Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

What I find interesting is that any of us feel it necessary to argue about this. As I stated earlier RCCL is not giving the money back out of the kindness of their heart - there is a reason hidden in their somewhere. An d no I did not intend to indicate anyone on here suggested that - just a turn of a phrase. I suspect Carnival will end up doing the same at some point. That is based on an assumption that their is a legal reason RCCL returned the funds. They are not in the business of losing money or giving back hundreds of thousands of dollars because they like us.

I suspose there may be folks out there who would cancel or not book Carnival or any other cruise line because of the additional charges. To some folks $70 is $70. I tend to agree with the posters who have repeatedly said if they don't list it as a fuel chrg they can very easily add it to the cruise fare and go on with life. There is a limit to what people will pay for anything, whether that be a cruise or a new pair of shoes. If the price gets to that point - some folks just won't cruise just like some folks won't buy that pair of shoes.

I actually compared a couple of all inclusives and a trip to Disney World to the cost of a cruise and the cruise won hands down. Understand also that anyone of those options could be out of reach for some people - the point is a cruise vacation is still one of the best bargins out there - with or without the fuel charge. Heck there are shows in Vegas I won't go to, even though I would like to see them, simply because I refuse to pay the enormous price they want to get in. Fortunately foe us, cruise prices have not reached that level yet. :)

Not my fight, but applause here, too.

Ditto.

I was paid in full for nine months before they added the surcharge - but I couldn't print my documents or my contract until I sent the additional $70.

That's where I lucked out in my 'conversations' with CCL. I, also, paid in full when booking, and I printed the documents out online the same day. I was never taught the official choreography of the Doc Dance, so I opted for the online version as soon as those became available. I had everything for every cruise, including luggage tags, printed out through May '09. Locking the documents would have only further prevented me from noticing the the Zero Balance statement was now adjusted to something else.

I suspected you were easily amused... people who aren't very bright usually are... :rolleyes:

Since you don't have a cruise booked and thus have no interest in whether those of us entered into a contract with Carnival before the fuel surcharge was implemented, I don't see why you're being nasty to those it does affect :confused:

I didn't see any mention in this article about Carnival reimbursing, just three lines owned by RCCL. Did I miss something? I hope not -- I'd really like that $$$ back!

At this point I have not seen any confirmation that Carnival will be reimbursing fuel surcharges. Supposedly they are still in conference with the FL AG regarding this. I'm hoping that Carnival goes the way of RC. Whether or not they do is out of my hands, but it's nice to hope! I'm willing to be patient but since our cruise is already paid in full OBC would be great.

Since you don't have a cruise booked and thus have no interest in whether those of us entered into a contract with Carnival before the fuel surcharge was implemented, I don't see why you're being nasty to those it does affect :confused:

If you've followed his posts, he knows no other way to be but nasty. It's time to ignore him and visit with those of us who have something worthwhile and positive to say.

That's where I lucked out in my 'conversations' with CCL. I.

DPG1111 any chance of sharing how you didnt have to pay the fuel surcharges. I am sure some others got out of them, despite the Carnival reps saying to the contrary.

Id like to hear how you did it, or did they swear you to secrecry to get it taken off?

let's see....carnival apologist, ethics legal expert, and now intelligence analyst.....venturelessman (because he isnt going anywhere) is rare speciman.....knows all about everybody. I found why he posts on these boards even though he isnt booked......HE IS A CARNIVAL APOLOGIST!

I booked our May cruise on Nov. 1, 2007. I did not receive received a letter in my email from Carnival stating the fuel surcharge was being added on until Nov. 19, 2007. I am hearing that Carnival actually added the fuel charges on Nov. 7. Does anyone know the exact date Carnival announced the fuel surcharge?

I, as I am sure many others, have been angered by the implementation of a fuel surcharge. However, this is not a simple rant but a new twist to the story.

I am booked on a Carnival cruise and fell within the "I have placed my deposit but not yet made my final payment" gap. Well, they tacked on the surcharge after I placed my deposit and never notified me about it. No letter, no email, no phone call, nothing. I have been told by Carnival that numerous people never received notification of the surcharge either.

Yesterday, I read a story in which Royal Caribbean and Celebrity struck up a deal with the Florida Attorney General and are refunding those in the same situation as I however, Carnival has yet to make a decision.

I called the Attorney General's office and told them of my situation. The person I spoke with urged me to file a complaint with the fraud department regarding this act.

You can read the release on the AG's web site here regarding Royal Caribbean and Celebrity: http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256222...fuel,surcharge

At the bottom you will notice an 866 number to call if you want to file a complaint. First of all, I URGE everyone affected to call. Secondly, the 866 number only works for Florida residents, if you are outside Florida the number is 850-414-3990 (it is NOT toll free). They will take your complaint and file it.

They also directed me to file a complaint with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This you can do online by following this link:

http://app1.800helpfla.com/cswebcomp...Complaint.aspx

I did some digging and uncovered something way back in 1997. Six Cruise companies: "Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Norwegian Cruise Line Limited, Celebrity Cruises Inc., Dolphin Cruise Line and Majesty Cruise Line" entered into an agreement with the Florida Attorney General to change their advertising policy. And, from the release, "the cruise lines can no longer charge customers any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price except those fees actually passed on by the company to a governmental agency." The fuel surcharges are a direct violation of that agreement.

Here is the link to this release: http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256222..., 1997,cruise

Let me note, I have no problem with the prices of cruises going up. It happens with everything in life but no company should be allowed to do it once you have placed a deposit and entered into an agreement on price with them.

I have had such a blast cruising before and this really changes the way I look at these companies.

