, my Auds have been telling me that i am a candidate and have been feeding me information but have also been saying that only i can make the decision. It is a big one, indeed. I'm happy you and whiterose have success stories to share. It really does make a difference to me.

bicker - I would think that with all the baby-boomers being the age where hearing becomes more an issue that there would be sheer number to force legislation. However, as we've discussed before, it's a matter of getting people to admit they have a hearing issue and then speak up and demand to have their voices heard. We have to become educated and get in front of our federal reps in Washington. I now know that is what HLA is for and (now that i know about them) i'm going to see if i can help the cause in some way. I really feel we only have ourselves to blame for not speaking up. just my .02.:rolleyes: ...and yes, Golfette, I know you've been there.

-dave.

Dave, I haven't even really considered the "cosmetic" impact of implants and (I don't know how to say this any other way) I am considered a quite attractive woman who loves clothes etc. I am very trim and have very short hair. It don't matter baby - I wanna hear! I am starting to look at implants now. I don't want to be on the outside looking in all the time. Possibly you haven't "gotten there yet," or maybe your life is not impacted as much by your inability to hear as mine is becoming.

I am starting to investigate the implants. I have initially decided not to look into the hybrid because it is too new. I believe my left ear is considerably worse than my right (which isn't saying much) & I'm going to check that out. If it is, I may consider the implant in that ear. I don't know ..., I'm scared to death - but the time has come to take some action.

I am so glad to hear that you want to become active in the HLA world. We desperately need people like you and all of us posting on this thread.

Keep up the good work everyone:) !

Dave, I haven't even really considered the "cosmetic" impact of implants and (I don't know how to say this any other way) I am considered a quite attractive woman who loves clothes etc. I am very trim and have very short hair. It don't matter baby - I wanna hear!

You go, girl! :D

I am starting to look at implants now. I don't want to be on the outside looking in all the time. Possibly you haven't "gotten there yet," or maybe your life is not impacted as much by your inability to hear as mine is becoming.
My FM system works quite well for me - even in somewhat noisy situations and when people are across the table or even in church (i hook it up directly to the sound system so that there's less outside noise). I find that between the FM system and being able to read lips helps me tremendously and gives me a little more time before i have to get the CI's.

I am starting to investigate the implants. I have initially decided not to look into the hybrid because it is too new. I believe my left ear is considerably worse than my right (which isn't saying much) & I'm going to check that out. If it is, I may consider the implant in that ear. I don't know ..., I'm scared to death - but the time has come to take some action.
One of the major reasons for me thinking about the CI's is that the popular opinion is that it is better than not hearing at all in the particular ear having the surgery. That's almost a no-brainer for those who have virtually lost all hearing. However, if CI surgery doesn't prevent the ear from creating noise on its own (tinnitus, etc) then i really wonder how much gain i will ever see?

TLS gave me hope, though with the insight given in his/her post. I really am starting to investigate more now. My hope is that they'll get the hybrids right before i'm ready to take the plunge.:o

I have found captioning to be hit-and-miss on all cruise ships I've been on. I have relied on captioning for a very long time, because of my hearing loss; although I can turn up the volume a few more notches and hear it okay, DW finds it unbearably loud at those levels, so we leave it turned down and I use the captions. The remotes in the cabin don't operate the menu/captions, but I can usually work it out with the buttons on the front. Even then some programs don't have captions, just as you say...I usually settle for watching something that does have captions.
I'm lost without captioning - especially on news programs. I always think i'm disturbing the folks next door if i turn up the volume when in hotels or in public spaces so i tend to also look for captioning - if it's available.

I am just discovering how to turn on captioning on my PC media players and have just learned that certain movie theaters offer "Rear Window" captioning and the like. Have any of you used the captioning at movie theaters? What's your take on them?

-dave.

I'm lost without captioning - especially on news programs. I always think i'm disturbing the folks next door if i turn up the volume when in hotels or in public spaces so i tend to also look for captioning - if it's available.

