What a Shame! Casual Dress in Ocean Liners.

jasm8449

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

No one is doing anything that they're not supposed to when they show up "Casual" to the specialty dining rooms on "Casual" night. The OP was complaining that people were there on Casual night in casual clothes.

The issue is that this is an upscale restaurant. I would find it insulting that someone should choose to dress casually for this venue, and yes, that is the cruise line's fault for endorsing it. In 2005 my DH accompanied me (along with a party of 6 total) to the specialty restaraunt on Millie wearing some great dress slack and a nice silk shirt(much to my chagrin)...we had res. in the wine cellar and they insisted he wear a jacket (which they then provided and suggested that it was OK to remove it after being seated). A year later on Century I ran into someone who was having fun thinking about the new requirements and that he would indeed dine in Murano in a short sleeved shirt......and yes he did....good for him (glad I wasn't at his table and, yes I found it distracting). Celebrity has decided to relax it's dress code. Those who follow...good for you. I, personally, would never even think of dining in this venue in less than informal wear regardless of the "code du jour"....it does not do justice to the experience. Some of us, I guess, just like to show respect for that which deserves it.

I think in todays world with ailines adding large fees for second and third pieces of luggage, the cruise lines have to change their dress codes. I think both formal nights and informal nights add to the amount of clothing one must pack. Add the casual nights and you have to pack 3 different wardrobes.

I think its time to cut out the informal nights. Maybe NCL has the right formula

Before the airlines started enforcing the 50# weight limit I had no problem packing the tux for formal night.Now with two airlines charging $25 for another bag and the possibility of overweight baggage charges - I will pack a jacket or blazer and a decent pair of slacks for formal nights. If this puts someones knickers in a twist - TOO BAD. Beats the hell out of seeing someone enter the dining room in shorts for dinner

The issue is that this is an upscale restaurant. I would find it insulting that someone should choose to dress casually for this venue, and yes, that is the cruise line's fault for endorsing it. In 2005 my DH accompanied me (along with a party of 6 total) to the specialty restaraunt on Millie wearing some great dress slack and a nice silk shirt(much to my chagrin)...t.

Guys, you can find it as insulting as you like, Celebrity doesn't care. They have changed the dress code that's it's acceptable to dress casual in the specialty restaurants on casual night. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm saying that's Celebrity's dress code. Either deal with it or move to another line. No one is breaking any rule by wearing a Hawaiian shirt on casual night.

Cruise Junky....I'm not complaining that people are wearing casual clothes on casual nights. I was expressing my disappointment that the dress code for Ocean Liners has changed from formal on formal nights, and informal on all other nights, to allowing casual attire on casual nights. I assume it is permissable for me to express those views on this forum. In both your (sarcastic) responses, you seem to have interpreted my original post into a version of your own making.

You need to go back and read your original post. It's taking aim at the people that wear Hawaiian shirts and polo shirts in the specialty restaurants on casual nights. They are following Celebrity's Dress Code!! Sorry it doesn't fit with your interpretation of how people should dress. But instead of complaining why don't you just book for Formal or Informal nights and let others dress how they like for casual, then you won't have to see it? An average 7 day cruise, there's only 3 casual nights, that gives you 4 nights where you could dine there.

The rule of allowing casual applied on our cruise and we never ever saw anyone dressed casually in Ocean liners. We chose casual nights deliberately as we "dont do casual" EVER! so we like to dine in OL on casual nights and dress up.

In saying that, I really dont think one will ever find that many book OL and dont dress to a nice standard. Those that do:eek: (ah..let them get on with it!) He/She/They, will no doubt stand out like a sore thumb and be in the minority.

No matter what the "rules" say, its just bad manners and poor etiquette to dine in a fine dining establishment be it on a ship or on land, dressed in "casual" dress. Personally, I would rather be a "snob" than a "slob", but if anyone wants to slob..go ahead.. it wouldnt stop my enjoyment of an evening. I wonder who would received the better service:rolleyes:

I do however think these forums show a tiny percentage of what actually happens on ship, and if people have paid extra for fine dining, then they more often than not, will want to enjoy the full ambience of their evening. I cant see there being much change.:)

I don't mind dressing up for formal night (love it in fact) and don't mind casual but I do wish they would dispose of informal. It just adds to the packing. Some will say that a suite jacket can be worn as a blazar which to my ears is like saying a black suit jacket and tie make a tuxedo. It's just not right.

Actually, I don't even mind informals (I bought a great Ralph Lauren blue blazar with natical details) except when they tell me in my cruise documents we will have them and then they don't bother to do it.

I will be on the Constellation for 22 nights in April. I intend to go to Ocean Liners twice. I will be wearing casual clothing both nights since I plan to go on a casual night.

