Inside Large Pyramid / Solar Boat Museum

cruise4usnow

The private tour company has offered both of these as optional add ons to our tour.

Did you enjoy the Solar boat museum and how much time should we allow?

Did you go inside the large pyramid to the royal burial chamber and what did you think and how much time should we allow?

Thanks

30 minutes should be plenty for the Solar boat -- BTW, you are allowed to take pictures inside (without flash) but you do have to put on shoe covers to walk around. The building has three levels and is built over the pit where the boat was excavated. I found it fascinating.

On our previous trip we had the option of going into the pyramid (at Giza....can't remember which one was open that day) but our guide made it clear that it was a somewhat difficult walk (especially if you are tall) and that there wasn't much to see. I opted not to go and didn't exactly hear raving from those who did it. However, at Saqqara, I did go inside one of the pyramids that had more to see.

Several friends from my group went inside, and actually regretted it. They almost strained muscles from the combination of walking bent over (Low ceilings)and walking up and down the ramps. For several days they had stiff muscles, and also mentioned how difficult it was to breathe inside.

I had alwyas assumed I would jump at the chance to be inside the pyramids, but chose to pass up that option, and don't feel like I missed much.

I walked down the Pyramid in Sakarra. Had the Pyramid walk for three days(its the time it takes your muscles to heal...they had never been used exactly that way). You sort of walk like Walter Brennan for three days. You have to stoop to get down. It wasn't crowded in Sakarra except for one large Asian group. But I am glad I did it. The air was ok....

What do you actually get to see inside the pyramid?

I can tell you about the Great Pyramid at Giza (Khufu/Cheops), as it’s the only one of those we have been in. The entrance used is a relatively modern one created by early archaeologists, and this leads into the original Ascending Passage, which is steep, narrow and low – definitely not for the claustrophobic. This opens out into the Grand Gallery, which is still steep, but wider, much higher and very impressive. At the top, you have to stoop under two large stone blocks to enter the Burial Chamber, which is quite large. It is undecorated and there is nothing to see in there except the empty sarcophagus, but it is an atmospheric room.

However, some 200 or so years later, Unas, the last king of the 5th Dynasty started a trend in his pyramid at Saqqara of decorating the inside with the so-called Pyramid Texts. From then on, the tombs are covered with very good quality columns of hieroglyphic inscriptions, which are collections of spells, hymns and incantations designed to help the king on his afterlife journey. These evolved into the Coffin Texts, and eventually into the papyrus Books of the Dead.

Hope this helps; please ask if I can tell you more.

Archived