What HAL does for the hearing handicapped

Sundagger

Hi, Betty,

Welcome to the discussion.

I have to agree with Golfette on this one; 8 is not only too many, it's too far away...meaning the sound never gets to me so i don't understand those folks on the other side of the dining...um...table. well, they may as well be on the other side of the dining room since i can't understand them.

Obviously, YHMV (Your hearing may vary :)), but i wouldn't do it.

On another subject (which will keep HALL happy), i sent an email today to get the "Special Requirements Form" so i could fill it out and make sure my buzzer and light flasher et al was in the room when i got on board. Less than an hour after sending it i got a response from Seattle telling me that it had already been submitted. :D I guess my TA took care of it. HAL got back to me quicker than i would have imaged.

feeling warm and fuzzy thanks to HAL.

-dave.

Betty: Please remember there are amazing Hearing Dogs for the HOH.......and, they are very welcomed on cruise ships.

A hearing dog can make a truly significant difference in your life!!

Please contact Canine Companions for Independence for more information: 1-800-572-BARK (2275).

• 2 months later...

Hi, all,

Decided to bring this back up again since I've taken my first cruise on HAL, on the Noordam, and I wanted to let everyone know how it went as far as setting up for the Hearing Impaired.

First, my TA must have mentioned that I was hearing impaired because i sent email to HAL and they said they had already received a request for setting up the room with the necessary equipment. I had forgotten all about it until I entered the room and saw the end table with a sensor and bed shaker. Excellent.

I gave it a test drive and it worked to perfection. Anytime the hall door closed or someone knocked, the sensor picked it up and shook the bed. It also reacted if I slammed a cabinet door (oops!) or if I clinked ice in the glass too close to it. The sensor wasn't too sensitive, it was just right. If DW was in the room with me it was easy enough to disconnect so that it didn't annoy either of us. When she left I actually felt comfortable enough to go to sleep knowing the sensor was there to let me know if anyone knocked or came it. Very nicely done.

They also set up an amplified phone, but as Sundagger and a few others mentioned, it didn't do a great job of amplifying. We had to go down to the Front Office and ask about our voice mail. Apparently the hearing assistive system had somehow disabled it. They took note and said someone would investigate, then they asked if i would like a TTY phone. I've never actually used one, but I thought I would give it a try. The next day it was installed and operational.

One down note; as others have mentioned, Closed Captioning was a hit or miss. Our cabin steward tried and even had a tech come in and try to activate it, but for other than one show it never worked. Have to wonder if they're picking up a full signal or what. That was a little less than satisfying but we didn't watch too many TV shows anyway so not that big a deal.

I didn't do any shows so I'm sorry to say I can't report as to whether or not there was a hearing assistive system in the Vista Lounge or not, but I can report that HAL did a wonderful job of setting up my cabin and letting me know that they were aware of my disability in case there was an emergency. Cudos to HAL! I'll be back in a couple of years, I could not have asked for better service. :)

On another note, Golfette; I've made an appointment for getting CI's. First consultation is the 25th of this month. I'll let you know how it goes.

-dave.

Dave - thanks for the report. It's good to know that it's becoming fairly routine to have the equipment in place when requested. I had requested a TTY a couple of times, but never got one. I wasn't sure what it could call - is it for communicating with the front desk? It would be great if Room Service had a terminal. I have one at home, but a lot of companies have discontinued their TTY lines (or don't answer them), so I end up going through the Relay system which isn't completely satisfactory.

I was at the Hearing Loss Assn convention in Reno in June - there were a LOT of people with CIs there. And dogs. The people who have had CIs for a length of time seem to understand as well as those of us with conventional state-of-the-art HAs. The hot topics there were the greatly expanded uses for BlueTooth technology and for the Web Captioned "phone" systems.

Great report, Dave! Like Sundagger I have wondered what the purpose of a TTY is on a ship. Seems like unless it's the Deaf Freedom Cruise the only people to talk to would be the front desk, and do they have a TTY and know how to operate it?

