Coromandel, BOI or Hobbiton tour? Help!

farm girl

We arrive on March 31st, and we plan on taking it easy and doing some easy sights in Auckland. We may try to visit Devonport.

Day 2 is the problem. I can't decide. We love scenic trips and the beach. Should we do the Bay of Islands 12 hour trip, a day trip to Coromandel which includes a train ride or the Hobbiton day trip?

I want to make the best of the full day we have. There are so many tours to so many places, I can't decide. I have even thought of how to get to Poor Knights Island for the Perfect Day trip, but I can't find a tour that picks up in Auckland. We love mountains, birds, beaches, cute towns, quaint islands, whales, ect.

If we do the Coromandel trip should we take the ferry tour or do you think we would get more out of the land tour?

Or do you have another suggestion?

Any help is appreciated,

Thnak You,

Sharon

We arrive on March 31st, and we plan on taking it easy and doing some easy sights in Auckland. We may try to visit Devonport.

Day 2 is the problem. I can't decide. We love scenic trips and the beach. Should we do the Bay of Islands 12 hour trip, a day trip to Coromandel which includes a train ride or the Hobbiton day trip?

I want to make the best of the full day we have. There are so many tours to so many places, I can't decide. I have even thought of how to get to Poor Knights Island for the Perfect Day trip, but I can't find a tour that picks up in Auckland. We love mountains, birds, beaches, cute towns, quaint islands, whales, ect.

If we do the Coromandel trip should we take the ferry tour or do you think we would get more out of the land tour?

Or do you have another suggestion?

Any help is appreciated,

Thnak You,

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

We were just in New Zealand in January and used Auckland as our base for about a week. We went up to BOI, but did 2 overnights there. We found it to be a magical place and really enjoyed it. That said, though, it's a long trip to do for one day. It's about a 3 hour drive up and the same back. Our one day excursion -- while we were staying over in BOI -- was almost 12 hours, including the drive on 90 Mile Beach (actually only 64 miles long!), the sandboarding, the Kauri Forest, a great fish and chips stopoff. It was a wonderful day, but really exhausting ... and we didn't have the drive to or from Auckland on the same day!

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful trip -- the Kiwis are the friendliest, most helpful people we have ever met.

Looking at your interests, I would recommend a day on Waiheke Island, if the weather is good.

http://www.waihekeisland.co.nz

You can get there easily independently from Auckland, by ferry, and there are lots of beautiful walks through the countryside.

See "Are there beaches in Aus/NZ" thread.

BOI and Coromandels (Hot Water Beach) deserve more than a day visit, as you would spend too much of your day travelling to and fro.

Well, I agree with much of the earlier replies. I would say that the Bay of Island is absolutely beautiful! If you can flex your itinerary a bit, stay over night. Take a coach (bus) where you can sit and relax and leave the driving to someone else. Also, touring the islands from Paihia is awesome, especiall the Cream tour - going through the hole in the rock. There are various things to do, so it's a matter of picking what appeals to you the most.

Pinkie

I agree with Marion about Waiheke Island. It's a short ferry ride away from Auckland and for NZ $44 per person you get the Fuller's package of return trip ferry and all buses (including a super round-trip hop-on hop-off guided tour bus) on the island for the day. No need to buy it in advance -- the ferries run very frequently (I think once or twice an hour) and the ticket kiosks are right at the harbor. Beaches are lovely and there are even a couple of wineries on the bus route, to stop for lunch. Enjoy:D

Last year, we rented a campervan for 10 days pre-cruise. We drove the Coromandel (it was beautiful) and then down to Taupo and Rotorua.

We were advised to skip Hobbiton as it is quite overgrown and somewhat of a tourist trap. So, we did. We did get a kick out of a bus stop with graffiti on it saying, "Frodo Lives". What a hoot.

We did the caves in Waitomo (fabulous), went white water rafting in Taupo, and hiked the famous Tongariro Crossing Trail in Tongariro National Park.

This is a great way to explore the country. The campgrounds are immaculate and easy to find.

Don't try to see too much in one day. The roads are narrow and very windey (sp?). Plus, you would end up seeing the country through the windshield of a car. In New Zealand, you need to get outside, breathe the fresh air, experience the wonderful, friendly people and do something a little crazy.

The Black water rafting in Waitomo was one thing I would do again in a heartbeat. Incredible.

Hey Farm Girl,

We are taking a hobbiton day trip on the 2nd of April prior to boarding our ship. We were in NZ last year and did a full Lord of the Rings tour - it's great. Hobbiton is a lot of fun. I wouldn't say it's overgrown, It is well kept - of course it has had to be modified due to license requirements from New Line Cinema, but it's still a nice trip. The Alexander Farm is a beautiful place, the trip to Mata Mata is fun. We went and are going again with Red Carpet Tours - Vic and Raewyn are a riot. If you are a LOTR fan you'll love it there - even though it lacks the movie magic. Their tour also includes lunch and they'll drop you off at the pier if that's the day your ship leaves too!

Tracey & Jeff

Hello Vegasine,

We already have plans for the 2nd. A bunch of our friends are coming in that morning. Your tour sounded great and that is why I was trying to get some information. I have already changed my mind 10 times about what to do with our one entire free day. Every tour sounds wonderful to me. I am going to go rent Lord of the Rings and the Piano today. We leave this Saturday! My husband has been so busy that he has not been helpful until now and he is suggesting we go to Waiheke or Devanport on Monday and possibly do the ferry tour or bus tour to Coromandel on our full day which is Tuesday and do a few things around Auckland before our friends arrive on Wednesday. He wants to check in early and check out the ship and I want to put on my jogging/walking cloths and enjoy the pier area. We are not signing up early for tours in Auckland. We want to see how I do with jet lag. I have printed off a bunch of tours and we will check it out when we get there.

See you soon at our meeting place

Sharon Tisinger Farm GIrl

Archived