Beware Concierge Class Room misrepresentation (dishonesty?) on Costellation

tpode

The concierge class moniker is based on the size of the room and amenities. Unfortunately, they don't take into account the balcony. If they did, the aft CC cabins would be much higher in price. Same with the sweet 16 cabins.

Yes, I feel bad for the OP. The design here was not the best. If during the design, X had put in a slightly smaller cabin with a larger balcony, they wouldn't have these problems. But it's a little late for that.

The websites for most cruise lines indicate which cabins have an obstructed view. I think the same thing should be done when there is another problem, such as a miniscule balcony than can barely fit one person.

The first time we had a CC cabin on Celebrity they had a different classification and the ones on deck 9 had a higher classification code than the same cabin on a lower deck. At the time, our travel agent told me that we could get a free upgrade by getting a cabin on deck 9 for the same price as deck 8, so we decided to take advantage of that "upgrade".

Little did we know that the cabin we got was just below the pool with a large overhang that blocked the sun, and we would have been better off booking that cabin on a lower deck.

At the time I was annoyed but learned a lesson in the process. That was the last time I relied on advice from a travel agent and realized that every passenger needs to do their own research.

Hi Everyone !

I totally agree that this cabin should not be sold as a CC Class Cabin. It should be sold as a Cat 4 Outside Cabin, and the balcony should be considered a free bonus. This way, the passenger would be getting something for nothing, and wouldn't have any reason to be disappointed. Celebrity should also make it very clear that this cabin has a severely reduced balcony size.

Let's hope Celebrity listens to us.

Hi Everyone !

I totally agree that this cabin should not be sold as a CC Class Cabin. It should be sold as a Cat 4 Outside Cabin, and the balcony should be considered a free bonus. This way, the passenger would be getting something for nothing, and wouldn't have any reason to be disappointed. Celebrity should also make it very clear that this cabin has a severely reduced balcony size.

Let's hope Celebrity listens to us.

Andy, I'd probably say that classifying them as outside cat 4s may be a bit generous, but a 2B veranda rating would seem appropriate with the extra space inside as compensation. There can be quite a price differential between a CC and 2B and I could live without the extras. I am not a Captains Club cruise credit junkie chasing that extra one credit either, but that might be important to some on the cusp of the next level up I suppose.

Sky Sweet, I had exactly the same issue recently booking a balcony cabin on an upcoming Alaska cruise on Infinity. The 2As on the Sky Deck were cheaper than the 2Bs on the Vista Deck and my TA suggested booking a better value 2A. Having read the boards here I stuck with a cabin on the Vista Deck that was only slightly more expensive. Another reason I find these boards so very useful!

Phil

Hi Everyone !

I totally agree that this cabin should not be sold as a CC Class Cabin. It should be sold as a Cat 4 Outside Cabin, and the balcony should be considered a free bonus. This way, the passenger would be getting something for nothing, and wouldn't have any reason to be disappointed.

LOL at this. If X took Host Andy's advice I'd give it about 3 cruises before someone complained that they booked an ocean view so they wouldn't have to worry about their child opening the balcony door unsupervised and their cruise was ruined because they got this room. ;)

My sister, brother in law, hubby andI are booked on Mercury CC class. We have cabins 1000 and 1001 on Penthouse Deck (we know they are on different sides). As my BIL booked this cruise and he has never cruised before he took what the travel agent offered. Does anyone know if these cabins are OK or might we have any issues and should we be trying to change?

Many thanks for your help.

My sister, brother in law, hubby andI are booked on Mercury CC class. We have cabins 1000 and 1001 on Penthouse Deck (we know they are on different sides). As my BIL booked this cruise and he has never cruised before he took what the travel agent offered. Does anyone know if these cabins are OK or might we have any issues and should we be trying to change?

Many thanks for your help.

I've been in 1012 which is a Sky Suite just along the corridor. Aside from being well forward and therefore more prone to movement of the ship if there is any, I think it's a great spot. There is little passing traffic as there is nothing forward of you. The greatest plus for me though is that there isn't any overhang from the deck above, so your cabins will be more open to the sun. Some prefer the shade, but I liked the more open feel. If you have a look at the picture link in my signature you'll see the overhang viewed from one of the Royal Suites on Galaxy. Different ship and cabin, but same idea and you won't have that overhang.

Phil

Thanks for the photos Phil. You have put my mind at rest. To be honest we have never sailed Celebrity and BIL has never cruised before, he asked the travel agent for 2 balcony cabins and they said the only ones were CC class. We really don't know much about the difference so will look forward to seeing if they are worth the extra money.

Thanks again for your input.

Andy, I'd probably say that classifying them as outside cat 4s may be a bit generous, but a 2B veranda rating would seem appropriate with the extra space inside as compensation. There can be quite a price differential between a CC and 2B and I could live without the extras. I am not a Captains Club cruise credit junkie chasing that extra one credit either, but that might be important to some on the cusp of the next level up I suppose.

Sky Sweet, I had exactly the same issue recently booking a balcony cabin on an upcoming Alaska cruise on Infinity. The 2As on the Sky Deck were cheaper than the 2Bs on the Vista Deck and my TA suggested booking a better value 2A. Having read the boards here I stuck with a cabin on the Vista Deck that was only slightly more expensive. Another reason I find these boards so very useful!

Phil

I don't think there is any difference in interior space between an oceanview and a 2B. I would definitely be upset to pay for a balcony at all and to get that. A 2B still has a usable veranda where a couple can enjoy breakfast- that cabin does not.

I don't think there is any difference in interior space between an oceanview and a 2B. I would definitely be upset to pay for a balcony at all and to get that. A 2B still has a usable veranda where a couple can enjoy breakfast- that cabin does not.

I was using the comparison of a CC over a 2B for an extra 20 sq ft.

Phil

We are booked on the Millenium in September and were in CC cabins 9092 and 9094. AFter reading about hte problem on the Connie, I looked at the diagram closer for Millie and saw that 9094 also has the cutout on it. I immediately called and changed to cabin 9086 instead of 9094. I can't thank everyone enough for the information that you have provided on this thread. It has saved me a huge headache and heartache as we are taking our parents for my father's 77th birthday and my husband would not have been happy with a balcony that looked like that. Again, thank you to all for all of your helpful information.

Archived