Sundagger, are you aware of the Internet relay system? It's much faster than TTY relay, which has a speed cap. You can try IP-Relay.com, SprintOnlineRelay.com, RelayCall.com, or several other companies. You can usually log your conversations this way too!

Welcome Etoile!

I sympathize with you over the cost of hearing aids, especially for a student. HLAA has worked for years to try to get insurance for hearing aids with very limited success. It's as though the government and insurance companies view hearing aids as some kind of expensive gadget and not as the lifeline to the world that it is for HOH people. /quote]

Hearing aids certainly are, as you say, "the lifeline to the world".

A bit off topic here, but I feel compelled to write this.

I've worn hearing aids for 40 years. Had about six or seven, and three years ago I got one that is so much better than any of the others. And what's more it cost me less than half as much as a "name brand" from a hearing-aid dealer. I got it from a company that manufactures aids and sells directly to the consumer.

I know I can't name the company here, but I do want to tell anyone who needs an aid and has a problem with the very high cost, to investigate the companies that sell mail-order. Fortunately for me, there is one about an hour's drive from where I live, so I didn't have do it completely be mail, but I can see that it would work just fine. You have to get an audiogram from your local audiologist and send it to them. They send you a kit to take an ear impression, or you can have the audiologist do it. You send it all to them and you have your new aid in less than a week.

And here's the best part! The company I bought from has a 60-day "no questions asked" 100% refund policy if you are not happy for any reason. So there's no risk at all. (All the audiologists I've consulted charge $100 -$200 "fitting fee" if you return their aids, and you usual only have 30 days). This company has an excellent reputation and if you google their name, you will see that people are happy with their product. I know I am, very very pleased.

BTW, my aid, has a neat feature that I love. It has four different programs that you can change by simply passing a small stick magnet (I wear mine on a chain around my neck). My aid has four programs....one for normal situations, one that amplifies sound a little less (that I use around the house), one that amplifies quite a bit more (good for quiet situations like conversations at the dining-room table), and the fourth one has very little amplification that I find very useful in noisy places, like shopping centers. Loud noises, especially fed directly into the ear from hearing aids, or Walkmans, etc. can damage hearing, so this is important to me.

Another plus is that these aids can be adjusted on your personal computer, if you feel comfortable doing that. Otherwise they are programmed remotely from your computer by the company. For example, you say that certain sounds are too loud, and they will adjust the aid to compensate, without a trip to the audiologist's office.

And they will work with you until you are completely satisfied.

Again, I apologize for this off-topic post, but I sympathize so much with hearing-impaired people who for some reason or another, often financial, put off getting a hearing-aid. I want them to know that aids these days are wonderful things, and don't have to cost $3000 each.

Nov

Sundagger, are you aware of the Internet relay system? It's much faster than TTY relay, which has a speed cap. You can try IP-Relay.com, SprintOnlineRelay.com, RelayCall.com, or several other companies. You can usually log your conversations this way too!

I have several "devices" that I use depending on which suits my need at that time. The TTY is a little awkward, but it is a printing model, so in some situations (if the party I'm calling has a TTY line) that is best. I have a CapTel telephone, which is great, except that the display is too small. That's what I use most of the time. I've used the SprintRelay system for outgoing calls. The newest systems from Sprint and Sorenson are the WebCapTel that use a phone and computer simultaneously. I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet, but have seen demonstrations. Has a lot of promise.

I haven't seen any posts from Golfette recently - have you seen any?

Hi, All. Yes, the TTY was for the Front Desk. I don't think the room service folks have one, but I could be mistaken on that.

I've heard about the IPRelay systems. Investigated them a few months ago and Sprint seemed to be the most attractive for my needs (via PDA). Unfortunately, I am using Verizon and they don't do near as good a job of supporting us folks. I've decided to wait until after the CI's to see what options are like at that time.

Sundagger - please give a review when you get a chance to use the Web CapTel. I may want to get one for my home if there's a noticeable upside to the 2-line version.

