RCI's Cruise Protection Plan

How do you protect your trip?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. How do you protect your trip?

• I use RCI's Cruise Protection Plan
    • I use another company for travel insurance
    • I do not use travel insurance
    • Other

We've used both--and never needed either! But, I do think it's better to use an independant company. Should your cruiseline go bankrupt or out of business suddenly (and that can happen!!!) the cruiseline's insurance won't be worth a hill of beans!

We have used both but recently discovered that cruiseline insurance is not considered PRIMARY and, for medical claims, you have to file with any other medical insurance you have first. It also does not appear to cover pre-existing conditions. No more CruiseCare insurance for us.

From Royal Caribbean CruiseCare policy

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...CruiseCare.pdf

Medical Expense/Emergency Assistance Benefits

We will pay this benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, for the following Covered Expenses incurred by you, subject to the following:

1) Covered Expenses will only be payable at the Usual and Customary level of payment;

2) Benefits will be payable only for Covered Expenses resulting from a Sickness that first manifests itself or an Injury that occurs while on a Covered Cruise Vacation;

3) benefits payable as a result of incurred Covered Expenses will only be paid after benefits have been paid under any Other Valid and Collectible Group Insurance in effect for you. We will pay that portion of Covered Expenses that exceeds the amount of benefits payable for such expenses under your Other Valid and Collectible Group Insurance.

We will advance payment to a Hospital, up to $1,000, if needed to secure your

medically necessary admission.

We have used both but recently discovered that cruiseline insurance is not considered PRIMARY and, for medical claims, you have to file with any other medical insurance you have first. It also does not appear to cover pre-existing conditions. No more CruiseCare insurance for us.

From Royal Caribbean CruiseCare policy

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...CruiseCare.pdf

Medical Expense/Emergency Assistance Benefits

We will pay this benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, for the following Covered Expenses incurred by you, subject to the following:

1) Covered Expenses will only be payable at the Usual and Customary level of payment;

2) Benefits will be payable only for Covered Expenses resulting from a Sickness that first manifests itself or an Injury that occurs while on a Covered Cruise Vacation;

3) benefits payable as a result of incurred Covered Expenses will only be paid after benefits have been paid under any Other Valid and Collectible Group Insurance in effect for you. We will pay that portion of Covered Expenses that exceeds the amount of benefits payable for such expenses under your Other Valid and Collectible Group Insurance.

We will advance payment to a Hospital, up to $1,000, if needed to secure your

medically necessary admission.

"This is important: Primary isn't better than Secondary coverage, even though it's sold as if it's better. The difference between them is the order which claims are paid." Please read this page http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/5/primary-secondary.shtml

We use CSA - the Freestyle Luxe policy. We book well in advance and I don't like to purchase my insurance that far out in case we cancel long before final payment. But I have pre-existing conditions to be concerned about and CSA Freestyle Luxe covers those if purchased within 24 hours of final payment.

We use CSA - the Freestyle Luxe policy. We book well in advance and I don't like to purchase my insurance that far out in case we cancel long before final payment. But I have pre-existing conditions to be concerned about and CSA Freestyle Luxe covers those if purchased within 24 hours of final payment.

I've also been looking at this policy, as DS & I have pre-exisiting conditions. Their office closed early tonight, so I couldn't find an answer to my question. On their website, when I enter all 4 of us, and all the other info requested, it brings up a price of approx $280 for the Freestyle Luxe policy. Is that pp or the is it the total cost for all of us together? Also, does it cover all pre-exisiting conditions - I read the certificate, but there was just a small paragraph regarding pre-ex conditions. TIA for any help to my questions!

I've also been looking at this policy, as DS & I have pre-existing conditions. Their office closed early tonight, so I couldn't find an answer to my question. On their website, when I enter all 4 of us, and all the other info requested, it brings up a price of approx $280 for the Freestyle Luxe policy. Is that pp or the is it the total cost for all of us together? Also, does it cover all pre-existing conditions - I read the certificate, but there was just a small paragraph regarding pre-ex conditions. TIA for any help to my questions!

Hi pediatric-rnp,

I'll help you find answers to your questions:

First, if you enter all four of you on the same quote, then the price you get is the total for all four of you together. However, the medical and emergency evacuation limits on a CSA Freestyle Luxe policy are per policy and not per person.

Next, you asked "does it cover all pre-existing conditions?". The only pre-existing conditions that will be covered are those that meet CSA's definition of medically stable. In addition, you have to purchase the CSA Freestyle Luxe policy no later than 24 hours after you make the last payment on the most expensive part of your trip.

I hope this helps. If not, ask here and I can give you more information.

