Booking Timing question

Considering our first cruise, looking at the Grand Princess 14 Day Carribean Collection Mid Jan 09. When is the best time to book? From what I've read, this is the lowest cost time to take this cruise. I'm tied to the dates due to work committments so my question is what is the best time to book for best price. I know things get cheaper as they try to fill the ship but if I want a balcony should I be booking far in advance or waiting till the last minute,and if so when is the last minute? I will have to book flights as well so I want to maximize my savings. Thanks in advance!

I'm surprised that you are booking a 14 day cruise for your very first cruise. Most people just go with a 3, 4, or 5 day just to see if they enjoy cruiseing and can handle being on a ship that long.

But, if you insist,

I'd book now so that I could get that balcony cabin that you want. I'd also make sure I booked thru an agency who put in writing that they honor any price drop that may occur from the time of booking until sail date.

By booking now, you're also committed in a way. In your mind you're all set to go. You can start planning the air, the hotels, rental cars if required, etc.

For best cabin selection, book as early as you can! Many lines will give you any (or at least some) of the price reductions that come along. If you want to cruise, and are happy with the price now, just do it! If you wait, you risk not getting the room you want! (14 days is a long time to be in a crappy cabin!)

If your tied to work constraints and can't go last minute on a possible last minute bargain any other time, book now! Most likely at last minute, you'll pay more money for airfare and hotel anyway that will cut into your last minute savings.

Also, you'll get the pre-cruise schedule you prefer rather than just getting what's left and without the worry "will this particular cruise offer a last minute bargain or not"?

Thanks for the advice, it goes contrary to what I was expecting. and with a lot of good reasons, I guess I'm on the hunt for a good agent or booking agency now. As for the 14 days I'm having to fly in for the cruise so I felt if I'm gonna shell out for the airfare, I might as well go for the full 2 week vacation I have to work with. My GF and I have enjoyed sailing on sailboats both on the lake and the ocean so I expect I'll enjoy cruising too much, besides we like an adventure! We rode our motorcycles to Key West FL last summer on a 10000km 2.5 week adventure. Again thanks for the assistance. If it is not against the rules has anyone had good experience with CAA travels?

The Dawn offers a nice itinerary then.

The airfare to Florida will be more expensive last minute in winter for sure. Secondly, with a 14 day cruise the balconies most likely will go first for the simple reason people will not want the feeling of incubation for such a long trip. Lastly, expect an older crowd onboard due the fact it's a longer trip too.

Good luck on your booking and have a great time!

If you book now and the price goes down before final payment, you can call Princess or your TA and get the credit. It is important to stay on top of that as many of us have received reductions in fares when booked far out. I check my cruises at least once a week to keep on top of things.

The benefit to booking now is definitely the selection of rooms available. And you will be able to jump on the good flights early as the closer you get the higher the prices will go. Make sure you fly in at least one day if not two ahead coming from Canada. We always fly in one day early from here in Ohio as you just never know with the weather or the airlines and all their problems. If I was flying in January, I might even do two days early.

If you read through the boards, you will find many stories where people planned on flying in the day of the cruise and they missed the boat because of flight problems. Also, make sure to get trip insurance!

Good luck!

Archived