My sister is now on a mission for getting me a hearing dog. She set up the initial interview and everything. (Wiz, are you listening?). I'm just not ready yet to have to attend to the daily maintenance for the dog. Maybe down the road, but not yet. I was surprised to find that I'm more the type person that they want to have one since I would be able to help the dog stay in shape and healthy. It was an interesting interview and I learned a lot.

I just did a search for Golfette and her last post was in June. I hope she's on a 2 month cruise or something :D and that all is okay.

-dave.

Hi everyone~~Wow, what a great discussion !

My son and DIL are both deaf--born deaf. They don't speak or read lips. Everything is sign language--ASL.

They use a TA that specializes in cruises for the hard of hearing and deaf.

Sometimes it is just a group of deaf on the cruise, but DS has been on cruises where the whole ship is chartered as an all deaf cruise.

CCL is the line used for just a small deaf group and RCCL for the whole ship charter.

Whatever the mode, the TA has all the equipment put in the staterooms, and has interpreters scheduled for ship and the tours.

Last year, on the all deaf Freedom OS, she hired 120 interpreters !

It's a wonderful travel agency. Next year there is a deaf group on CCL's Destiny. And in 2010, there is a deaf charter on Mariner of the Seas, out of LA.

Pat

Hi, All. Yes, the TTY was for the Front Desk. I don't think the room service folks have one, but I could be mistaken on that.

I've heard about the IPRelay systems. Investigated them a few months ago and Sprint seemed to be the most attractive for my needs (via PDA). Unfortunately, I am using Verizon and they don't do near as good a job of supporting us folks. I've decided to wait until after the CI's to see what options are like at that time.

Sundagger - please give a review when you get a chance to use the Web CapTel. I may want to get one for my home if there's a noticeable upside to the 2-line version.

My sister is now on a mission for getting me a hearing dog. She set up the initial interview and everything. (Wiz, are you listening?). I'm just not ready yet to have to attend to the daily maintenance for the dog. Maybe down the road, but not yet. I was surprised to find that I'm more the type person that they want to have one since I would be able to help the dog stay in shape and healthy. It was an interesting interview and I learned a lot.I just did a search for Golfette and her last post was in June. I hope she's on a 2 month cruise or something :D and that all is okay.-dave.

Dave~~My deaf son and DIL use Sorenson's VP. It's a pretty good system. I am hearing, and I use it all the time to call them.

Also, at one time they were training hearing dogs in Colorado. They used to be free, but I don't know about now.

My kids don't want one because they don't want the responsibility. :rolleyes: :D

Pat

Hi, Pat,

Thanks for that.

I really know what your kids are going through with regards to responsibility. I was thinking about how many times I would have to take my partner for a walk when i was on board. Where do i go to...no - where does my partner go to, umm..."go"?? :eek: i can't imagine it would be very easy. Of course that situation only occurs once every few years for me, but it's still an issue which I'm not ready to deal with. Heck, I don't like the idea of taking a dog out in the winter either. I think if my wife were away more I would make the commitment, but it's not yet the case for me.

When Sundagger first started this thread a few people were talking about possibly going on a cruise together for HOH / Handicapable people. I'm still willing to do it if others would. I think it would be a good time. I must say that HAL did spoil me with their friendliness and service.

-dave

CCI - Canine Companions for Independence offers Hearing Dogs....they are $100....(the cost of raising/training/housing is about $35,000 to $40,000). I think it's a great deal!

Service dogs are a lot of work and responsibilty....but, what they give back is well worth it! And they're a wonderful reminder to; "get out", "walk", "exercise" and "socialize!"

For children, they're especially wonderful....they assist the child in making friends and can literally open-up their world!!!!

Brenda will be on her 10th cruise in November....I can't even imagine how we cruised without her and we did!!!

The cruiselines are making it so much easier for the Service Dog....it's a pleasure to go with her......I can't say that about the first couple of cruises that we did.....I consider us the pioneers in this...and, hopefully, we've made it easier for all of those who followed!!!!

