RCI's Cruise Protection Plan

How do you protect your trip?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. How do you protect your trip?

• I use RCI's Cruise Protection Plan
    • I use another company for travel insurance
    • I do not use travel insurance
    • Other

I just went back to look at a quote for my brother and sister-in-law (I had talked them through a purchase the other day). The CSA site says, "Requested Limits Per Person" and "The premium shown is a total for all travelers entered."

"Coverages shown are per person unless noted otherwise."

So, I am confused. :confused: It says coverages are per person unless otherwise noted. I don't see where anything is noted.

I did notice that their quote was a few dollars less when I had them together, versus the single that I purchased for myself (my DH is not going on this trip).

Hi Sea Island Lady,

If you look at the CSA Certificate of Coverage, you'll find this wording:

"PART B BENEFITS

Benefits will be paid for the expense incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, if an Insured incurs a Covered Expense as a result of a Sickness, which manifests itself during a Covered Trip or as a result of an accidental Injury that occurs during the Covered Trip."

I hope this helps.

Not really! :D I'll just have to take your word for it.

I am blaming my brother, because I tried to get him to read all the fine print before he bought the policy. I am not that great with all the fancy wording. :rolleyes:

Question: If my brother and his wife had to fly home for an emergency, would they both be insured enough to do so?

We started using Travelguard/AIG with our last cruise. There was a chance that my DH might have deployed a few weeks prior and they actually state that they cover this. Plus my TA knows someone that had a similar situation and no problems with it was needed.

You have to read the fine print, because all the other ones (includingg RCCL's) cover military activation, but only under state of natural disasters...tricky...very tricky...

DH is currently deployed and we will go with Travelguard/AIG again incase he gets extended...which hopefully he won't.

Not really! :D I'll just have to take your word for it.

I am blaming my brother, because I tried to get him to read all the fine print before he bought the policy. I am not that great with all the fancy wording. :rolleyes:

Question: If my brother and his wife had to fly home for an emergency, would they both be insured enough to do so?

Hi Sea Island Lady,

If it's an emergency transportation, yes there'll be enough coverage for that. A trip interruption's different. CSA has a 150% of trip cost benefit, so the amount they insured will determine if they'll have enough money.

Multiply their insured trip cost by 1.5 and that tells you the maximum amount of money they have for trip interruption.

I get my insurance through my bank so I chose other. If you're Canadian, the Royal Bank has great insurance.

I chose another company but maybe should have chosen other.

I have a Desjardins Odyssey Gold VISA which is a Cdn travel CC that provides travel insurance for DW, dependent children (does not apply to us but could to others) and myself. Granted it not primary but for $90 per year and $20 for DW's card so she is covered when she travels without me, we each get $5,000,000 of emergency health care coverage including transportation and repatriation home, $1,000,000 of common carrier accident coverage, $2,000 of trip cancellation or delay coverage and $500 of baggage coverage for up to 48 days per trip for unlimited number of trips per year. These more than meet our needs completely. You can also pay extra to extend this coverage for a longer period for any one trip. Considering we did four cruises last year resulting in us being out of Canada for a total of 50 days, this is very reasonable cost travel insurance. It also provides purchase protection/extended warranty and auto rental loss damage protection for all that is charged to this CC. It also gives me back 1% for domestic and 2% for foreign purchases in travel credits that can be applied to any travel expense charged to this CC which our cruise expenses alone more than pays for the $110 yearly fee since we almost always paid for our cruising costs in $US.

We also have limited out of the country health coverage through our government and my company pension health insurance plans.

I also forgot to mention that the Odyssey card also provides a world wide travel assistance service in the event of any travel emergencies such as in lost paper tickets (not as important with e-tickets), lost documents, accidents, legal problems and predeparture formalities such a passport and visa requirements, currency exchange, etc.

Hi Sea Island Lady,

If it's an emergency transportation, yes there'll be enough coverage for that. A trip interruption's different. CSA has a 150% of trip cost benefit, so the amount they insured will determine if they'll have enough money.

