What is a reasonable price to pay for travel insurance?

becky48417

It sounds like your TA is quoting you Carnival's insurance prices. You can ask the TA to quote other insurance instead of Carnivals, or decline Carnival's insurance and find your own. Most TA should/do have other insurance options.

On our soon 7 day cruise, your insurance is 49.00 for adults and 39.00 for the other passangers.

Good luck.

statravel.com is 48$ per person for adults, not sure if they have lower rates for kids. They are a student travel site but insure anyone. They have a comprehensive policy and I had to make a claim and the paid quickly.

For our 1st cruise, we didn't know any better and got it thru Carnival and it was over $600 for a family of 8!!!

After reading these posts at CruiseCritics, we have our insurance thru Access America for our cruise in April and this time for a family of 8 it was only approx $180 for all of us (sorry, don't have paperwork in front of me for exact cost but this is close)!!

Definitely shop around...when my TA talked about insurance this time, I mentioned going w/Access America and she was like "oh, we can offer you that also" and believe me, I love my TA, but you can't blame them as they probably get great commission for selling Carnival's insurance!!:)

We got ours through Carnival for a 5 night cruise and it was $118 total for both of us which is ummm $59 each? Seemed reasonable to us. It may be that we don't have really high amounts in case something happens. I don't know. We were most concerned with the trip cancellation part of it though.

It's not just the cost of the policy that is important but everyone needs to pay close attention to what you are paying for. Every policy is a bit different and in what and when they will reimburse you for delay, interruption, or cancellation. As an example, some policies say after a 3 hour flight delay, others say after a 6 hour flight delay while others may require even longer before there's any reimbursement. Policies pay different amounts for delay expenses. Some require as much as a 24 hour total shut down of services of your airline for weather or mechanical problems before they will pay for interruption and/or cancelation. There are different dollar amounts for medical expenses that they will pay. Just make sure you know what you are paying for before you purchase any insurance so there are no surprises if you need to actually use it !!

We paid $508.00 for both of us through Access America.

We get the high medical evacuation deal, because I have a medical condition that could require that.

We have seen at least 3 helicopter evacuations, one of which was just a fall. We think it's worth it.

Pat

iman i wish i would have read this before hand my cruise in in a week do you know if i can get a refund on my insurance and get another one thanks

you should have a period of time to look at policey and cancel with out cost.I was not sure of what to do so i ask alot of questions when i called different companies.

I ALWAYS buy insurance. 9never leave home without it) Had to cancel cruise in May '06 due to hubby's back going out. Got all the $$ back! (except $ pd out for ins. policy)

I use Access or Travel Guard. (AIG is another) I believe I pay in the neighborhood of $68 each for 7 day cruise.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

We used Access America for our Disney Cruise last year and THANK GOD we did! I think Disney wanted around $250 for our 4 night cruise and we paid around $60 for a family of 4. My son ended up getting quarantined to the room and Access America (with our documentation from the ship's dr) reimbursed our ENTIRE trip within a week of getting home with no questions asked! I will never go w/o it!

I just got quoted $38 for basic coverage through them for our upcoming 4 night cruise for me and my husband.

If you someone other than the cruise line. How hard is it to get your $$ back for something? Do you have to pay and turn the claim over to the insurance company? This could be a major factor in deciding going with someone other than the cruise line for your insurance. I have read a trip to the ship doctor cost as much as $800 that would kill my budget for my trip if I had to pay upfront. I hope I NEVER:) have to use any type of travel insurance.

Mike

We have used insuremytrip.com quite a few times. Children under a certain age are free. It will depend on how much your total cruise and airplane tickets cost, but for us, we have never paid more that 200. total for 11 days.

We use travelex travel lite.

I am planning on researching insurance in depth before I book our next cruises. In the past the insurance has always seemed reasonable but this time the cost was a bit rediculous IMO. I wasn't paying attention since we had the insurance coverage when we booked then later added the pre-cruise hotel and airfare on. I was looking at our final payment confirmation and saw that we had paid $249 EACH for insurance on our upcoming Liberty cruise. It just seems like a hefty chunk of change. Our TA got our coverage through Access America as he has in the past.

One important thing to look at with travel insurance is whether it's primary or secondary coverage. With primary coverage, the travel insurance policy covers your first. With secondary, you first have to go through your regular health insurance or homeowner's/renter's policy to see if they'll cover you. And you need to provide a denial of coverage from them to get the travel insurance to pay out.

I have an extreme aversion to red tape so this is important to me.

For our first cruise, my gf and I got really extensive primary coverage for about $120 total ($60 each). We used insuremytrip to shop and then bought directly from AIG Travel guard.

OK, here is my experience with travel insurance for those of you who are wondering about a trip to the ship doctor and other expenses.

Last year my 3 yr old grandson was sick with a cough/cold and saw the ship doctor. The charge was $150 which included antibiotics and was put on the shipboard account. On the same trip one of my suitcases was totally smashed and the structure of it ruined and I had to throw it away when we got home. We submitted a claim to the travel insurance (which I bought from insuremytrip.com) and in 2 weeks I received a check for $100 for the luggage and my daughter-in-law received a check for $150 for the dr visit.

The policy I had purchased was much less expensive than what the cruise line was selling and well worth the money.

Archived