Question About Mediterranean Ports

JoanieBlon

My husband and I will be going on a cruise on the NCL Jade in November 2008. I started a roll call thread for this cruise.

I've had a question posted in that roll call thread about ports we will visit, and haven't had any luck in locating the information I need regarding them.

I know that the cruise ship port in Barcelona is basically located right at the end of Las Ramblas in the city.

Can anyone provide information about our ports for this cruise ~ whether or not you could just walk off the ship and into the city or town, whether tendering was required, or if the ship docked, but a taxi or a long walk was required to get to any place worth seeing (basically docked in a commercial area).

Thanks in advance :) for ANY information you can provide on these ports:

Malaga Spain:

Casablanca Morocco:

Agadir Morocco:

Lanzarote (Arrecife) Canary Islands:

Las Palmas Canary Islands:

Lisbon Portugal:

Cadiz (Seville) Spain:

Gibraltar:

Palma (Mallorca) Spain:

We have only been to two of the ports you list. Note it has been 12 years, so memory may be a little fuzzy.

Lisbon - 20 minute or so walk thru so so area to town.

Gibraltar - 5 minutes walk thru the pier area (seemed safe as we walked thru) to begining of town. Another 20 or 30 minutes to top of rock.

We have only been to two of the ports you list. Note it has been 12 years, so memory may be a little fuzzy.

Lisbon - 20 minute or so walk thru so so area to town.

Gibraltar - 5 minutes walk thru the pier area (seemed safe as we walked thru) to begining of town. Another 20 or 30 minutes to top of rock.

Paul ~ Thanks for your feedback.....:)

You may have more luck if you look in the Ports of Call section. One of our favorite things to do is a self-guided historical walking tour, stopping at muesums, religious sites, interesting architecture, and shops along the way.

Casablanca: We negotiated with a cab driver when we got off the ship and went to the Hassan II Mosque (great guided tour inside), the Museum of Moroccan Judaism, a driving tour of the city, and the Medina.

Lisbon: We spent two days there after a cruise, which wasn't enough time. The trolley out to Belem, seeing the Monastery, Discover Monument, and having one of their famous pastries was lots of fun.

Cadiz (Seville): Our cruise stopped there for two days. One day, we took the train to Jerez, which was great--the museum and show at the Royal Horse place, stopping in at sherry bodegas for tours and tasting, historical walking tour. The second day, we did a walking tour.

Gibraltar: We negotited with a cab drive to take us on the extended tour I had read about on the Gibraltar tourism web site. It lasted about four hours, took in all the sights up the Rock, and left us time to wander around town and shop a little.

Palma de Mallorca: We took a city bus into town, caught the end of mass at the fabulous Gothic cathedral, did another historical walking tour. There is also a hop on/hop off Bus Touristic.

Hello,

The dock in Malaga, Spain is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the Picasso Museum complex but it is a nice walk. if you are in good physical condition you can walk up to the top of the hill in Malaga for some great views of the city including the bull ring. From there you can take a city bus down to close to the pier.

DO NOT MISS the Cathedral in Malaga as it is a beautiful and interesting Catholic church. This church is about 15 minutes from the Picasso Museum.

Malaga can be seen on foot, as it is a very pleasant city.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I suggest that you double check the port location for Barcelona. We've cruised out of there a few times & would never have been able to walk to Las Ramblas. I'd hate to see to you get halfway there & decide you needed a cab.

I suggest that you double check the port location for Barcelona. We've cruised out of there a few times & would never have been able to walk to Las Ramblas. I'd hate to see to you get halfway there & decide you needed a cab.

I agree, the port of Barcelona, use to be within walking distance of the La Rambles. It has been expanded extensively. You will need a taxi or somemtimes ships offer a shuttle bus for a fee of $10 per person.

Malaga, is another port that is a challenge to simply walk to the entrance, some distance, again taxi or shuttle.

just got back from a similar cruise

Barcelona-there is a Blue port shuttle bus that will take you to the bottom of La Rambles for 2 euros.

Casablanca Morocco-You Can walk from the dock to the main market in 20 mins

Lanzarote (Arrecife) Canary Islands-The cruise line usually supply a shuttle bus to Arrecife( we paid 10 euros return)

Malaga Spain-You can walk to the promenade in 10 minutes,but if you want to see Malaga take a tour.

If you need any more information just ask.

We been there many times. You can get off the ship and walk to Las Rambas. There is no tender needed. This area is great and very safe. I f you see a tour for Monserate take it, It was the best tour we ever done in that area.

Archived