Cost of a taxi in Istanbul?

Charliesmom

Can anyone tell me how much a taxi costs from the port where Oceania ships dock to the Old City of Istanbul where the Haga Sofia and the Topkapi Palace are? Our hotel wants 80 Euros. Is that a lot or very reasonable?

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

It's a lot. I can't remember what we paid, and it wasn't in Euros. Is this to get you to the hotel from the ship? If so, you can get a cab right there at the port, and it's bound to be cheaper than that. That being said, our cabbie couldn't find our hotel and had to stop and ask, but that was okay, we weren't in a big hurry, and we got there in the end.

80 E from the port to the Old City is not a lot, it's beyond belief. A taxi might cost you 15 E, 10 if you bargain hard, 20 if you are meek.

In any event, taxis are plentiful. You might well be asked if you want a metered rate or a flat rate. We said metered, knowing the distance and time (the dock is rather close) and the driver went in a totally different direction, sayiung the bridge was closed. We knew it was open..... He wasn't happy with our response.

My suggestion is to agree on a fixed number of Turkish Lira (know the exchange rate, of course) and keep my guidelines above in mind.

I believe we paid about 10 E +/- as I recall it was 15-20 lira.

Do not get a cab at the port - walk past them out to the main street (20-30 second walk), cross over the street and then flag one down and you're on your way. They should use the meter.

Taxi costs are variable. In October we got a couple of taxis from the port and it was 10 euros per taxi. They dropped us a bit behind the Blue Mosque. Our party of six then split up.

We tried to get a taxi back to the ship from behind the Blue Mosque and they wanted 20 euros. We refused and walked towards where we were dropped off and got one for 10 euros. I must say when I couldn't see a taxi in sight I started to question my judgement.

The other half of the party paid 30 euros to get back from the Grand Bazaar!

So I would say 10 -20 euros is a reasonable expectation and I would expect that as suggested u would get a better price outside the port. If going again, I would probably get the tram into the city from the port if I didn't have my luggage and forget about the taxi.

Can you not get your hotel to pick you up? Ours did.

The previous poster is quite correct: there is a train/subway (surface ) that is very close to the port. It's very easy to use, very inexpensive and will take you directly to many of the key spots including Topkapi.

As I recall, payment is by machine at the stop in Lira only. There are also change booths, but I beleive they take only Lira.

The trains are clean, frequent, reliable, air conditioned, modern and surely quite safe.

One word of caution: they are often full or close to it and navigating with considerable luggage would not be wise.

That's an outrageous amount. We were in Istanbul last October with the Oceania Nautica, and cabs were a fraction of that amount. Get a taxi from the dock, and save the money. What we found to be expensive was the food in the hotels. Breakfasts were very expensive. A minimal buffet came to over $30.00 for only cereal, rolls, and coffee. The dollar is worth less now, so it will be even more expensive.

We stayed at the Hotel Nena which included breakfast and a free pickup. They substituted the port for the airport. For a two nite stay we also got a free transfer to the airport so I am surprised your hotel is so out of line with their cost.

john2003: My husband and I are staying at the Hotel Nena for two nights in May prior to embarkation on the Nautica. On arrival, the hotel is going to collect us at the airport. I understand they have a roof-top restaurant, did you try it, if so, would you recommend it?

The restaurant ambiance isn't anything special although the view is good. We had a coupon for a discount at the restaurant which we decided to use. We really enjoyed the meal.

If I didn't have the discount coupon I would say look around and decide as there are lots of choices in the area.

• 2 years later...
Can anyone tell me how much a taxi costs from the port where Oceania ships dock to the Old City of Istanbul where the Haga Sofia and the Topkapi Palace are? Our hotel wants 80 Euros. Is that a lot or very reasonable?

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

Yes.... convert your money to Turkish lira.. should be about 1/2 that or less...

Be careful with taxis at the dock. Last summer we took a taxi from the dock where the Regent Marina operated to the Grand Hyatt and they said it would cost 50 Turkish Lira (TL) (approx 23E) When I got to the hotel they were amazed at the cost but said that there had been a number of people who had been scammed and indicated that the cost should not have been more than 15 TL. We got from the Grand Hyatt to the Topaki Place for 20 TL.

You can also take a tram directly from the docks to the old city for about $1.50. The tram is also much faster than the taxis if there is any traffic (and in Istanbul there usually is). The tram stops across the street from the port. You need to buy your ticket at a little kisok near the tram stop and need to pay in Turkish lira. Enjoy Istanbul.

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

Last Nov. we did the Regatta Istanbul to Capetown. Our small hotel was across from the Haija Sofia and I think it was only about $25 US but we had to pay in Turkish lyra so I'm not sure of the conversion. It's certainly not much.Jane

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

We booked a private car with our hotel in Sultanahmet and it cost $35 Turkish Lira. $80 Euro is a ripoff.

If taking a tour and NOT staying at a hotel get a cab at the dock. They are cheap. Leaving the dock area and crossing the road can be dangerous due to traffic volumes and crossing up to lines of traffic.

Make sure you do not go to Haga Sofia on a Monday as it is closed and I think Topkapi is closed on the Tuesday..

We did this in May last year.

Enjoy Istanbul a great city of the world:):):):)

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

Hey, Claudia F and everyone, Charliesmom asked this question almost three years ago!

It cost us the equivalent of $13 to go from our hotel a few blocks from the Hagia Sofia to the cruise ship port 2-1/2 years ago, probably after Roberta visited Istanbul! :)

Archived