travel steamer ?

cruzisme

does HAL allow these on board (asking for my GF) who is on the Noordam in May/08?

this is not a travel iron, it is a steamer.

if there is a possibility of it being taken from her, she won't pack it with her.

anyone out there who knows for sure? thanks!:)

does HAL allow these on board (asking for my GF) who is on the Noordam in May/08?

this is not a travel iron, it is a steamer.

if there is a possibility of it being taken from her, she won't pack it with her.

anyone out there who knows for sure? thanks!:)

I have one that I travel with, on HAL. It is made by Eagle Creek and I've had it for years and years.

Travel steamers are expressly forbidden on HAL. When you board there will be a letter in your cabin advising you of several things. The pertinent paragraph reads:

Due to the potential fire hazard, travel irons, travel steamers, candles, incense, sparklers, electric water heaters (heating coils) and any other devices which have an open flame or generate high heat may not be used in your stateroom.

thank you for the replies! I was so happy with the first reply (yippee) then read the second reply (oh, how sad)

so, I guess my GF will not be taking her steamer on her HAL cruise.

thanks.

HAL's "S" and "R" class ships have self-service laundry rooms with irons and ironing boards. Unfortunately, Noordam (a magnificent ship) does not have laundry rooms. None of the Vista and soon to be Signature Class ships do.

The price of pressing is quite reasonable and if she needs to send out a few things to be ironed, the price would not be that high and what the 'hay'...... she's on vacation. Let someone else do the ironing!!

Travel steamers are expressly forbidden on HAL. When you board there will be a letter in your cabin advising you of several things. The pertinent paragraph reads:

Due to the potential fire hazard, travel irons, travel steamers, candles, incense, sparklers, electric water heaters (heating coils) and any other devices which have an open flame or generate high heat may not be used in your stateroom.

I am glad you posted this. Their "Know Before You Go" and the web site only lists travel irons, not steamers, and I have taken my steamer on three previous cruises and have never had it confiscated or questioned. Apparently their booklet and site don't match up to any printed documentation in the room, so that is new to me. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to leave my sparklers home too. Drat.

Yet, they will allow people to smoke... which is actually more of a fire hazard than any of the above mentioned items.

Got off the Westerdam last week.

Steamers are ok, but irons are not. The in-room safety video says irons will be confiscated. We left our steamer out each day and it was left alone. We had no in-room letter that said steamers were not allowed.

The ESteam was $65 from Amazon and worth it. Travelled and worked well/fast.

I have (on more than one cruise) seen the letter to which RuthC refers. Seems to be some inconsistency in this matter.

Have the ship press your clothes......enjoy your vacation. If you pack carefully with garments in dry cleaning bags, most of your things should be wrinkle free. Send out the few things that need a touch up and don't risk a fire. I love when folks say "Oh, I'll be really careful. I won't start a fire." I seriously doubt anyone purposely intended to start a fire with their overheated iron or whatever appliance. Everyone intended to be very careful. There is a reason for the rules.

JMHO.....

Travel steamers are expressly forbidden on HAL. When you board there will be a letter in your cabin advising you of several things.

Their "Know Before You Go" and the web site only lists travel irons, not steamers,

Got off the Westerdam last week. Steamers are ok, but irons are not.

What gets me is the inconsistency. If steamers aren't permitted, then that info should be included in the material provided PRE-cruise, especially when sailing on a Vista-class ship. And I'm not doubting you, Ruth, honest.

Yeah, I know I'm on va-cay, but I'm not trusting someone I don't know with my silk dress. That doesn't get ironed, it gets steamed. And it doesn't get a spray of that nasty Downey stuff. And no amount of dry cleaning bags are going to prevent it from wrinkling. Ooooh - guess I'll just buy something else that maybe won't wrinkle as much! :)

Susan.....

Try putting two dry cleaning bags on a hanger. Then hang your dress over the bags. Put two more over it and fold it only once if you need to fold it at all. I think you may be surprised you wrinkle free you can keep it. Hang it immediately and it is highly likely it will look lovely.

I've packed all sorts of silk and silk chiffons that way and they travel well.

Whatever......give it a try. Nothing to lose. ;)

Got off the Westerdam last week.

Steamers are ok, but irons are not. The in-room safety video says irons will be confiscated. We left our steamer out each day and it was left alone. We had no in-room letter that said steamers were not allowed..

I agree. I was also on the Westerdam recently and the notice in the ship's information book said nothing about steamers. I checked it specifically to see whether or not I would have to hide mine. ;)

I agree with Ruthc and others here, I just got off the Veendam and I had that letter in my cabin forbidding steamers as well as irons.

I also agree. the letters has been in our stateroom since our 12/06 Volendam cruise. If you pack correctly and use the downey wrinkle release, you won't need it anyway

I have (on more than one cruise) seen the letter to which RuthC refers. Seems to be some inconsistency in this matter.
HAL inconsistent? What a surprise! Sometimes it seems like they're running 13 independent cruise lines!

I wonder if there was a change in policy after the video was made, and for whatever reason the video was never updated. :confused: Certainly plausible.

In any case, people are going to do what they're going to do. Now they know to either look for the letter when they board, or avoid the letter if that's their desire.

We just got back from our cruise on the Zuiderdam. I took a travel steamer and we used it everyday.

I took it because they were not listed as not allowed. The letter in the room states they are not allowed for use but, all the videos and other information says they are. They all state use with care.

this is what my GF has decided to do.

she will press her stuff etc before boarding ie at her hotel and in the cabin, hang stuff up etc.

if they take the steamer away, she knows it will be returned at the end.

she also knows she can send stuff out for pressing.

Susan.....

Try putting two dry cleaning bags on a hanger. Then hang your dress over the bags. Put two more over it and fold it only once if you need to fold it at all. I think you may be surprised you wrinkle free you can keep it. Hang it immediately and it is highly likely it will look lovely.

I've packed all sorts of silk and silk chiffons that way and they travel well.

Whatever......give it a try. Nothing to lose. ;)

J - thanks much for this idea. Never thought of putting the bags under the dresses. We have a new hang-up luggage bag that is much sturdier than our previous one, so hopefully that will help, too.

I'd love not to take the steamer. I'm concerned about "making weight" for this E-dam cruise. The last 2 Noordam trips we arrived by bus, so we could basically bring whatever we wanted. Now I'm going to be counting & weighing shoes! :eek:

J - thanks much for this idea. Never thought of putting the bags under the dresses. We have a new hang-up luggage bag that is much sturdier than our previous one, so hopefully that will help, too.

I'd love not to take the steamer. I'm concerned about "making weight" for this E-dam cruise. The last 2 Noordam trips we arrived by bus, so we could basically bring whatever we wanted. Now I'm going to be counting & weighing shoes! :eek:

I'd need to own the dry cleaner to be using this method to keep my clothes wrinkle free. I'm not a light packer. Such a pain to have to worry about the weight. I've decided that I've going to have to pay for the second piece of luggage and that's it. Thank goodness that I haven't gone on the vista class ships so I don't have to worry about the ironing issue. I can use HAL's.

Archived