driving from Boston to NY

gabsmom215

Hi....haven't posted in a long time. We were suppose to take our first cruise a couple of years ago, but unfortunately had to cancel. So, our official first cruise is next month on the Miracle leaving from NY. We live just outside of Boston and are very much considering driving. to NY We plan to leave very early in the morning, day of our cruise. What is the earliest you are allowed to park once you reach the port??

Thank you!!

Hi....haven't posted in a long time. We were suppose to take our first cruise a couple of years ago, but unfortunately had to cancel. So, our official first cruise is next month on the Miracle leaving from NY. We live just outside of Boston and are very much considering driving. to NY We plan to leave very early in the morning, day of our cruise. What is the earliest you are allowed to park once you reach the port??

Thank you!!

around 8-9. but you don't want to be that early as you will wind out fighting a lot of rush hour traffic if you are coming during the week. Aim to get there around 11 and you'll come into NYC after rush hour....no traffic 4-5 hours with traffic a lot more.

Thanks for your help. Another question, if we get there say by 9 or 10, I know it will be too early to board the ship, what if anything is at the port that we can do after we park the car, for example, eating, etc.

Thank you!!

the parking lot is open all day when a cruise ship is. you can arrive anytime

Thanks for your help. Another question, if we get there say by 9 or 10, I know it will be too early to board the ship, what if anything is at the port that we can do after we park the car, for example, eating, etc.

There are food machines at the terminal. Across 12th Avenue there are some places to get coffee and donuts/bagels. The Landmark Tavern is on 11th Avenue and 49th street. Most of the cruise lines do put coffee out but some don't. You can find more and more food/restaurants the further east you go....by foot. You can also stop at a deli before you park and get take out to take with you....

Well, due to circumstances beyond our control...lol. We will be taking the bus from the cruise ship to South Station...So, that you can pick up the cruise bus for $75.00 round trip from Boston or Providence (you can park there) and getting right to the ship.. With the price of gas..it's almost a bargain.. BTW Parrot Pop and I are part of Red Sox Nation

Hi Parrot Mom - You've got to love and be a part of Red Sox nation:) I'm not quite sure what you mean by the cruise bus, or are you taking the train from South Station to NY, and then taking a bus to the cruise ship once the bus arrives in NY??

Hi Parrot Mom - You've got to love and be a part of Red Sox nation:) I'm not quite sure what you mean by the cruise bus, or are you taking the train from South Station to NY, and then taking a bus to the cruise ship once the bus arrives in NY??

Love my Big Papi--There is a special bus that leaves S. Station to take you directly to your cruise ship....http://www.enttours.com/trips.cfm?categoryid=2--Several years ago we picked it up at the Providence Bus Station to get to an NCL cruise from NYC. We were able to park our car at the bus station for the week. We are flying to Barcelona to pick up the Celebrity Constellation and are cruising into "beautiful" Bayonne, New Jersey...Unless we pay over $300.00 EACH to fly one way back to Logan, there is no way to come home without the hassle of going to LaGuardia or maybe Kennedy...and putting up with the airport mobs, TSA,etc.. The other alternative was to rent a car one way home...The secret part of this is that I can shop as much as possible and won't get charged overage by the airlines.lol

Thanks for the info on the website. Just curious...when leaving out of Boston, is the parking free at South Station bus terminal, if not, do you know what the rates are to park. Still thinking of driving, for the 3 of us it would be $225 to take the bus....I would not spend near that much in gas round trip unless gas was at $8 a gallon:eek: But, I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of the bus or driving ourselves.

