Liquor Smugglers Beware~!! (Multi-ship experiences - merged)

So, I have a question, if I have young children, who need to go to bed earlier, can my husband buy us a bottle of wine for us to enjoy on our balcony while they sleep during spring break???

Just so I know what to expect. Thanks.

You can order a bottle of wine through room service.

Has RCCL updated their wine lists with some better wines??

Thanks for the update.

Mariner had a brand new wine list last week - many of the same old, same old, and a couple of my faves are gone. I did take pictures and will get around to posting them on webshots eventually. They must changing ship by ship as they exhaust the inventory.

Nothing less that what you should expect when you choose to break the RCI rules.

On HAL, it isn't just a couple of bottles allowed, you can bring a case if you wish.

Okay, dont make fun of me, maybe it is merely a blonde moment....but can you really bring wine/alcohol on board HAL? Because IMHO, if you can bring all the wine you want, I want to bring my martini-mixings! Wait, do I want to sail HAL? Hmmm...

They do not search your room for wine, nor would they likely take it, if they happened to find any. Hard liquor is a different story, as it's not supposed to be in your room at all.

BTW, what "finer wines than what RCCL serves" do you insist upon. They have some very good wines, if you're willing to pay for them. They're just about twice the price you'd pay from most wine merchants. It's not an enormous selection, so they won't have everyone's favorite wine, but those who suggest they have no "fine wines" are just spouting crap.

Whoa dude... they have some fine wines, but hardly a comprehensive list, and if anyone knows about spouting... well that would be you.:D A lot of people collect wines of very specific styles and not all styles are available. Plus anyone trying to take wine on board during spring break or during the other times kiddies are en masse on board are probably going to be at increased risk of being unhappy.

jc

jc

Just try taking your own bottle of wine into a restaurant that sells liquor and see how far you get. The only place we can bring your own wine is where they don't sell liquor and then they charge a cork-age fee.

Its not just RC all cruise lines are cracking down on this....anyone who was able to sneak through its because the agent didn't care or missed it.

Speaking of Makingold's crap. :rolleyes: I take wine to restaurants frequently that have a liquor license, and yes I do pay a corkage fee. Some locales do things differently. Some locales are dry. Try not painting with a broad brush and you might fine that you are wrong a bit less often.

jc

Nothing less that what you should expect when you choose to break the RCI rules.

On HAL, it isn't just a couple of bottles allowed, you can bring a case if you wish.

I have! They also allow the civilized pre-ordering of alcohol and bar setups. I think I paid about $40 for a $20 bottle of gin, that came with a couple of cans of tonic. The only problem I had was I couldn't find a lime on the HAL ship to save my life and lemon is not the same in a G&T.

jc

Quick message -

We just got off the Sovereign March 7 cruise and our luggage was kept till we claimed it in security as the scanners found a wine bottle. Security took the bottle (one in each of two suitcases) and did not allow us to retrieve it till debarkation morning. So much for enjoying some FINE wine on the balcony. The few others we saw in security were “seasoned adults”. I guess the spring breakers have figured out the system.

Further, any liquor purchased in the ship’s store or brought on from the island could not be picked up till debarkation morning.

Aside from this annoying start - we did have a good trip.

We also enjoyed some " just OK" wine on the balcony.

M

Good! I'm gald, DO NOT SMUGGLE BOOZE! Don't be so cheap!!

Just off Vision of the Seas on Sunday and they were cracking down on people bringing "adult beverages" back from the ports.

I heard 2nd hand that there was someone "protesting" down on the 5th deck that RCI had ruined his cruise because they took away his "stuff".

Like I said only 2nd hand info so maybe someone can confirm that one. :p

Quick message -

We just got off the Sovereign March 7 cruise and our luggage was kept till we claimed it in security as the scanners found a wine bottle. Security took the bottle (one in each of two suitcases) and did not allow us to retrieve it till debarkation morning. So much for enjoying some FINE wine on the balcony. The few others we saw in security were “seasoned adults”. I guess the spring breakers have figured out the system.

Further, any liquor purchased in the ship’s store or brought on from the island could not be picked up till debarkation morning.

Aside from this annoying start - we did have a good trip.

We also enjoyed some " just OK" wine on the balcony.

M

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats cuz it was spring break.........thats what they did last year when we cruised during spring break(NEVER AGAIN).........they also would not sell buckets of beer poolside and we were not allowed to leave a lounge with a drink(even though we are well past college age).that last rule really irked me............We had just bought drinks while watching the 70s night performance.....we decided to leave and the "bouncer" at the door would not let us leave with the drinks........:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We cruise Liberty 5/24 and I sooo hope this is wrong:eek:

Why are you all give out such misinformation. I just came back from a spring break cruise and I could carry my purchased drink anywhere I wanted to.

Nobody says anything if you take your drink from one place to another even to your cabin.

And I sooo hope this is true:)

They do not search your room for wine, nor would they likely take it, if they happened to find any. Hard liquor is a different story, as it's not supposed to be in your room at all.

BTW, what "finer wines than what RCCL serves" do you insist upon. They have some very good wines, if you're willing to pay for them. They're just about twice the price you'd pay from most wine merchants. It's not an enormous selection, so they won't have everyone's favorite wine, but those who suggest they have no "fine wines" are just spouting crap.

Have you tasted their wine? We got the wine list and went to the store to get the wine on the list to try before we bought the wine package. It is nasty. We will not be buying the wine package.

Have you tasted their wine? We got the wine list and went to the store to get the wine on the list to try before we bought the wine package. It is nasty. We will not be buying the wine package.

Oh, don't buy the wine packages, they're really horrible stuff. But their regular wine menu isn't that bad. It's not that great either, but there are a few acceptable bottles at reasonable prices.

Get this....family members on AOS couple weeks ago, the legal adults put their "special" beverage in lysterine bottles (ya..I know!) and the kids....UNDER 21 had full bottles of alcohol in their luggage and not only got thru but had it out in full view in their rooms!!!!

PLEASE...no flames....I KNOW....and it wouldn't in a million years be ok with me and my DH with ANY of our kids.

Friends just boarded ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS this afternoon and had their 2 bottles of wine and 1 Bottle Gin confiscated. The note in the luggage says they can claim it at the end of the Cruise. Oh well... Afternoon announcement from Captain as they departed stated the policy was being strictly enforced. My Friends say that there is a huge group of FSU and UF spring breakers.

Well, at least they get the bottles back.

P.S. They didn't confiscate the travel iron....

What's everyone's take on mini bottles, I don't drink that much, and could never finish a full bottle of anything??

interesting that some of you still plan to do minis or other for bringing on alcohol since it clearly states in their booklet that this will be taken from you at embarkation time.

I guess if you don't mind it being confiscated from you...and I know some of you will be successful in bringing it on.

and of course, cruise line officials may be reading these threads.

Princess allows you to bring on wine but not the 'hard stuff' so that is why I like that cruise line.

JMO

We cruise Liberty 5/24 and I sooo hope this is wrong:eek:

I was just saying what was our case last year on the Majesty during Spring Break..........I am NOT saying every ship does the same thing.......and like I said, it was because the week before,they had alot of trouble with the spring breakers.............drastic times call for drastic measures,I suppose.......

So it is NOT wrong.........I was there...........I am pretty sure I am a credible cruiser after 37 RCCL cruises..........

Restaurants and bringing your own wine.....I guess my Concierge background had kicked into high gear on my original post......the high end restaurants and resorts did not let people bring their own bottles as most of them had very extensive wine lists. I had many angry guests who tried, but failed each time. So I guess it depends on where you live or where you are dining to bring in your own.

Archived