Booked fall 2009 today....am I going crazy ?

Thoth

You know I wish I could get as excited about TV as I do about cruises. The New England/Canada itinerary so enticed me that I booked a cruise for fall 2009. I've never booked a cruise so early before but the price was good and I just couldn't wait. Maybe I'm going crazy, but there was this intuition that New England/ Canada is similar to Alaskan cruises....in that the fill up quickly and the cheap rooms go fast. Well I got my cheap room and now I must wait a LONG time !

It's on Carnival which was much cheaper than the others at 898 for cruise and 419 for air. I've been on Holland America but their New England itinerary was outrageous. With a single room supplement, the cruise itself would be close to $2000. Princess or Royal Caribbean both much higher than Carnival's offer. Needless to say I jumped on that Cat 1a rate due to the fact it won't be there if I waited until next year to book.

Crazy or not New England here I come, but not until 2009 !

You know I wish I could get as excited about TV as I do about cruises. The New England/Canada itinerary so enticed me that I booked a cruise for fall 2009. I've never booked a cruise so early before but the price was good and I just couldn't wait. Maybe I'm going crazy, but there was this intuition that New England/ Canada is similar to Alaskan cruises....in that the fill up quickly and the cheap rooms go fast. Well I got my cheap room and now I must wait a LONG time !

It's on Carnival which was much cheaper than the others at 898 for cruise and 419 for air. I've been on Holland America but their New England itinerary was outrageous. With a single room supplement, the cruise itself would be close to $2000. Princess or Royal Caribbean both much higher than Carnival's offer. Needless to say I jumped on that Cat 1a rate due to the fact it won't be there if I waited until next year to book.

Crazy or not New England here I come, but not until 2009 !

I am just curious, where did you find Priness Canada/New England for 2009. It is not on the Princess site yet?

Marilyn

I am just curious, where did you find Priness Canada/New England for 2009. It is not on the Princess site yet?

Marilyn

Not sure if I did find it for 2009. I based most of my research on 2008.

Many apologies to any loyal Princess cruisers. I intended no disrespect.

Not sure if I did find it for 2009. I based most of my research on 2008.

Many apologies to any loyal Princess cruisers. I intended no disrespect.

No apologies expected. I thought I had lost my mind because I am waiting for the Princess cruises for that area.:D

Marilyn

• 1 month later...

I also just booked through Carnival sailing on October 10, 2009. Got an amazing deal but as you said must now wait. I'll be looking at these boards now because I have no idea what to expect on this cruise but am excited nevertheless. It will be a friends and sisters cruise and our group is growing by the week. Just hope my airfare next year doesn't end up costing more then the cruise lol!

I also just booked through Carnival sailing on October 10, 2009. Got an amazing deal but as you said must now wait. I'll be looking at these boards now because I have no idea what to expect on this cruise but am excited nevertheless. It will be a friends and sisters cruise and our group is growing by the week. Just hope my airfare next year doesn't end up costing more then the cruise lol!

waiting stinks but time will fly by. This should be a great cruise and a bit a change of scenery from the Caribbean trips like the one I just finished yesterday.

Fall is beauiful in this area of the country! It's woth anticipating. October is usually the most colorful. If your itinerary goes to Bar Harbor, be sure to get into Acadia National Park. simply beautiful

I'm scheduled to visit Portland and not Bar Harbour. Seeing the national park is on my to do list though. someday !

I have a group also thinking of Carnivals itinerary for 2009.

Still not sure which week as I am checking rates for all the fall 7 day sailings.. So far looks like about 920 for the balcony deck 5.. Hope the group perks are good..

Will be our first sailing from New York and first also on the Triumph.

We are also looking into Canada for fall of 2009. Depending on when my friend can get off work - it will either be a 9 night with RCI or the Truimph. And to answer your question - NO! You are NOT crazy!!! :)

THANKS !!

