Renaissance Chancery Hotel in London

Have any of you stayed in this hotel? We have one night there post-cruise this summer, and I wonder if anyone could recommend a pub or restaurant that you've enjoyed in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I've just learned that all the theaters are dark on Sunday so we're not sure how we want to spend our evening. Thanks for any advice.

We stayed there for three nights several years ago and loved it. They have put a lot into renovations and spared no expense.

The "Pearl" in the hotel was a bit pricey and we found a nice restaurant that was much more reasonable across the street, "Café Pasta" at 96 High Holborn street. Many other pubs within short walking distance - and you're not far from the British Museum, if that interests you.....

Lynn, I will also be staying there after our Norway cruise that you are also on. I stayed there last year for one night prior to the Transatlantic crossing. It's a great hotel. We had dinner at Rules near Covent Garden. It was excellent but very pricey. We might go there again.

Nancy

... I wonder if anyone could recommend a pub or restaurant that you've enjoyed in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I've just learned that all the theaters are dark on Sunday ...
Actually, not all theatres are dark on Sunday any more, but many of them that are not will do only a matinee show on Sunday rather than an evening show. So it will repay having a look at the shows you're interested in.

The hotel is less than 5 minutes walk to the edge of the Covent Garden area. This is one of the busiest central areas of London, and within this area there are literally hundreds of restaurants - including good, bad and indifferent ones at all price levels.

Stayed at the Chauncery 3 nights pre-cruise last August and loved it.

Short walk to Somerset House, British Museum and only a block or two to Sir John Soane's Museum which was amazing, quirky & my favorite of all we did.

We loved wandering Covent Gardens....also close by.

We were there in August and really enjoyed the area. I will heartily second the reccomendation of Cafe Pasta! We ate there sevearl times (also at its sister restaurant next door) and enjoyed everything we tried - and the prices weren't horrific either.

Hmm, I would definitely check out the theaters as we caught three shows while we were there and I'm thinking that at least one show had to be on a Sunday. Traditionally (at least in the US), theaters are closed on a Monday and have a matinee on Sundays.

If you want to save yourself some serious money, take the tube to Leicester Square. When you get to street level, there is a box office selling tickets at a substanial savings. if you aren't particular about what show you see or where you're sitting, you can really score some fairly inexpensive seats. if you want a particular show, call the theater directly and you will get the better seats. Do be aware that all sales are final and you will be charged for the tickets whether you are there or not (can you tell I work in a theater box office?) Also be aware that the theaters are very old, the seating is very tight and there is often no air conditioning, especially in the smaller/older theaters.

Charlie

Thanks for all your wonerful advice! Nancygp, I'm looking forward to seeing you on our Norway cruise -- it will be wonderful, I know. As to theaters, do any of you know any of them that do have Sunday matinees? Or maybe a better question is whether any of you have a favorite website for London Theater? I've tried researching, and there are so many, and so many plays and musicals that we'd love to see again, that I find the task of finding Sunday matinees rather daunting.

It might be easier to decide upon a show first. What do you prefer? Musicals, drama, comedies? Do you want to see something new? A revival? I would go for the show first and then bring the theater up to see if there are any matinees. We did "Wicked", "Spamalot" and, of course, "The Mousetrap" - the quintessential British play. If you haven't seen "Avenue Q" that is really a hoot, but you need to go with an open mind. "Jersey Boys" knocked our socks off (and that's hard to do with all the theater we've seen). We really loved "Spelling Bee", but it's not for young children. "Boeing, Boeing" - if it's still playing was pretty frantic, but not as good as Ray Cooney.

If you drop me an e mail at charliekirby at comcast dot net, I would be more than happy to help you navigate the field.

Charlie

Archived