It sounds like you've got a good plan for your family....but, just know, that if you ever consider a "Hearing Dog", they can make a significant difference in how you or someone that you love goes through life! :)

-dave.

Dave - the best part is that you only need your usual phone and a computer (adjacent to each other). That's all. It eliminates the need for a $400 CapTel telephone.

LOL - I haven't had to make any calls in the past few days, so I haven't tried it. I did see a demonstration by both Sprint and Sorenson at the HLAA convention. One of those things "it's so simple - why didn't someone do this before?"

Here's the link to the Sprint FAQ:

https://www.sprintcaptel.com/faq.asp?ret=wct&ani=&sid=&tab=5

They use a TA that specializes in cruises for the hard of hearing and deaf.

Sometimes it is just a group of deaf on the cruise, but DS has been on cruises where the whole ship is chartered as an all deaf cruise.

CCL is the line used for just a small deaf group and RCCL for the whole ship charter.

Whatever the mode, the TA has all the equipment put in the staterooms, and has interpreters scheduled for ship and the tours.

Last year, on the all deaf Freedom OS, she hired 120 interpreters !

It's a wonderful travel agency. Next year there is a deaf group on CCL's Destiny. And in 2010, there is a deaf charter on Mariner of the Seas, out of LA.

Pat

Hi Pat, welcome to the HAL HOH discussion thread. I had looked at the deaf cruises in the past, but they had either been to places I wasn't interested in or too long or on a ship I wasn't interested in. I just looked at the site again and there is a variety of cruises planned.

Like many in this thread, I have a severe hearing loss, but don't use sign language at all. Don't know anyone who does use it. That is a major communication problem between the HOH and the deaf.

It would still be interesting to get a group together on HAL (I'm really hooked on HAL). It wouldn't need to be a formal group, just some people who could hang around together and try to make sense of the PA announcements.:D

Hi Pat, welcome to the HAL HOH discussion thread. I had looked at the deaf cruises in the past, but they had either been to places I wasn't interested in or too long or on a ship I wasn't interested in. I just looked at the site again and there is a variety of cruises planned.

Like many in this thread, I have a severe hearing loss, but don't use sign language at all. Don't know anyone who does use it. That is a major communication problem between the HOH and the deaf.

It would still be interesting to get a group together on HAL (I'm really hooked on HAL). It wouldn't need to be a formal group, just some people who could hang around together and try to make sense of the PA announcements.:D

I agree with Sundagger...the Deaf Freedom cruises would not be suitable for non-signers, it is really a Deaf Culture cruise and many people are not part of that even though they have a hearing loss. I am lucky to be able to live in both worlds, I am comfortable on any cruise, but Deaf Freedom is really for the Deaf Culture world not the audiologically deaf/HOH who are not part of Deaf Culture. (I'm a Gallaudet student, FWIW.)

• 4 months later...

Wow! I stumbled across this linked thread and I feel like Rickie Ricardo: "Lewcee, I'm home!" Thanks Sundagger for starting this. And thanks to Cinidee, golfette, the 2 of us and others for sharing your stories.

I'm one of those later in life hard of hearing folks. Mine's hereditary nerve deafness on my father's side. If I'm in a room with larger than 12x15 and occupied by more than 3 people, I can't understand a word. I sit in front of a 42" flat screen with 2 Bose speakers and I can't hear the TV. I joke that I can stand next to a 747 revving its engines and ask someone what's that humming sound, lol.

LSS--heading out on my first cruise with DW (a seasoned cruiser) in May on the Carnival Legend. So I'm lurking these boards for tips and advice. Thanks everyone.

cru

Wow! I stumbled across this linked thread and I feel like Rickie Ricardo: "Lewcee, I'm home!" Thanks Sundagger for starting this. And thanks to Cinidee, golfette, the 2 of us and others for sharing your stories.

