Booked fall 2009 today....am I going crazy ?

Thoth

I have had such a time with Carnival since we booked May 5th 2008 for this sailing. We all booked the aft 8B cabins at a good rate back then..

It was before they decided to re-catagorize the cabins. Once that was done, they had a rate drop for many of the cabin catagories but said our 8B are now 8G and are more???

Well we had a group contract and always in the past, everyone booked into a specific cabin cat. would get any and all rate reductions.. We fought that it was 8B WHEN we booked therefore they needed to apply any discounts to the cabins THEY changed AFTER our contract.

Long story but finally got them to amend our rates and keep our group perks of $100 per cabin and cocktail party..

NOW they have these new RATES called early booking (gee over a year ours has been booked) that are lower than our rates. There are too many restrictions for us to change again. They also have a fun saver and a cabin specific booking rates.. both have a lower rate than our current rate.. Now waiting to see if they will reduce our rates again.. It is $51 per person savings.

Do call and ask them to check ALL the different "rates" I do know that they will give some of the special rates to the 1A cabins so don't let them tell you different

I have had such a time with Carnival since we booked May 5th 2008 for this sailing. We all booked the aft 8B cabins at a good rate back then..

It was before they decided to re-catagorize the cabins. Once that was done, they had a rate drop for many of the cabin catagories but said our 8B are now 8G and are more???

Well we had a group contract and always in the past, everyone booked into a specific cabin cat. would get any and all rate reductions.. We fought that it was 8B WHEN we booked therefore they needed to apply any discounts to the cabins THEY changed AFTER our contract.

Long story but finally got them to amend our rates and keep our group perks of $100 per cabin and cocktail party..

NOW they have these new RATES called early booking (gee over a year ours has been booked) that are lower than our rates. There are too many restrictions for us to change again. They also have a fun saver and a cabin specific booking rates.. both have a lower rate than our current rate.. Now waiting to see if they will reduce our rates again.. It is $51 per person savings.

Do call and ask them to check ALL the different "rates" I do know that they will give some of the special rates to the 1A cabins so don't let them tell you different

I get the feeling that once I'm booked that will be that. Within the next month, I will need to pick up April's documents. I'll ask him about the September trip then.

That would be good to do. I know that there are NO more rate adjustments to your account AFTER final payment..So get what you can before..

In April I have a 5 day cruise out of Mobile ( no flying) to Mexico where I'm to visit the famous Chichen Itza. The cruise in paid for, the Chichen Itza tour is paid for, and so is a Jeep tour of Cozumel.

Needless to say, there is no need to pester my travel agent just yet concerning September. Seems best to celebrate the spring cruise, THEN I can be a pest for a better deal. So far I've only paid a deposit for New England/Canada.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a popular question because Boston hotels are outrageous, particularly in the fall season with all the college events. You are not going to be happy with the choices. Tell us more about your plans - dates, how many nights, car or plane arrival, how many people, types of acceptable accommodations (full service hotel, no frills hotel, B&B, etc.). The good news is that Boston is a small city with good public transportation or the ability to walk. Any hotel in the downtown area will be a short cab ride to the pier. I would definitely make a refundable reservation NOW and keep tabs on the prices to see if something better comes up.

This is a popular question because Boston hotels are outrageous, particularly in the fall season with all the college events. You may not be happy with the choices. Tell us more about your plans - dates, how many nights, car or plane arrival, how many people, types of acceptable accommodations (full service hotel, no frills hotel, B&B, etc.). The good news is that Boston is a small city with good public transportation or the ability to walk. Any hotel in the downtown area will be a short cab ride to the pier. I would definitely make a refundable reservation NOW and keep tabs on the prices to see if something better comes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Consistent with my character, I just couldn't wait so I booked my shore excursions.

Boston: Lexington & Concord + Harvard

Portland: Cog railroad up Mount Washington

St John: Bay of Fundy National Park

Halifax: Peggy's Cove & double-decker bus tour

We've booked our excursions also:

Bar Harbor - Bar Harbor by Land and Sea - Motor Coach thru Acadia National Park & Margaret Todd (151', four masted schooner that sails around Frenchman's Bay)

Halifax - Peggy's Cove Lighthouse Route

Sydney - Will explore on our own

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - Island Drive & Anne of Green Gables

Quebec City - Will explore on our own

I've NEVER booked shore excursions this early - can you tell we're excited!! :D

We've booked our excursions also:

Bar Harbor - Bar Harbor by Land and Sea - Motor Coach thru Acadia National Park & Margaret Todd (151', four masted schooner that sails around Frenchman's Bay)

Halifax - Peggy's Cove Lighthouse Route

Sydney - Will explore on our own

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island - Island Drive & Anne of Green Gables

Quebec City - Will explore on our own

I've NEVER booked shore excursions this early - can you tell we're excited!! :D

Your choices sound great to me. I've always wished to visit Acadia National Park. Too bad Carnival doesn't go to Bar Harbour.

Sounds like we might be seeing some the same places in Halifax.

I'm excited also...then again I'm ALWAYS excited about leisure travel.

Your excursions sound great too!! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on your cruise. :)

Y'all have a great cruise as well....which I'm sure you will enjoy. Like I said before, I've actually been on the Maasdam. A very classy ship which attracted classy people. Your itinerary sounds quit interesting as well, with somewhat diverse ports.

We've never been on the Maasdam but out of the cruise lines we have traveled (i.e. HAL, RCI & Disney), we prefer the Holland American ships!! :)

Besides the M-Dam, I've also done her sister the S-Dam( Statendam) and the O-Dam ( Oosterdam). Out of 8 cruises, I think the Oosterdam was my favorite ship. Thinking I would be lost in a crowd I didn't think I would enjoy the bigger Vista class(like the o-dam).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to see some more early bookers. We booked in early 2008, but I just found this thread (I've been looking at the "Canada" instead).

