Barbados hotel?

Xoe

I have never been to Barbados, and am interested in hearing from those of you who have had hotel stays in Barbados. My own taste favors locally-owned small hotels rather than large chains. Convenience to the airport and the cruise ship dock used by Windstar is a big plus. Any recommendations?

We have stayed at the Accra Beach, centrally located between the airport and the port. Nice beach, good restaurants in the area, and an easy local bus ride into town. We liked it and plan to stay there again in April before the Barbados to Lisbon repositioning.

Marty

The Coral Mist Beach Hotel is a good 3-star hotel. Reasonably priced, secure and directly on the beach. About halfway between the airport and the cruise pier on the south shore. It shares facilities with the Blue Orchids Beach Hotel which appeared to be of similar quality. Several restaurants within walking distance.

On our recent New YEars cruise I met a couple who had stayed at "Peach and Quiet" and loved it. Little Arches is more expensive but lovely(our guide took us there on our day tour of the Island). Accra Beach where we stayed was fine for a day or two pre cruise but is definitely not small, charming or super affordable.

I appreciate the suggestions so much.

Peach and Quiet sounds good -- but seems to be very popular as in response to my inquiry, I learned they are fully booked for mid-Jan. through mid-March 2009!

With the good help of this message board, I'm sure we'll find "the perfect spot".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are considering staying at the Crane Resort(in the historic hotel portion) or at the New Edgewater in Bathseba. Both are on the undeveloped windward side of the island. Does anyone have any input about these places? Thank you, BBQ Lover.

. . . for input on Barbados hotels. Since this will be a pre- and/or post-cruise hotel stay, my interests are narrower than if we were seeking a destination resort for an entire vacation. I hope for a reasonable price, and convenience to both the airport and the dock used by Windstar on Barbados. It would be lovely if there were a hotel/resort that offered shuttle service to/from the airport but that's probably too much to hope for, so I'm interested in taxi fare and time between the hotel and the airport and dock.

As to the hotel/resort itself, as long as it's clean and provides a comfortable quiet night's sleep, that's okay with me. Being on the beach would be a big plus, and might lead to our booking an extra night there.

The Crane is a GORGEOUS resort...and I do mean resort. It is very expensive and basically away from everything. So, if you are interested in sightseeing Barbados, then it will be a taxi ride (and, as I recall, taxi's are not particularly cheap). We have stayed at Southern Palms pre/post cruise before. The Hyatt (I think?) is lovely and on a point. It was pretty close to the pier.

Have fun....wish I were sailing with you.

Did two full days of pre-cruise vacation at the Southern Palms Beach Club in St. Lawrence Gap. This place cannot be beat. Wonderful facility with adequate rooms, incredible beach, blue water, great staff, excellent food at fair prices, and all the restaurants of St. Lawrence Gap at your disposal. We had a wonderful stay, and plan on returning to Southern Palms in a few months.

Questions?

The Hyatt (I think?) is lovely and on a point. It was pretty close to the pier.

I believe you're referring to the Hilton located at Needham's Point just outside of Bridgetown. It is a large, first class hotel with all facilities about 10 minutes drive to the pier. (Although I prefer the smaller properties on the island, I have also stayed at the Hilton and would recommend it.) You can oftentimes get a good rate for the Hilton on hotwire if you are good at determining an unnamed hotel based on its listed amenities!

The island is not that large so taxi fares are moderately reasonable ... http://barbados.org/tours/barbadostaxis.htm

Archived