Hi pediatric-rnp,

I'll help you find answers to your questions:

First, if you enter all four of you on the same quote, then the price you get is the total for all four of you together. However, the medical and emergency evacuation limits on a CSA Freestyle Luxe policy are per policy and not per person.

Next, you asked "does it cover all pre-existing conditions?". The only pre-existing conditions that will be covered are those that meet CSA's definition of medically stable. In addition, you have to purchase the CSA Freestyle Luxe policy no later than 24 hours after you make the last payment on the most expensive part of your trip.

I hope this helps. If not, ask here and I can give you more information.

Thanks, Steve. I really appreciate the help........I also just checked your profile and realized your website was the one I was looking at just a short time ago, with plans to call tomorrow. This has been very confusing to me. We've always had trip insurance, but this is the first trip with pre-ex conditions. We always just went with the AAA trip ins policy, but we booked this one on our own, and since final payment is due Monday, we need to make our decision this w/e!

I think that the poll is slightly flawed as I use both RC's and private insurance. It all depends on price. On our last cruise, RC's was cheaper and on our upcoming one, the insurance with our TA was cheaper. They both had similar coverage except that RC offers a cancel for any reason clause and you get credit for a future cruise. I really like that, but on our next, price won out.

For convenience we've always just used the RCL insurance offered. There's always the temptation to go without - but since we usually cruise in winter (snow up here in the Northeast!) or in August (hurricaines in the Caribbean!) we've always gone ahead and bought it. Never needed it until our most recent cruise this Feb where we didn't get luggage until Tuesday after leaving Miami on Saturday. The delayed baggage coverage came in really handy and the claims process had been painless and the claim representatives friendly and helpful.

:eek: That's news to me! So, does this mean that DH and I should buy our travel insurance packages separately?

:eek: That's news to me! So, does this mean that DH and I should buy our travel insurance packages separately?

Hi Sea Island Lady,

CSA's not the only company that does this. Of the ones I trust, HTH also has policy limits on medical and emergency evacuation.

I'll tell you how we determine if the co-travelers should be on separate policies:

- What are your ages? If someone is age 65 or older we suggest that they be on separate policies. The reason for that is because US residents have Medicare but Medicare doesn't cover outside the USA.

- Also if the person is a Canadian senior citizen, we suggest that they be on separate policies since socialized medicine in Canada typically doesn't cover the travelers outside Canada. Note: HTH isn't available to Canadians.

- Finally, if the person tells us their medical insurance doesn't cover them outside their area we also suggest that they be on separate policies with CSA and HTH.

CSA's pricing is a little bit funny, so two people on separate policies might cost more than both people on the same policy. On the other hand HTH uses per person pricing so there's no penalty to be on separate policies.

I hope this helps.

I just went back to look at a quote for my brother and sister-in-law (I had talked them through a purchase the other day). The CSA site says, "Requested Limits Per Person" and "The premium shown is a total for all travelers entered."

"Coverages shown are per person unless noted otherwise."

So, I am confused. :confused: It says coverages are per person unless otherwise noted. I don't see where anything is noted.

I did notice that their quote was a few dollars less when I had them together, versus the single that I purchased for myself (my DH is not going on this trip).

I just went back to look at a quote for my brother and sister-in-law (I had talked them through a purchase the other day). The CSA site says, "Requested Limits Per Person" and "The premium shown is a total for all travelers entered."

"Coverages shown are per person unless noted otherwise."

So, I am confused. :confused: It says coverages are per person unless otherwise noted. I don't see where anything is noted.

I did notice that their quote was a few dollars less when I had them together, versus the single that I purchased for myself (my DH is not going on this trip).

I just purchased our CSA Freestyle Luxe policy this AM thru tripinsurancestore.com and the medical evauation amount is per policy ($1,000,000), air flight accident is per policy ($200,000), and medical or dental expense is per policy ($250,000) as well as rental car damage is also per policy (50,000). Everything else was listed as individual and maximum. I'm happy with it, and relieved my decision has been made! We never had to deal with pre-existing conditions in the past, and it made it somewhat more worrisome to deal with this time.

I just purchased our CSA Freestyle Luxe policy this AM thru tripinsurancestore.com and the medical evauation amount is per policy ($1,000,000), air flight accident is per policy ($200,000), and medical or dental expense is per policy ($250,000) as well as rental car damage is also per policy (50,000). Everything else was listed as individual and maximum. I'm happy with it, and relieved my decision has been made! We never had to deal with pre-existing conditions in the past, and it made it somewhat more worrisome to deal with this time.

How did you know? I guess I have just missed the wording somewhere.

On the flip side, the chances are slim that a couple would BOTH need the medical and medical evacuation (knock on wood) at the same time. :eek: However, I wonder if I should let my brother make that decision. Perhaps he can pay those few extra dollars and split his package.

Archived