Multiply their insured trip cost by 1.5 and that tells you the maximum amount of money they have for trip interruption.

I thought that they are supposedly insured for separate amounts for the trip interruption. They insured $4000 ($2200 each for cruise and $1650 each for flight, plus a little extra because the limit was $4000 in that rate bracket, so we just insured with that amount). That's $6000 Trip Interruption.

Does this mean if they cancel the trip, only one will be covered and recoup the cost of the cruise and air? :confused:

I thought that they are supposedly insured for separate amounts for the trip interruption. They insured $4000 ($2200 each for cruise and $1650 each for flight, plus a little extra because the limit was $4000 in that rate bracket, so we just insured with that amount). That's $6000 Trip Interruption.

Does this mean if they cancel the trip, only one will be covered and recoup the cost of the cruise and air? :confused:

Hi Sea Island Lady,

No, I didn't mean that. What I meant was that CSA uses a "Total Trip Cost" calculation for all the travelers. That means that if the full insured trip cost was $4,000 the most everyone together will get for a trip cancellation is $4000.

And the 150% trip interruption means the the most everyone together will get for a trip interruption is $6000.

You said it again!

The cruise and air was $4000 EACH and I thought I was insuring the both of them for that amount. If they had to cancel their trip, they would need $8000 to recoup expenses. :eek:

HI Sea Island Lady,

Look at the CSA confirmation to find out the amount insured. If it says $4,000 then it's $4,000 total for all people on the same policy.

Don't worry if they only have $4,000 coverage. It's very easy to increase their insured trip cost with CSA to $8,000 total. Of course the cost goes up, so that's an unpleasant surprise.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news! But, I hope this helps.

I don't have a confirmation. My brother has it, but I will ask him to send it to me.

I am still confused, because they paid to insure two persons at $164 each! If they had taken out the insurance separately, they would have still paid the same amount pp. It is too late to insure more, as the deadline has passed for waiver on pre-existing conditioned.

I assume everyone here has checked all their medical insurance policies, and their credit card coverage. Some credit cards offer, actually some include, travel insurance when you use the card to purchase travel goods.

Assuming you end up with no coverage outside the U.S., then it's a choice of what you need. That's where all the variables come in, depending on your situation.

For instance, we have coverage with an HMO that covers us for medical emergencies and transportation. So, we are more interested in covering the cruise in case of cancellation. That's why we choose RCCL's Cruisecare coverage, because it's got the cruise credit clause.

BUT, that's IF we get insurance. We get insurance based on the cost of the trip. If we cruise in Europe, we always get the insurance. West Coast or short cruises, we don't. Since we have a lot of coverage with our credit card, many circumstances are covered.

What I'm suggesting is to check your existing health insurance, and your credit card, and see what's already covered.

I don't have a confirmation. My brother has it, but I will ask him to send it to me.

I am still confused, because they paid to insure two persons at $164 each! If they had taken out the insurance separately, they would have still paid the same amount pp. It is too late to insure more, as the deadline has passed for waiver on pre-existing conditioned.

Hi Sea Island Lady,

Had they got 2 policies at $2000 each, the cost would've been close to being on the same policy at $4000 total.

You can still increase their trip cost since you met the deadline to get the policy.

Hi Sea Island Lady,

Had they got 2 policies at $2000 each, the cost would've been close to being on the same policy at $4000 total.

You can still increase their trip cost since you met the deadline to get the policy.

When I said purchase their insurance separately, I meant at $4000 each (total trip cost pp ~ which BTW is what insuremytrip ask for in the quote! It ask Trip Cost per person -OR- Total Combined - We filled in the section that ask for Total Trip cost per person). It would have still cost them $164 each., That's what mine cost.

Talked to my brother and his computer is in the shop for a horrendous virus. They are going to have to wipe the computer clean. The policy is in his email account and he did not print out his policy. He is leaving for a week long ski trip today and said he would handle everything when he returns. Just to ease my mind, I am going to email CSA and ask them about this.

Thanks again for your help and I will come back and report after the holiday.

Archived