Where do the Locals go?

Since this will be our first visit to the vancouver island and Victoria (celebrating 35 years of marriage) I want to make this trip very special. We will be flying into Victoria, and staying in Sidney for three days and will have a rental car.

Where do the locals go for good times, entertainment, food etc.?

One restaurant I enjoy is the Fifth Street Grill. If you're coming in from Sidney, turn left at Hillside. Next cross street is Quadra and the Fifth Street Grill is the next block on the left. There's parking in back. They have good food and items are either $5, $10, $15 or $20 (last 2 prices usually for dinner).

The Empress Hotel (Fairmont Empress) is the 'jewel in the crown' of Victoria, for style, character, history,setting & atmosphere. Dinner at the Empress Room dining room is pricey but wonderful for a special occasion. The Bengal Lounge is also great if you like Indian food served in the style & surroundings of the old British Raj.

Graham.

A few suggestions:

Buy an Entertainment book for Vancouver Island. Right now, they are heavily

discounted and good until end of October.

2 of my favourites, both in the book are :-

Bengal Lounge in the Empress Hotel for curry buffet at lunch.

Camille's in Bastion Square - fine dining in romantic surroundings with fair pricing.

The menu features many local products.

Since you will be in Sidney, Bistro Suisse on Beacon Avenue has become a well-liked local favourite with great food and service.

Another possibility in Victoria is Canoe Brew Pub, with in-house brewed beers and ales. Also in the Entertainment book.

Whatever your tastes, there are lots to choose from. Enjoy your anniversary

visit.

Victoria has lots of bars done on up the English Pub theme. One of my favourites is the Sticky Wicket in the Strathcona Hotel on Douglas St. downtown. They also serve up pretty decent fish & chips if you need some grease to go with the carbs .... oh heck you are on vacation.

http://www.strathconahotel.com/

Thanks for all the helpful information. What a great idea about the entertainment book. They are on sale right now for 1/2 off $15 and I'm sure this will save me money even if we are only staying for three days.

What month will you be there?

if you're looking for what the locals do.. the ferry to sidney island leaves from the foot of beacon ave in sidney & takes you to an island park nearby - lovely walks & beaches if the weather is nice. If you like the west coast wilderness - then a drive out to the western communities & a walk down to China Beach is fabulous...you can see the rollers coming in off the Pacific.

fish on fifth in sidney has excellent fish & chips & great salads!

& the locals really do go to Butchart Gardens as well as the many parks around Sidney & the Saanich Peninsula & around Vancouver.

We are flying in to Victoria on June 6th and departing June 9th and staying in Sidney. I'm sure the ferry schedules are easy to find once we get there, but any idea on the cost for a roundtrip day trip?

Sidney Spit Ferry info here:

http://www.alpinemarineadventurecentre.ca/ferries.htm

You can get a picnic lunch made up at several places in Sidney -

Fairway Market, Thrifty Foods, Safeway or one of several delis.

(Cold Beer and Wine store near the ferry dock - uses discreet brown paper

bags. Bring your own opener/corkscrew)

Here is some info on the park itself:

http://www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=453

The herald street cafe is also a very good choice without being too expensive

It has been closed for awhile now

Oak Bay Marina has a nice restaurant in Oak Bay

Love the Bengal Lounge in Empress (as well as the fine dining restaurant) Pags is good for noisy good casual food (In 25 years I have never gotten away from the meatballs and marina sauce, they are just that good)

Irish Times pub is surprisely good given that it is smack dap in the middle of Government str (really touristy area BUT very nice :)

Deep Cove Chalet just outside of Sidney is very very nice :)

The Latch is Sidney is also very good as is the Pier.

Beacon Landing at the bottom of Beacon Ave in Sidney, very good food but way more casual...I LOVE Fish on Fifth and eat there at least once a week YUM :)

Hi -

I second the recommendation for "Fish on Fifth" in Sidney.

However, the best fish 'n chips in town is at "Red Fish, Blue Fish" in the Inner Harbour. Have the halibut and sit outside on the pier - delicious.

Pagliacci's is fantastic.

Spinnaker's is also really great.

Not a fan of the "Sticky Wicket" - Too many drunks and we have been very disappointed in the food lately - Go to Bartholemew's instead.

As for the Empress - go and look around (for sure) but the food is overpriced. The James Bay Tea House is a great place for High Tea.

Enjoy Victoria - It's a great place to visit and an even better place to live.

Archived