Where to shop?

Instead of shopping online, why not go to some thrift stores in your area--you can get some good buys, especially since you won't wear it again--(Why not?) Or close-out sales at some dept. stores have excellent buys!

Some have found some great stuff on ebay. You can also try Newport News, Speigel, even the higher end of Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus can have some great sales. Also I think Macy's is still having a good sale. Chadwicks is another. Or do a google search for 'inexpensive formal wear' and you'll probably get tons of info.

Also, you might want to look into the options of nice pants or skirts and different tops that you are more likely to wear again.

Hope that helped.:)

Did want to say too, that prom season is coming up and after the prom all those things go on sale at your local stores. The prom dresses these days aren't just for the younger teen set, so that could be a good avenue for you if you are cruising after prom season.

Instead of shopping online, why not go to some thrift stores in your area--you can get some good buys, especially since you won't wear it again--(Why not?) Or close-out sales at some dept. stores have excellent buys!

This is a really fun idea. When I was a young theatre design major in college with no money but MUCH more free time, I used to get formals and bridesmaid dresses at thrift stores and garage sales and remake them. So I was basically wearing my own designer outfits and they cost practically nothing! Add to that, I sometimes got credit for it in costuming class!

Dang, I wonder where alllllllll that free time went?? :rolleyes:

Buying cheap at resale shops can be great. You can even afford to have the stuff altered if it doesn't fit quite right. And the vintage finds you get can be unique and wonderful. :)

If there's a Ross near you, try that. I've had great luck with dresses from there - same as department store but less price. I bought 4 cocktail dresses from there today for $75.

I agree! Sometimes by the time I get there, my size is gone, though. If you can find out when the new stuff gets in, you can find a lot! I just got 1 chiffon cocktail dress, 1 cotton sundress, 2 cotton skirts, and 1 designer trapeze jacket for under 70 bucks total!

Last week I was at Nordsrom Rack and found a red-carpet worthy gown for $39.95. The only alteration I need is to have it shortened and it is now at the tailor shop being hemmed. It was a lucky break to be in the right place at the right time.

If one of my little nieces or nephews comes by, I will have them attach a picture -- I'm computer literate but not that adept at attachments.

*Casimir Pulaski was a Polish general who assisted the colonists during the Revolutionary War. I am a substitute teacher and have been working just about every day, but the Chicago Public Schools aren't in session on Puaski Day -- it was on Monday, 3-10

they put older ones on sale..also..if doing a mail order..go to one anyway to get measured properly.first..so you will get a handle on the size. We got one at Value village in Anchorage 3pc for $35..it fits us both..and love the slider waistband!

I am looking for reasonably priced formalware online. Any suggestions where to look? I am sure other than the possibility of another cruise, I won't be wearing whatever I buy again, so don't want to spend a fortune. Thank you for your advice ahead of time.

Try Target (www.target.com). Reasonably priced formal wear for men and women.

Archived