Well I did it. Booked my group on the Sept 26, 2009 sailing..

Great group perks with $100. shipboard credit.. I will have 20 deposited now and will see how it grows over the next 511 long days..

What ship?? Can you email me with details - please?

dolfinmusic@aol.com

Just put cruise in the subject line!

Thanks!

Well I did it. Booked my group on the Sept 26, 2009 sailing..

Great group perks with $100. shipboard credit.. I will have 20 deposited now and will see how it grows over the next 511 long days..

you and your friends are going to have SO much fun. Like with me it's going to be an anxious wait. The day will come.

What ship?? Can you email me with details - please?

dolfinmusic@aol.com

Just put cruise in the subject line!

Thanks!

Hope you got the info I sent on the pricing.. The agent I spoke to said that the Sept. 19th sailing is already half sold out. She said they will be reducing the group perk points so glad I got in when I did for my week on Sept 26th.

Hope you got the info I sent on the pricing.. The agent I spoke to said that the Sept. 19th sailing is already half sold out. She said they will be reducing the group perk points so glad I got in when I did for my week on Sept 26th.

Wow...halfway sold out more than one year out.

I too was most surprised to hear that "all the early dining times are FULL" only late seating is available.

I assume there is some large corp group on that sail date..

I requested early dining, but could accept late if it comes to that.

There are some early arrivals in ports...Halifax is 0700, Portland and St John are 0800.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoth,

Well, I'm crazy right there with you! We are book Oct. 2, 2009 aboard the QM2. Only 502 days togo!!!! :p Oh well, something wonderful to look forward to :rolleyes:

Betsy

I'm looking at the fall October sailings also. I have never cruised with anyone but Holland America and am just a little skeptic about RCI or Carnival. But .... those HAL rates are just outrageous!!!

Anyone previously cruised on HAL but jumped ship to try RCI or Carnival? Will I be disappointed??

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking at the fall October sailings also. I have never cruised with anyone but Holland America and am just a little skeptic about RCI or Carnival. But .... those HAL rates are just outrageous!!!

Anyone previously cruised on HAL but jumped ship to try RCI or Carnival? Will I be disappointed??

Same here ! The HAL rates to New England & East Canada were not competitive with Carnival. HAL seemed to want about twice what Carnival charged me for next year's cruise.

Will you be disappointed with Carnival compared to HAL? I don't know !

I've sailed both lines and I didn't find Carnival a step down...BUT that's simply my experiences. HAL is a bit more formal, dignified, and elegant while Carnival is more party orientated. However for New England/Canada itineraries, I don't think the party animals will be around. The stereotypical Carnival party animal isn't likely to interested in lighthouses and fishing villages. No they will be parting on a Jamaican beach.

Point is...my conjecture or discernment suggest that Carnival to New England should be quit the bargain.

This is SOO funny! I thought we were crazy, but this past week we were in Charleston on vacation with my GA family--we are in MD..and we are planning a 2009 Sept cruise to New England to celebrate my folks 50th anniversary, in fact, I am trying to look at shore excursions right now.

I thought we would be way early...guess I'd better get a deposit down!

We are going on RCL--our favorite! I think we will do the Sept 10th sailing.

Happy travels to all!

Grits

This is SOO funny! I thought we were crazy, but this past week we were in Charleston on vacation with my GA family--we are in MD..and we are planning a 2009 Sept cruise to New England to celebrate my folks 50th anniversary, in fact, I am trying to look at shore excursions right now.

I thought we would be way early...guess I'd better get a deposit down!

We are going on RCL--our favorite! I think we will do the Sept 10th sailing.

Happy travels to all!

Grits

I beginning to think there might not be such a thing as too early for New England/Canada. With Alaskan itineraries it's prudent to book early and that might be true for New England as well.

Shore excursions aren't the same as Caribbean that's for certain. They all seem to possess a certain historical, cultural, or natural appeal....which is right down my alley.

Archived