Cruising at Christmas

atlantacarrie

we have cruised christmas on NCL and Princess as well as Disney and they always have special events and a service, I would think Carnival would be the same. One weird thing is the menu (at least on the other lines) is always pumpkin themed which I relate more to thanksgiving...

We are taking the Legend for Christmas and am wondering if there are any special activities that they do for the Holiday time? Is there a chapel onboard that will do a Christmas morning service? Thanks for any information you can give.

I did it last year on the Miracle. We went for 9 days over Christmas/ New Years. We got on the ship Christmas Eve. I would not do it again over Christmas. The meal was nothing special. It no way felt like Christmas. New Years is a great time to sail, but Christmas is not for me.

We have sailed twice at Christmas. We loved it. The kids get to take part in the Christmas show, sing songs and dance on stage with the performers. Then santa gives them all presents. I also loved the buffet, they had cheese and chocolate carvings of the manger scene. Very impressive. It made Christmas very enjoyable and stressfree. I am not sure about the services though, we debarked on Christmas day.

In your original post, you asked specifically about Church services. If--for whatever reason--the ship has none, ask the Purser's Desk how/where you could celebrate on Belize itself.

We were on the Miracle at Christmas 2004. Carnival had brought a retired Father on board. He was a very nice fellow and made a point of talking to people all over the ship. He conducted a non-denominational Christmas Day service, mostly Christmas songs. I also believe he held a "Catholic" service with communion.

The highlight was the Christmas Day show put on by the kids in Camp Carnival and entertainment staff. It was fantastic and my kids loved being in the show. The Captain got up and brought in several hundred members of the crew from all nations, they all came in and sang Silent Night with the passengers. I felt sorry for the crew, being away from home. There were some tears as we all shared that song together.

We had been in Belize on Christmas Eve, and there weren't any special activities. The show was done during the afternoon on Christmas Day.

The Christmas decorations on the ship go up on the cruise before Thanksgiving. They are very professional and very nice.

I was originally worried about taking our children and grandchildren on a cruise over Christmas, not sure that they wanted to be away from home but they are still talking about the cruise and said it was the best gift ever. Champagne was served when you boarded at no cost. The ship was beautifully decorated and My grandchildren were paid a visit from Santa and everyone recieved a small gift on Christmas Day that they could use in Port (money). We did have the best time and I find myself looking at the pictures often. The only thing that I felt was a little off was the taking of pictures. Everyone wants to have pictures when cruising at Christmas and it could have been set up and organized better especially since there are so many little ones on the cruise. Enjoy and have a great time.

I sailed at Christmas with my mom & dad on the Glory. It was different but exactly the type of Christmas we were looking for. We were away from the snow and the craziness in the stores and mom's biggest treat was she didn't have to do any Chrismas baking or cook Christmas dinner. It really didn't seem like Christmas but it was my sister's year to be at the in-laws with my nieces so would have been pretty quiet at home anyway. They came down and met us at Disney after the cruise.

There were a lot of extended families with kids, I suppose they probably made it more Christmassy for themselves. I brought some decorations for our cabins. The lobby area was decorated and there was Christmas music over the PA system the whole week. Santa was around and there was a carol sing on Christmas eve in the lobby, that was nice. There was also a Christmas show put on by the kids Christams night, we didn't attend.

We were served numerous glasses of champagne upon boarding and there was eggnog available in the drink fountain on the lido deck. There was a "special" menu on Christmas day with turkey or filet mignon as a couple of the choices.

There was a "prayer time" at 7:00 a.m. listed in the capers everyday but it was not "hosted" and there was no special service on Christmas day that I saw. I think that only happens if there happens to be priest or reverand on board for the sailing.

I'd certainly sail at Christmas again, though I might choose a smaller ship like the Legend. And no way would I go to Disney again over the holidays! Though, we knew it was going to be bad and it was.

I've thought and tried to cruise during christmas and found that MANY excursions aren't available (through carnival and through whatever island you're visting) because it's christmas.

Have a great cruise and don't expect many excursions!

We have cruised Christmas twice LOVE IT! Santa does show up and gave small gifts to kids. If you havge little kids sometimes santa knows your away and puts gifts at home.

Yes to services. The turkey meal true is way better cooked at home but,

being from New England seeing the sun and being warm can't beat it. Plus as adults that is Christmas no other gifts to buy no tree to put up.

Woo Hoo!! Thank you all so much for the information about Christmas onboard. We are excited that Santa will be there - even though my daughter will be 9. I am just thrilled that nobody will have to cook, serve, clean-up, etc. I plan on laying on the beach in Belize ALL DAY LONG and doing NOTHING - can't wait.

DH and I have sailed X-mas week several times, on NCL, HAL and Carnival, but only because we don't have to take as many vacation days (we get 2 days off already with X-mas Eve and X-mas Day). The upside is the ships look pretty because of all the holiday decorations and there is a very festive mood aboard. The downside is the cost, which seems to be about twice the normal cost we pay for a balcony cabin, and there are tons of kids on board. We tried HAL one X-mas thinking there wouldn't be as many kids, but there were lots. The Glory last X-mas was very pleasant and the kids weren't too bad until the last full day when there was alot of running down the halls and pressing every number on the elevators and then jumping out.

We have also sailed on the week of Thanksgiving, but have not had the traditional holiday dinner they serve nor on X-mas day either. We figure they could never measure up to our mother's holiday dinners, so we just eat something different on the menus.

As you see below, we are booked again on the Glory for X-mas week this year, too, so it must be okay:D

We were on the Carnival Spirit for Christmas several years ago. Our cruise returned on Christmas Day so the service was at mid-night in the chapel. There was a Christmas show and Santa did come for the kids. The ship was decorated nicely in the public areas. There were a lot of kids but as previously posted it wasn't bad until the second straight sea day.

I would definitely cruise again over Christmas.

We cruised during Christmas 5 years ago on the Fascination. The late night buffet on Christmas Day featured a huge ice sculpture of Santa and his sleigh. Another table had an assortment of holiday cookies.

We sail almost every Christmas, and there seems like there are plenty of "Christmas" activities around- including Santa. As for ports not offering excursions if that port falls on Christmas day - well, we have never had that problem. Money is money, and the 95% of the port is opened, (we hit a couple of stores closed last year - not many) and the excursions seem go on, Christmas or not. All the families on board seemed to love being on a cruise ship at that time, (as we do) and we enjoyed watching and being part of the holiday cheer of that season.

Archived