I'm one of those later in life hard of hearing folks. Mine's hereditary nerve deafness on my father's side. If I'm in a room with larger than 12x15 and occupied by more than 3 people, I can't understand a word. I sit in front of a 42" flat screen with 2 Bose speakers and I can't hear the TV. I joke that I can stand next to a 747 revving its engines and ask someone what's that humming sound, lol.

LSS--heading out on my first cruise with DW (a seasoned cruiser) in May on the Carnival Legend. So I'm lurking these boards for tips and advice. Thanks everyone.

cru

Glad you found the thread - and incidentally brought it up to the front page so that others may see it for the first time. HAL really does have a very helpful Access and Compliance Department for cruisers with handicaps of any sort.

Carnival also will provide ADA kits with buzzers, flashers, amplified phones, etc. Don't hesitate to ask for it.

• 1 month later...

CREWSWEEPER - have to (again) agree with Sundagger. you have to ask for it, though. HAL was really superb to me and, other than the muster drill, made every attempt to make sure i was given every opportunity to hear in my stateroom. i should have asked for something for the shows to test those areas out, but otherwise it was not bad at all.

good luck during dinner, though. i've been on a couple of cruises now (including Carnival) and they can be the ultimate challenge unless you have the the proper seating and the other tables around you are not too loud. my advise is to let everyone else know of your challenge and let them know how best to communicate with you. if you're at a regular seating they'll catch on by the time the second dinner is over with. hope you enjoy. let us know how your experience was.

BTW - i am now a Cochlear Implant recipient. i had the operation done in January and was just activated 2 weeks ago today. my hearing is so much better it drove DW to tears - literally. we can talk again in the car. haven't done that in about 10 years. ...still haven't figured out if that's good or bad?? :rolleyes:

Golfette - if you're still on the fence i can let you know exactly how good/bad it is as well. it's pretty awesome how much better i can hear now. i look forward to taking a cruise now - dinner discussions don't intimidate me anymore. TLSEVIN and the others were right.

WIZ - i'm still thinking of the hearing dog. though the implant is a wonderful thing, i'm still somewhat deaf as a doornail when it's turned off. a hearing dog would be security when i go to sleep at night and DW is not around to do my emergency listening for me.

be well, all.

-dave.

Dave: I'm so happy for when it comes to the implant (I, too, am not sure if that's a "good" or "bad" thing!) Just kidding!

Please consider the hearing dog and contacting Canine Companions for Independence about it. 707.577.1700 or 707.577.1756 TTY. They have dogs that are being trained for the hearing challenged, as I write this.

Brenda will be on her 11th cruise in April and she goes to Alaska in September. She'll be 9 years old in June and is as "sharp" and ready to work as she was when she was 2.

Happy Hearing Days to you and yours.

Roz

Hi, ROZ,

11 cruises! i wonder if by now she gets as disapointed as the rest of us when we have to leave the ship?

believe me, i know a bit about CCI. my sister and her daughters train some of the dogs for them. they've had at least 6 or 7 go through the program by now and one of them is featured in the current calendar. check out the month of April and you'll see her (Tiffany III). i have my request form waiting for me to fill out. i will probably make a decision on that during the summer.

i'm interested to know how people react when they see you with her on board? i would hope that they are very respectful of her. you're blessed to have her, that's for sure. my best to you.

-dave.

Hi, ROZ,

11 cruises! i wonder if by now she gets as disapointed as the rest of us when we have to leave the ship?

believe me, i know a bit about CCI. my sister and her daughters train some of the dogs for them. they've had at least 6 or 7 go through the program by now and one of them is featured in the current calendar. check out the month of April and you'll see her (Tiffany III). i have my request form waiting for me to fill out. i will probably make a decision on that during the summer.

i'm interested to know how people react when they see you with her on board? i would hope that they are very respectful of her. you're blessed to have her, that's for sure. my best to you.

-dave.

Dave: Thank you for having such a wonderful family who gives the rest of us an opportunity to have one of these amazing dogs in our lives.