I am just discovering how to turn on captioning on my PC media players and have just learned that certain movie theaters offer "Rear Window" captioning and the like. Have any of you used the captioning at movie theaters? What's your take on them?

-dave.

I have used RWC once. It's pretty nice, I know a lot of people who don't like looking back and forth and they prefer Open Captioned movies. (You can find them in your area: http://www.insightcinema.org/ ) I didn't find RWC too bad, and it lets you choose from more movies than just what's available OC. I recommend you sit in the back half of the theater though; I was up front and it made the captions pretty small and hard to read. They will be bigger if you sit further back though.

You go, girl! :D

My FM system works quite well for me - even in somewhat noisy situations and when people are across the table or even in church (i hook it up directly to the sound system so that there's less outside noise). I find that between the FM system and being able to read lips helps me tremendously and gives me a little more time before i have to get the CI's.

-dave.

Dave, (or any of you who use FM systems) do you use your FM system in a restaurant or banquet setting? Or at meals on a cruise? Do you have a mike that you hold up to people who are talking or a unit you place on the table? What system do you have?

I've been away from the HOH world for about 7 - 8 years. Some people in my HLAA group used mikes which they would hold up to people who were talking in a conversation setting. I know you can ask to put a microphone on the speaker at a lecture, etc.

However, in a conversational, social situation, it was a cumbersome thing to do. Is it any easier now?

We (our LA HLAA group) tested the Rear Window system when it first came out. It worked fine for us even then, but I had no idea it was still in use anywhere. We have captioned movies occasionally here, but they are quite some distance away. For a lazy person like me, it's easier to wait till it comes out on DVD.

Thanks, etoile & Golfette for the response. I'm going to theaters that have both systems and see how they fare. Gosh, can't even remember the last movie i saw in the theater. Guess i'm just as lazy...

Dave, (or any of you who use FM systems) do you use your FM system in a restaurant or banquet setting? Or at meals on a cruise? Do you have a mike that you hold up to people who are talking or a unit you place on the table? What system do you have?

I use the Phonak Smartlink SX. it's about 3.5" long and the mic is built into the side, but you can also have an external mic if you wish. the internal mic is VERY good, though, IMO. Using it I was able to understand DW without lip reading while she was in the other room. Pretty remarkable for me.

But, for me, the best feature is that it has an FM and an FM+Mic setting. FM setting is when only the SmartLink's mic is being used. The HA mics are disabled. With the FM+Mic setting you can have both the SmartLink and your HA mics on. Which you use depends on your settings. In noisy restaurants with only DW and i always use FM, but in larger surroundings i'll use FM+Mic.

In noisy environments (banquets, round dinner tables, etc) i usually put the receiver on the other end of the table so i can hear those people talking - if we're all in the same conversation. The theory here is to lessen the amount of external noise by putting the sound source closer to the mic. The mic can be set for omnidirectional or placed in two smaller directional settings. This allows for more filtering of noise. I find this to be less noticeable, but still helpful. If i want to talk to someone closer to me i can manually change the program on my HA's so that i am no longer using the SmartLink. If i want to go back to it i just change the program settings on my HA's again.

I also use it for church by hooking it right into our sound system. I leave it in the back room with the sound system and it broadcasts to me through the wall to where i'm sitting - a good 35 to 40 feet away. I rarely hear a baby cry or people mucking about since my major sound source is whatever is coming through the audio system (FM only setting). This is also good for lectures. You can either have the person wear it (via the lavalier cord) or you can just place it on the podium in front of the speaker.

You can read more about it here.

http://www.phonak.com/consumer/products/fm/smartlink.htm

Since it's the only one i've tried i can't say whether others are better or not. All i know is that it's helping to prolong my CI decision since i still have room to grow with the frequency response it offers me. Obviously, your mileage may vary. I believe the FM "boot" (receiver) is compatible with some other manufacturers HA's, but not all.

-dave.