Visiting Ports Questions

jimmybog

I have never been on a cruise before and am currently trying to note down some information that I know I am going to need. However I am stuck finding info out on what happens when the cruise ship visits a port. My questions below. Our cruise is the Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Valor. Sorry if this post is meant to be in the Carnival Forum. I thought my questions were not really specific to Carnival. Please MOVE my post if required!

a) When a ship arrives in port, what happens with regards to disembarking the ship? Does everyone get off at the same time or do you get an allocated time slot?

b) Our first port of call is Nassau in the Bahamas. The ship arrives at 7am and departs at 2pm. What do I do for breakfast? Can I have breakfast at my normal time (8am to 9am) and then disembark the ship when I’m ready or will I be kicked off (not literally) the ship as soon as it arrives at 7am or soon after?

c) If the ship departs at 2pm what is the earliest and latest times we can board the ship? I don’t need an exact answer; I just wanted to know roughly so that we can decide whether to have lunch in Nassau or when we get back on board the ship?

d) When we visit a port what do we need to get back on board? Do we need our passports, ship pass etc?

e) If you have any other tips/advice about visiting ports and dismembarking/boarding ships please let me know. I don't need info on specific ports or Islands as I can find that out myself.

Thanks for any answers you give.

Jimmy,

Ship Arrival in Port

A) Once the ship has been cleared by the Coast Guard, the first passengers to disembark at port will be those who have signed up for ship sponsored excursions.

Generally everyone who has booked a tour meets in the theater and awaits for their tour to be called. This process takes around an hour or so. Shortly, thereafter the rest of the ship is able to go ashore.

Breakfast on early Port Days

B.)Yes, you can still have breakfast at the normal time. Or if you want to allow yourself ample time ashore you can arrange to have breakfast sent to your cabin by filling out a delivery card the night before.

It's probably not a good idea to plan anything too time consuming in Nassau unless you book with the ship. If your ship excursion is late returning, the Valor will wait if not, you will be flying to your next port.

Returning to Ship

C.) I would try and get back to ship by 1 pm at the absolute latest, usually the gangway goes up at about half an hour or so before departure.

Going Ashore

D.) When going ashore you only need to bring your ship boarding pass. Some people will say to bring your passport if you think there is a chance you will be left behind. Just allow yourself plenty of time to return to the ship and you will be fine.

Tips

As previously mentioned on port days it's a good idea to have breakfast in your cabin to cut down on time in the busy Lido or dining room. This way you can have a quick, quiet meal and have plenty of time to get ashore and begin your adventures.

Happy Cruising!

Jonathan

You don't need to take your passport with you to ports in the Caribbean. When you return to the ship, you'll need your room key(ship ID) and other Id (driver's lic)

You don't HAVE to leave the ship at all, if you don't want to! You can come and go at will--as many times as you want! You generally have to be on the ship 1/2 hour before it sails from that port. You can come back to the ship to eat lunch, or eat in port! Your choice!

Unless you have some early excursion, take your time at breakfast, and leave the ship when you're ready!

Nassau is one of our LEAST favorite ports, so we usually stay on the ship and use the pool! All the crowds are gone and it's a great "ship day"!

On some ports, my DH and I have a leisurely breakfast and then head to "town" for a walk around. We will come back for a light lunch and depending on the island, either head back for a beach day or we might decide we'd rather stay at the pool on the ship, beacuse it's nice and quiet. Either way we got in our morning walk without doing the treadmills or walking in circles on the ship. :)

Do allow yourself plenty of time to get back on the ship. I've been in Nassau when we just showed our IDs and walked right through. At other times, the building was packed (there are usually multiple ships in port at the same time) and it took quite a long time to get through the security.

Of course, that always happens when our ship is docked at the furthest pier! It can be a pretty good little hike. Being on the Valor, you probably won't be in that first berth, because I think that's used for smaller ships.

Personally, I keep my passport on me at all times when I'm off the ship. When I'm on the ship, it stays locked in the cabin safe.

A lot of people on here will tell you that Nassau is an awful place full of pushy vendors. Well, that may be the case when you first exit the port building, but if you aren't interested, just say "No, thank you" and keep walking.

We did a walking tour last time (up to the Fort, down the Queen's staircase, then just a leisurely stroll back to the main shopping area). I've been four times and while it isn't my favorite port, if the ship stops there, I'll continue to explore the island and go on excursions. It will take me many, many cruises before I decide I've done and seen it all!

If you haven't already done so, visit the various Ports of Call boards. There is SO much information it can be a bit overwhelming to new cruisers. In fact, I still find it a bit overwhelming! I used to just book one of the shore excursions through the ship! But now, I have to read every post about everything there is to do in every port. Then I have my internal debate for weeks about which excursion to book!

Have a great time.

Thanks everyone for the very useful Information

That’s all my questions answered.

It looks as if only the Disney Cruiseliner will be in port at the same time so it shouldn’t be too busy in the Port building. But I’ll make sure I’m back on board by 1pm at the latest.

I have also been visiting the various ports of call boards for info. And yes it is overwhelming especially being our first cruise. But I’m sure I’ll sort it all out before we leave.

You really just need to pay attention to the announcements on board or read their daily paper. The laws are changing and there is much debate as to when you will need to be back on board after each port. You can ask anyone of the crew as you are disembarking about the time you need to be back on board.

As far as getting off at ports, you don't even have to go into the port. Some people actually enjoy staying on the quiet ship while most are in port. So no one will kick you off the ship. There will be fewer activities on board while in port, but there will be plenty of food.

Archived