We're doing a 10-night NYC round-trip on the NCL Jewel, which hits the same ports as EbayCruiser, with the exception of Bar Harbor. We'll get Boston instead. Our other ports are Halifax, Quebec City, Charlottetown PEI and Sydney.

So far we've only decided on the ship's cruise to the Fortess of Louisbourg in Sydney. I've been told that is the one place you need to have a tour booked, as there's nothing else to do there. On PEI, we're renting a car and driving. It's a small island, and we'd like to see/photograph some of the many lighthouses. We'll do the Freedom Trail in Boston on our own, using the T to get there from the ship.

Other than those plans, we're going to WALK, WALK, WALK.

Good to see some more early bookers. We booked in early 2008, but I just found this thread (I've been looking at the "Canada" instead).

We're doing a 10-night NYC round-trip on the NCL Jewel, which hits the same ports as EbayCruiser, with the exception of Bar Harbor. We'll get Boston instead. Our other ports are Halifax, Quebec City, Charlottetown PEI and Sydney.

So far we've only decided on the ship's cruise to the Fortess of Louisbourg in Sydney. I've been told that is the one place you need to have a tour booked, as there's nothing else to do there. On PEI, we're renting a car and driving. It's a small island, and we'd like to see/photograph some of the many lighthouses. We'll do the Freedom Trail in Boston on our own, using the T to get there from the ship.

Other than those plans, we're going to WALK, WALK, WALK.

Sounds nice !

My cruise about 4 months out...times flies.

Sounds nice !

My cruise about 4 months out...times flies.

Yes, finally! You know, I have always had trouble trying to choose an excursion we really wanted to do. This cruise, I want to do ALL of them. I'm more excited about this cruise (and staying a couple of days in NYC) than any I've been on.

Yes, finally! You know, I have always had trouble trying to choose an excursion we really wanted to do. This cruise, I want to do ALL of them. I'm more excited about this cruise (and staying a couple of days in NYC) than any I've been on.

True...the shore excursions all seem to good. Since history and nature are my cups of tea, all the shore excursions seem a good fit. Problem was I can't see certain things...

Boston: I picked Lexington & Concord, but will regret missing a walking tour of Boston

Portland Maine: Cog railroad to Mt Washington....meaning I'll miss the Maine lighthouses

Saint John NB: I'm doing Bay of Fundy national park....tough choice there

Halifax NS: Peggy's Cove and double deck bus....of many good choices

True...the shore excursions all seem to good. Since history and nature are my cups of tea, all the shore excursions seem a good fit. Problem was I can't see certain things...

Boston: I picked Lexington & Concord, but will regret missing a walking tour of Boston

Portland Maine: Cog railroad to Mt Washington....meaning I'll miss the Maine lighthouses

Saint John NB: I'm doing Bay of Fundy national park....tough choice there

Halifax NS: Peggy's Cove and double deck bus....of many good choices

All of yours sound good! We've not planned anything for Halifax, but I'd like to do Peggy's Cove with a lobster bake. I've read so many suggestions about Boston -- guided walking tour, Duck tour, Hop-on-Hop-Off Trolley, harbor cruise . . . too much! If we didn't live on the West Coast, we'd be doing this cruise again next year.

All of yours sound good! We've not planned anything for Halifax, but I'd like to do Peggy's Cove with a lobster bake. I've read so many suggestions about Boston -- guided walking tour, Duck tour, Hop-on-Hop-Off Trolley, harbor cruise . . . too much! If we didn't live on the West Coast, we'd be doing this cruise again next year.

You certainly live in a pretty area as well. In 92-93 I was stationed at Travis AFB ( Fairfield, Vacaville) and I loved the drive though the wine country....St Helina, Calistoga, Yountville. Point Reyes is one of California's best kept secrets.

It really is beautiful here, but we pay for it! Did you ever get into Sonoma County? Napa is nice, but Sonoma is much friendlier. Speaking of military, my ex and I lived in your state (in Meridian) when he was going through pilot training with the Navy.

It really is beautiful here, but we pay for it! Did you ever get into Sonoma County? Napa is nice, but Sonoma is much friendlier. Speaking of military, my ex and I lived in your state (in Meridian) when he was going through pilot training with the Navy.

Small world indeed. My brother lives in Meridian. As recall I have driven though Sonoma Co..... driven highway 128 to Geyserville and down highway 101 through Santa Rosa & Petaluma. This was 1992 and 93 so my memories fade a little. Yeah the people seemed friendlier as one gets away from the bay area's urban sprawl. I enjoyed the smaller communities in California myself. San Francisco is a lovely city and everyone should see it, but I preferred the coast and mountains. Muir woods, Point Reyes, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Lassen Volcano, Redwoods national Park. A few years ago, my parents and I stayed in Crescent City. It was quit chilly for summer. The motel had no air conditioning due to the simple fact it never gets hot in Crescent City....or so we were told.

• 4 months later...

Well this cruise I booked in March 08 has come and gone.

The trip was well worth the long wait. Lovely ship and simply wonderful ports of call.

The only issues I encountered was the terrible air service. I was delayed twice in Atlanta's airport....once going and once coming home. I almost missed the ship going and got home a day late coming home.

Boston: Lexington& Concord tour showcased some of New England's best colonial architecture.

Portland ME: I went in New Hampshire and rode up Mount Washington's historic cog railroad. Lovely up there !

Saint John NB: the Fundy National Park has the world's highest tides. Wonderful people

Halifax: Peggy's Cove, the Citadel, and boardwalk. People love to talk with guest.

Archived