Pulled omelet thread AND post history

BeachBumMama

As far as I know, maybe this one will get pulled to. If so, sorry moderator.:( I really mean no harm.:)

I just wondered what were others thoughts on this. Recently, there was the 'Majesty, smoke, omelet station' thread where the OP got pretty darn nasty with their comments. Okay, so I understand maybe why it got pulled. And maybe the OP was actually kicked off, and all of his/her? threads disappeared? I'm not sure. But awhile ago, I was involved with another thread that got a little out of control. A new poster asked about food portions, if they could ask for more, etc. It was the person's first cruise and very first post. For the most part, they got their answers in a nice way from all of the helpful people willing to give helpful information. Which is what the boards were designed for. EXCEPT one person who decided they were 'piggies' to ask for more and told them so.

Hence, a heated debate began. To the degree of the person calling others 'piggies' creating a new name and coming on to post in defense of the 'Piggie Poster'. Which was, of course, themselves. Well, it was obvious they were one and the same. Both to me and the moderators. Who by the way, deleted all of the 'controversial' postings. And kicked off the 'new' identity of the 'Piggie Poster'. Though they are still on the boards under their 'original' identity.:cool:

The OP never came back. Who can blame them? Had they come back they would have seen others coming to their defense. They wouldn't have felt embarressed and slighted by asking such a question. I do hope they at least came back to look, but I've never seen them post again.

My point to this kind of long story is this... Personally, I think the postings should remain. As my signature notates... You are not anonymous, your words reveal exactly who you are. Which, by the way, came as a result of the 'Piggie Poster'. That's all we have to go by on these boards, and by having such controversial threads remain somewhere, if a person asks a question and gets a response from a 'negative and mean spirited' poster, they would have the history of that poster to go back to and see what kind of person they really are. It would become part of their 'permanent record' so to speak.

I don't know, I was just curious what others thought...:)

Again, if I've done something wrong, sorry moderator :( , I actually do come in peace.:D

I also agree with you. Many posters have asked legitimate questions only to be belittled. I have have asked numerous question on these boards and have been answered with very helpful responses. I often wonder if they are just plain miserable, or if infact they just can't help themselves and they don't realize that they come off sounding mean spirited. I hope the new posters will return to keep asking and in turn they will provide us with information that can benefit us all....I just cringe when I hear some of the sarcastic remarks...Thanks for letting me vent. Remember we are never to old to learn....;)

Believe me, I know exactly which person you are talking about. I was the one that was wished an illness on. LOL That is when I ceased corresponding on the thread as there was obviously no way to reason with that person.

I do understand where you are coming from and agree that leaving the messages up would give everyone an opportunity to see who the trouble makers were. The problem is (from the moderators point I'm sure) is that posts like that usually won't die down on their own. That's why I chose to ignore the final, horrid post that he made. I was not going to continue responding on a thread that was going downhill in a hurry. And continue to add fuel to this guys fire. I do think that the moderator did what was appropriate.

An alternative would be to freeze the topic so that no further posts could be added to it, but I don't know if that option is available to the moderators. If that was a possiblity, that would solve the problem. It would stop the thread cold, yet leave it in tact for others to see who the problem posters were.

Although I have been a regular reader here and a fairly consistent poster here, my first experiences on this board were quite negative.

However, I have come to understand that moderating boards like cc is a darn demanding undertaking, and very time consuming. More than once I have been impressed with the moderating done here, even if it has been occasionally at the expense of a post or two of my own.

Like much of the world and like much of the internet there is both real good and real bad to be found on these pages. So far, I still find it is worth it to wade through some of the garbage which clutters these pages to find occassional gems of truth and information.

When I no longer believe that it is worthwhile, there are many other places to visit. Meanwhile, I do not envy the unpaid moderators here.

I do think that the moderator did what was appropriate.

An alternative would be to freeze the topic so that no further posts could be added to it, but I don't know if that option is available to the moderators. If that was a possiblity, that would solve the problem. It would stop the thread cold, yet leave it in tact for others to see who the problem posters were.

I also think they did what was appropriate, as you said, threads like that can burn like the lit end of a cigarette... okay, maybe I didn't need to add that, it just came out. Please don't turn this thread into a cigarette debate, there are plenty of those.:D But I was thinking like you, that if there was some way to close to the thread to new postings, but still keep it in the posters history. After all, it's the history of a poster that lets others know what kind of poster they are. Therefore, that is just as helpful in getting honest answers as anything else.

Archived