And you'll be perfectly in sync with the dress code which should please everyone. :)

I will on the Millinium May 30 to Alaska> I will be wearing a black business suit, a sportcoat/tie and casualwear for the various dining venues. If this will upset your cruise then be it. I will have a good time. Hopefully the complainers will not sit with me. I would not want to give them indigestion because of my dress.

On our Summit b2b last month, DH booked us for the first nights at the specialty restaurant (which were designated casual nights). We dressed informally anyway, as did the majority of others we saw those nights in the Normandie .:)

I could not agree more. For those of you that think casual attire is acceptible in specialty restaurants like Ocean Liner's, then dine in the dining room, your cabin or ther buffet.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying. Although Celebrity's dress code policy in the specialty restaurant is the same as throughout the rest of the ship, but you want those who follow the policy on a casual dress night not to attend the specialty restaurant because you don't agree with it?

Surely you jest!:confused:

Let me see if I understand what you're saying. Although Celebrity's dress code policy in the specialty restaurant is the same as throughout the rest of the ship, but you want those who follow the policy on a casual dress night not to attend the specialty restaurant because you don't agree with it?

Surely you jest!:confused:

Seems like its damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In regards to the dress requirement for the Ocean Liners Specialty Restaurant onboard Connie,

They changed the dress requirement shortly before our sailing last March to match the ships evening dress requirement with one exception. Men are required to have Jackets all nights and “Jacket Required” is clearly printed on the Reservation Confirmation you receive.

IMO, this would tend to make the minimum dress requirement for men really more informal than causal even on causal dress evenings. The same is true of the Olympic Restaurant on Millie when we sailed in January.

Down with dress codes. I don't care if people wear there PJ'S to the dining room. It won't spoil my cruise.

If you feel that strongly why do you bother to cruise with a line that you know has a dress code and spoil other peoples vacations? Or do you not obey traffic signs because they spoil your drive? Or do you not pay taxes because you don't like them?

We asked the Ocean Liners staff about this. Apparently they are still using the supply of reservation cards that reflect the prior dress code of jackets required for men. The new policy is, indeed, whatever the dress code is for the ship that night. If it's casual dress that night, then that is what is accepted in the specialty restaurants, regardless of what it says on the reservation card.

I don't understand why someone would go to a restaurant like Ocean Liners or Olympic and not "Dress" just as you would at an upscale land based restaurant. The cruise lines are going to have to keep SOME dress guidlines because if they go so called "CASUAL" this will be a disaster, some folks push the envelope as it is as far as dressing is concerned. If you down grade the dress across the board there WILL be ripped jeans and tees. You see some people almost there as it is. I have my flame retardent outfit on so I'll say how I feel. I book a cruise according to the info in the brochure and other research.....sometimes what other people are wearing (or not wearing)DOES affect my enjoyment of the environment,if that's shallow,so be it,but like I said I booked the cruise according to brochures,expectations,promotional materials etc.

Down with dress codes. I don't care if people wear there PJ'S to the dining room. It won't spoil my cruise.

Please book your cruise on a line that has the dress codes written the way you like it,no problem,you have a choice.

To me, it's simple; one should dress according to the suggested dress code of the evening, & if Celebrity feels that the dress code in the specialty restaurant should be the same as the rest of the ship, then that's how one should dress.

To me, it's simple; one should dress according to the suggested dress code of the evening, & if Celebrity feels that the dress code in the specialty restaurant should be the same as the rest of the ship, then that's how one should dress.

We have a B.I.N.G.O.!

The cruise lines are going to have to keep SOME dress guidlines because if they go so called "CASUAL" this will be a disaster, some folks push the envelope as it is as far as dressing is concerned. If you down grade the dress across the board there WILL be ripped jeans and tees.

Yeah, I can see how it's just killing Oceania!! Business Casual 24/7. I would wager, service, food, ambience far exceeds Celebrity.

Rich,

I agree completely. I think it is extremely rude and offensive to call people slobs because they dress casually on a Celebrity designated casual night.

Personally, I don't care if people overdress on casual nights but, according to one of the strictest dress code purists who ever posted here (Rev 22:17), overdressing is as bad socially as underdressing. Responding to a message saying it was alright to overdress, he said:

"The norms of social etiquette dictate that the guests at a social function are to wear the attire prescribed by the host(ess). On a cruise ship, the host(ess) is the master of the vessel. Failure to do so is exceedingly gauche, rude, ill-mannered, and inconsiderate.

And you may think otherwise, but that principle applies every bit as much to overdressing as to underdressing. IOW, it's every bit as crass to show up for dinner in a business suit on a "casual" evening as it is to show up in "casual" attire on a "formal' evening."

Interesting observation. :D

Dave

Archived