The bus is $75.00 ROUND TRIP..at the rate of speed gas is going up..lol..Would three of you be driving to the port? I don't know if there is any long term parking at South Station... it wouldbe best if somebody drove you... a relative or a friend.. We are having a local livery service pick us up there.. Also, it depends on how many pieces of luggage you are taking individually....of course driving to or being driven to the port is different than flying..lol

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you take the train to Penn Station the night before. Stay at the red roof in 2 blocks from train station. Take taxi to port next day. Did you check parking rates. IF i remember from research for my may 1st cruise is 30.00 a day for cruisers. Plus the worry of will your car be there when u get back. My wife and I live in upstate Ny and are taking a train the day before and staying at the red roof.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=79752

driving from Boston...there is a new bus...

The Greyhound bus into the Port Authority terminal is reliable also, make sure you get the express, not the local. BUT, under no circumstances should you take the Chinatown bus. . .It is cheap, but the buses are not maintained properly amongst other stuff:eek:

gabsmom215 - I had to pipe in - We are also part of Red Sox Nation!! Got to love those boys!! We will be sailing on the Miracle the week after you!! Too bad, we could have had a drink to celebrate the beginning of a new season for the Sox. Anyway - we have a group of 13 of us and we are driving in. We're taking 2 vehicles and trust me even with the gas prices it's still cheaper for us to just drive ourselves. We checked into the bus thing, but we'd still have to either find someone to take us all to the bus station or pay for our vehicles to be parked there. And with all the luggage - forget it!!

We drove in a few years ago and stopped somewhere just before the pier and grabbed something to eat to bring with us. We will be leaving again around 7:30 and hopefully arriving in NYC around 11ish!!

Have a great cruise!

gabsmom215 - I had to pipe in - We are also part of Red Sox Nation!! Got to love those boys!! We will be sailing on the Miracle the week after you!! Too bad, we could have had a drink to celebrate the beginning of a new season for the Sox. Anyway - we have a group of 13 of us and we are driving in. We're taking 2 vehicles and trust me even with the gas prices it's still cheaper for us to just drive ourselves. We checked into the bus thing, but we'd still have to either find someone to take us all to the bus station or pay for our vehicles to be parked there. And with all the luggage - forget it!!

We drove in a few years ago and stopped somewhere just before the pier and grabbed something to eat to bring with us. We will be leaving again around 7:30 and hopefully arriving in NYC around 11ish!!

Have a great cruise!

JUST WATCHING OUR BOYS IN JAPAN RIGHT NOW.

I suggest you take the train to Penn Station the night before. Stay at the red roof in 2 blocks from train station. Take taxi to port next day. Did you check parking rates. IF i remember from research for my may 1st cruise is 30.00 a day for cruisers. Plus the worry of will your car be there when u get back. My wife and I live in upstate Ny and are taking a train the day before and staying at the red roof.

Why would I need to worry if my car will be there when we return from the cruise?? Aren't the cars parked in a secure place at the pier? We have decided to drive. For us to take the bus from South Station or even the train would be a pain. We live north of Boston, would have to get someone to drive us in and pick us up on our return, or find a place to leave our car parked in Boston. And Pmoniz, Go Sox!!! Too bad we weren't on the cruise at the same time.

Why would I need to worry if my car will be there when we return from the cruise?? Aren't the cars parked in a secure place at the pier? We have decided to drive. For us to take the bus from South Station or even the train would be a pain. We live north of Boston, would have to get someone to drive us in and pick us up on our return, or find a place to leave our car parked in Boston. And Pmoniz, Go Sox!!! Too bad we weren't on the cruise at the same time.

The parking is very secure. :)

Just read another post from someone in Plymouth MA that they are renting a car for $56 to drive down to Manhattan for their cruise. No need to park, just turn in the car and have another reserved for the ride home. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, no parking fee, no wear and tear on your car! I have asked for the details and will let you know what I find out.

Originally we thought of renting a car in Bayonne to drive back to Marlboro, MA..and the thoughts of at least four hours of our driving (we are seniors) back home... we decided that the bus for $75.00.. was a better deal.. LOL,LOL and I don't have to go through &&(*&(&(A TSA and security and worry about shopping on our cruise.. maybe even bring home a camel saddle..lol

Archived