I will check out the calendar.

I hope you do consider bringing a dog into your life. It will only enrich it.

People either love, love Brenda on cruises and want to hang around her all the time or they hate, hate her and avoid us at all costs. One man stood-up in the Horizon Court and screamed, "I will not eat in this room with a dog!" You can imagine how far from him we had to sit. Although we really didn't have to, he seemed to really hate dogs. And, I was forever looking for him wherever we were on the ship.

In 10 cruises he was the only person who started such a fuss!!!!!!

We've had a few people who suggested that they were allergic and would I please stand or sit somewhere else....no problem, we always want to be aware of other people's sensitivities with furbearing animals.

Although getting from one place to another can take forever because of all the questions and people wanting to touch her, it's a great experience to be able to have her with me no matter where I go!

• 6 years later...

Hey, I know this is super old thread, but still has great info.

We just got off of the Crown Princess, and the theater has a listentech system. It is headphones, as well as a neck loop. My wife used the loop, activated her T coils, and could hear EVERY WORD. We spoke with the sound guy in the theater, and he was kind of quizzical at first, but then reached up on the top shelf, dusted off a case, and found it for us. We picked the neck loop up about 10 minutes before the show, and it worked great. Listentech is the same system we use at our church. It was truly amazing.

We also requested the door knocker, and amplified phone, as well as a flashing smoke detector. Mixed results there, as I was with her 99.5% of the time, and I have no hearing loss, unless dishes need to be done.

Hopefully that helps. I saw quite a few hearing aids, but as far as I know we were the only ones requesting the device. My advice would be request it, even if you don't have the success that we did, so the cruise line knows there is a need.

listentech.com

Thank you for reviving this old topic...I'm on my 4th set of Hearing Aides & use closed captioning on all our TV's at home.. Also have a hearing phone which the state gave to me.. At one of our local theaters I've used the hearing loops which seem to work well for me, but have never asked for them on our cruises.. Realize I'm missing a lot by not requesting them..

I haven't looked into a canine companion only because we have a little wirehaired doxi who I'm very attached to.. But I have to face the fact that she is 15 1/2 & probably will not be with us much longer...

When Our Fur Baby decides it's time to leave us, I told DH that I might look into getting a CCI Companion Dog... Have downloaded all of Roz's posts on this thread.. If Roz or anyone else who has a Hearing Companion Dog is still on CC I wonder if you would answer a couple of questions for me?

Thank you for reviving this old topic...I'm on my 4th set of Hearing Aides & use closed captioning on all our TV's at home.. Also have a hearing phone which the state gave to me.. At one of our local theaters I've used the hearing loops which seem to work well for me, but have never asked for them on our cruises.. Realize I'm missing a lot by not requesting them..

I haven't looked into a canine companion only because we have a little wirehaired doxi who I'm very attached to.. But I have to face the fact that she is 15 1/2 & probably will not be with us much longer...

When Our Fur Baby decides it's time to leave us, I told DH that I might look into getting a CCI Companion Dog... Have downloaded all of Roz's posts on this thread.. If Roz or anyone else who has a Hearing Companion Dog is still on CC I wonder if you would answer a couple of questions for me?

Betty, go to: Special Interest Cruising - Disabled Cruising- Then go to my blog - Cruising with a Service Dog-Everything You Ever Wanted To Know. This will answer a myriad of questions that you may have about a Service Dog.

Remember: The Hearing Dog is NOT A COMPANION DOG. Although, I do get my dogs from Canine Companions for Independence. There's a whole other connotation for a "Companion Dog"......it can simply be a "feel good" dog which has absolutely NO PUBLIC ACCESS.

A dog MUST perform a task for the handler in order to go onboard a cruise ship, in a restaurant, the mall or the grocery store. A dog [companion dog] that someone takes with them everywhere because they make them feel good does not have public access and does NOT belong in the market, the mall or onboard a cruise ship.

I'm happy to answer any of your questions right here if that's easier for you. Ask away!