Are midnight buffets and lobster on 5 night cruises being dropped

Ok so let me get this straight. No Lobster unless you cruise more than 5 nights. No Gala/midnight buffet period. And formal is no longer formal. So a cruise is a waste. It is same as going to the beach in an overprice motel. These are the things that made cruising special. After all you can go to a resort and get all the other stuff and probably cheaper. Hello what gives.

I guess that if, for you, a cruise is eating a creature that in no way resembles what I grew up knowing a lobster to be, the gala midnight buffet, and getting all dressed up, then you are correct a cruise is a waste for you.

i agree...however

instead of removing the traditional midnight Gala buffet (entering at 12:30).

I suggest they remove all midnight buffets. If no one is attending...its a waste. but instead of just making a gala buffet tradition vanish completely, why don't they just alter how they go about it?

suggestion...

lose the final dinner night (or the night before the final night) and have the wonderful spread showing off their talents in the late afternoon. after it has been shown for a couple hours, Then, have the one gala buffett in its place at 6 & 9 pm? split the food up into 2 and have whats left from them go to the midnight dance party that evening. this seems to make sense to me.

i mean, if no one is going, they should ask them selves ...why? an adapt. rather than just make it vanish.

I would tend to think that for those folks who enjoy the dining room, sitting at "their" table with "their" table mates, and having "their" wait staff that they have become accustomed to during the course of the week, having their dinner routine interrupted like this would probably be very unacceptable.

I am also not quite sure that after food has sat around for a couple of hours in the afternoon that I'd much care to be eating it at 6 or 9PM with the remains ending up out by the pool at midnight.

I haven't gone on my first cruise yet, but I certainly think adaptation of some sort makes sense. Costs are going up, but people don't want less and less on their trips they save for all year.

How about a survey of what people would like to see? If you do away with lobster night and the midnight buffet, replace it with something else. But, don't take away another item besides, such as the last cruise night dinner. YOu are already taking away two other things, you know? That starts to come off as cheap, and I don't think it will have the desired effect.

Ok so let me get this straight. No Lobster unless you cruise more than 5 nights. No Gala/midnight buffet period. And formal is no longer formal. So a cruise is a waste. It is same as going to the beach in an overprice motel. These are the things that made cruising special. After all you can go to a resort and get all the other stuff and probably cheaper. Hello what gives.

The gala buffet and lobster may be gone but you still got the rock climbing wall.Who could live without that on a cruise ?

It is interesting I read this thread AFTER I just got off Splendour 3/9/08, 14 days, No lobster and no gala.

To clarify a bit, according to Head Waiter, they could not get "acceptable" lobster before the cruise. But now that I am reading this thread, I challenge the explanation offered. There was some sort of midnight buffet, but we missed it because the ONLY mention was a small line item in the Compass. Neither the CD or our wait staff mentioned it (and it used to be a huge deal that we announced days in advance). So I guess I would not call it a "Gala"

lobster has never been offered on cruises less than 7 days. Yes, the Gala buffet has been replaced with the midnight pool party

LOL I didnt know the difference. We had what must have been a Gala buffet, but I didnt want to eat heavy desserts so late.

I did wander past the pool buffet (different cruise) which also seems to be around the same time, but I went to Sorrentos and had pizza to avoid standing in line. I just wanted a bite.

Makes no dif to me which they have. Inside or outside by the pool, its a midnight buffet with lots of food and lots of pretty carved ice.

We were on a 9 night Explorer in January. The was NO Gala buffet and NO lobster night. Traditional lobsters have been replaced with a Fisherman's platter. You get one small lobster tail, some small shrimp and I think something else. The quality of the seafood left a lot to be desired.

If I remember correctly, 7 day and longer cruises had the "gala" buffet, and 4, 5 and 6 night cruises had the midnight chocolate buffet, or something like that. But I have noticed that the poolside parties are a little more stepped up with big fruit displays and ice sculptures.

Archived