Please file the complaints and call your respective cruise lines and give them this information if you are affected by this unjust surcharge. If we band together we can change this.

They also directed me to file a complaint with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This you can do online by following this link:

http://app1.800helpfla.com/cswebcomp...Complaint.aspx

Please file the complaints and call your respective cruise lines and give them this information if you are affected by this unjust surcharge. If we band together we can change this.

Thanks for the link...I filed a complaint. I don't mind the fuel supplement....but resent the fact that it was added after I'd already paid the deposit on 3 cruises.

I thought this was already discussed. The 1st email I received was dated November 11th and the attached letter of the charge being added was dated November 9,2007. I booked my cruise in June of 07. The verbage of the fuel surcharge was just added to Carnival website. On my May 2007 documents, it did not say they could add fuel surcharge at any time, whether a deposit was made or cruise fully paid, as it does now.

According to the FL AG, they are still taking with Carnival. Per my PVP, it is "still in the courts".

oops...talking with Carnival. You can also file a complaint with the FL AG since they filed the lawsuit.

Consumers who believe they have been improperly charged surcharges may file complaints with the Attorney General’s Office by calling the fraud hotline at 1-866-966-7226 or by visiting the Attorney General’s website at http://myfloridalegal.com.

I find it amusing that ventureman, the unofficial Carnival apologist and ethics authority, isn't even booked on a cruise. So what the heck is he or she doing on these boards? No life?

There are way too many Carnival apologists/cheerleaders on these forums. This guy is one of many. But with respect to this thread, he is nothing but a troll.

I plan to follow that link and file my complaint with the AG. I wonder if that lawyer still has that class action going too.

I booked our May cruise on Nov. 1, 2007. I did not receive received a letter in my email from Carnival stating the fuel surcharge was being added on until Nov. 19, 2007. I am hearing that Carnival actually added the fuel charges on Nov. 7. Does anyone know the exact date Carnival announced the fuel surcharge?

The official announcement was November 7th. The contract was changed November 7th. But only cruises that were February 2008 and beyond were charged. So if you booked a cruise before November 7, 2007 and Carnival refunds/OBC's the fuel surcharge you should be elligible.

The official announcement was November 7th. The contract was changed November 7th. But only cruises that were February 2008 and beyond were charged. So if you booked a cruise before November 7, 2007 and Carnival refunds/OBC's the fuel surcharge you should be elligible.

Thanks for the info:)

I e-mail the Florida Attorney General office this is there responce

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum received your correspondence reg

arding your concerns with a cruise fuel surcharge imposed by Carnival

Cruise. Attorney General McCollum understands your concerns, and asked

that I respond.

Attorney General McCollum is concerned about all potentially unfair and

deceptive trade practices, including representations that may mislead

consumers. In response to hundreds of complaints from consumers around

the country, Attorney General McCollum moved quickly to investigate the

retroactive fuel supplement charges imposed by several cruise lines.

On March 11, 2008, the Attorney General announced settlement agreements

with two companies, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Lines. These two

companies will refund approximately $21 million to consumers nationwide

who were charged for this fuel surcharge after they booked their cruise.

These consumers will receive a full refund for the cost of the surcharge.

Consumers who have not yet sailed will receive their refund as an on-board

credit. You may review the Attorney General's news release regarding this

settlement online at:

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/4B0142561763C5A1852574090044205D

The Attorney General believes that this resolution with Royal Caribbean

and Celebrity will serve as a model for the rest of the cruise line

industry and is hopeful that the other companies will see this example and

follow suit. In the meantime, the Attorney General's Office is continuing

discussions with other cr

Thank you for contacting Attorney General McCollum's Office. Please be

assured that the Attorney General is committed to reaching a settlement

with the other cruise lines that charged consumers a retroactive fuel

surcharge.

If you would like to keep current with news on Attorney General McCollum's

efforts to fight fraud please visit our website and subscribe to the

Attorney General's weekly and monthly electronic newsletters:

http://myfloridalegal.com/NewsBrie.nsf/Subscriber

Sincerely,

Dorothea Syleos

Office of Citizen Services

I e-mail the Florida Attorney General office this is there responce

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum received your correspondence reg

arding your concerns with a cruise fuel surcharge imposed by Carnival

Cruise. Attorney General McCollum understands your concerns, and asked

that I respond.

Attorney General McCollum is concerned about all potentially unfair and

deceptive trade practices, including representations that may mislead

consumers. In response to hundreds of complaints from consumers around

the country, Attorney General McCollum moved quickly to investigate the

retroactive fuel supplement charges imposed by several cruise lines.

On March 11, 2008, the Attorney General announced settlement agreements

with two companies, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Lines. These two

companies will refund approximately $21 million to consumers nationwide

who were charged for this fuel surcharge after they booked their cruise.

These consumers will receive a full refund for the cost of the surcharge.

Consumers who have not yet sailed will receive their refund as an on-board

credit. You may review the Attorney General's news release regarding this

settlement online at:

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/4B0142561763C5A1852574090044205D

The Attorney General believes that this resolution with Royal Caribbean

and Celebrity will serve as a model for the rest of the cruise line

industry and is hopeful that the other companies will see this example and

follow suit. In the meantime, the Attorney General's Office is continuing

discussions with other cr

Thank you for contacting Attorney General McCollum's Office. Please be

assured that the Attorney General is committed to reaching a settlement

with the other cruise lines that charged consumers a retroactive fuel

surcharge.

If you would like to keep current with news on Attorney General McCollum's

efforts to fight fraud please visit our website and subscribe to the

Attorney General's weekly and monthly electronic newsletters: