Is passport needed for shore exc. in Mexico??

crystalh256

I know that right now it is not required to get back into the States form Sea or land, but I need to know if it is needed to go ashore in Mexico. I hate to get one since I will probably not be used again before it would have to be renewed. Thanks!!

You don't need a passport, but when we went ashore in Cabo San Lucas, we were told to have a photo ID in addition to our SeaPass. It was checked by Mexican authorities before we were allowed onto the pier to re-board the ship. That was only in Cabo...maybe since that was the first shore stop. A driver's license would be OK for that.

While you may not need a passport while on land in Mexicao or coming back into the US from sea right now, I always bring mine when I get off the ship in a foreign country. In the event of a problem or you miss the ship and have to fly back to the US from a foreign country, you need a passport for that. Better safe than sorry.

You do not need a passport to enter any of the Caribbean ports if you are a cruise passenger. The passport is only for the States! Since they aren't yet required, even if you HAD to fly home, you could--they have procedures in place, just in case!

You don't need a passport to get off the ship. In fact it is recommended that you not take your passport with you when leaving the ship. They do recommend that you carry some other form of picture ID, like a drivers license.

The following is an excert from the US Department of State website concerning re-entry requirements for land and sea travel. So if your ship stops in Mexico, it seems you don't need a paassport but you do need more than a drivers license. I am a Canadian so I need a passport.

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    As early as June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Archived