Apples vs seasickness?

BeachBaby82

Hmm, I would think a pure Unix system would work better. However, the advice is certainly better than using Vista.

Sorry, could not resist ("I can resist anything except temptation" -- Oscar Wilde)

To the question: Never heard of this one.

Paul

On our Hawaii roundtrip cruise in 2005 we experienced rough seas the first night out and our first experience with a queasy tummy. The nurse in the clinic said to eat slices of green apples - which we did and it helped. After that DH was never seen without a green apple in his possession.

I just wrote about this in another thread...I was on the GOS and we had not taken any meds, well mom got sick and I ran into someone from the gym as I was buying the meds for my mom on the ship. She said she eats one green apple a day and never has any sea sickness. You have to eat the skin though.

on one of their cruises that was stormy. Worked like a charm!

I used the patch on our first cruise w/ no issues. Second cruise I think I got some on my finger when I changed my patch midcruise, then got some on my eye....BAD, VERY BAD. Lost a day on that one. So went w/o for the last cruise. NO issues to speak of!:) It is said the more you cruise the less of an issue it is. That being said, my mom has only had seasickness on one of their later cruises, but it was a bad storm.

Caribbean during fair season you have very little chance. MX Riviera or hurricane season, good to be prepared!

I personally like ginger or try the bands. Prefer the non-medicinal approach these days!

In January we hit a cold front on the way back from Coz. and talk about people being sick (Me one of them!). Our waiter told me to drink apple juice and thats what the crew does to keep from getting sick.

So I will keep that in mind too, may begin to feel better quicker with the juice than with the real apple.:confused: I didn't try it so I can't tell you if it worked. I just wanted to get the H...E...double hockey sticks off that ship. lol

Green apples is what the crew uses alot of times when they get hit with a bout of seasickness. Also, I have to add in that ginger is supposed to be good also. Some people have found Ginger Altoids, there's also ginger pills and I saw some stuff on drugstore.com, a liquid stuff with ginger in it.

The good thing about these rememdies is they can work immediately and don't have to be in your system FIRST. I don't tend to get seasick, knock on wood, but one never knows. So on my next I'm going to get the ginger things, especially the liquid stuff I saw, to keep on hand.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't always get seasick, but its better to be safe than sorry!

This is true, and I like the idea of green apples or ginger because the 'medication' type things have to be in your sytem beforehand in order for them to work. Well, if you don't normally get seasick, you wouldn't take the medication, and if you didn't take the medication it won't help you WHEN/IF you get sick, because it wasn't in your system. As opposed to the natural type things, they'll work WHEN you feel sick.

Archived