New Cruisers

mzcyberella

Hi, my husband and I are going on our 10th wedding anniversary on the RCCL Voyager, January 8, 2005!! We're real excited. Got lots of questions, though. How should I pack for a 7 day cruise? (I'm already packed, but I can make some changes ;)) . What are the drinks like on the RCCL ships - I plan to have many drinks and take advantage of my husband, Billy. Are they expensive? Can we take walkie talkies so that we can keep up with each other? Also, does it really pay to take the excursions? We want to see as much as we can on our 1st cruise.

As far as packing goes, always pack more than one swimsuit because you do lots of that aboard the ship. And nothings worse than a wet, cold swimsuit.:eek: I always bring a night light when I have an inside cabin because it is darker than dark in those cabins. And the bathroom light is just too much and lights up the whole cabin. There is only one plug in, so a plug in strip is helplful if you're like me and use curling irons, hairdryer, etc. all at once. Since this is a January excursion, I would pack a light weight windbreaker or jacket for those cool evening breezes.

The drinks can add up, but if you stick to the drink of the day, which is cheaper, it isn't too bad. Just get a normal drink in a normal cup, the souvenir cups are quite expensive. ;)

The cruise ship will offer two way radios or walkie talkies for rental. Bringing your own will be cheaper. Ours always comes in handy.

As far as excursions go, we used to book ours through the ship because we felt safer, but our pocketbook always took a huge hit.:eek: So we started checking out the ports of call section here at Cruise Critic to see if anyone had any private excursion recommendations for the ports we were visiting. There are tons of recommendations and rave reviews of local tour companies that will pick you up at the dock and return you to the dock after your excursion. And these companies do the same excursions as the ship at about half of the price. I started booking excursions this way and will never go back to booking through the ship. The ship's excursions tended to have very large crowds with little personal attention. But the private excursions are usually much smaller and more personalized. :) Or at least that has been our experiences with the whole excursion dilemma.

Have you truly packed for your January excursion? Boy, you must be really excited!

Congratulations on your anniversary.

You should pack lightly. You probably need 1/2 the clothes you think you need, but 2 bathing suits is a good idea.

You can bring your own walkie talkies. They should work on board but your cell phones may not. Also pack post-its & a highlighter.

One of the best tips we got was to pack or buy an insulated mug. If you are sitting on deck & want a non-alcoholic included drink (water, iced tea, etc.) you can fill this up at the self-serve areas & not have to get up as much.

Alcoholic drinks average about $5 each. One souviener glass is cute -- more than that gets silly & expensive. The bartenders will re-fill your original glass.

With respect to excursions, it depends on you. If you are unfamiliar w/ the country, don't speak the language & don't plan well, take a ship's excursion. You pay a premium for it, but it's all done for you & the ship will not leave w/o you. If you are more adventurous & plan well, check out the boards & the islands' tourist sites. You may find stuff cheaper. There are usually tourist kiosks near every port so you can book some things right at the dock when you get off the ship. Some times you can get a good cabbie to give you a mini tour; there will also be ship's personnel at the port to help guide you.

Remember if you are flying you will be allowed two suitcases that weigh less then 50 pounds each. One carryon- This is most of the airlines.

(if packing now wont your clothes be wrinkled?)

There will be 2 formal nights.

Here is our web page of the VOyager- everyhting you may want is here. Menus for the dining room- menus from Bars/lounges. Even pics of food.

http://joephila.net/cruise/

We depart 2 weeks from Sunday on Princess--our 1st cruise. Had originally planned on booking RCI, but it sold out cheap cabins 2 days before I was going to book!

My mom had cruised many times, so she has good advice.

Sometimes they do excursion, sometimes, no. We are in Jamaica since it isn't always the safest place. Plan to wing it in Cozumel and Gr. Cayman (if we go there...).If there is something you REALLY want to do, do the excursion.

Mom said drink of the day is way to go. Also look for wine/martini tastings. Mom said she had 5 small martinis for $5-10 and was set for the day!

I am taking 6 dresses--2 very dressy cocktail dresses, 4 nice club-time dresses; shorts/tanks for day, workout gear, swimsuit. Looks like too many shoes, especially dressy. I rarely dress up like this at home (not much call as teachers), so intend to take advantage!

Will post our experiences---looking forward to it!

Happy Anniversary!

Kristin

Only bad part--leaving kids for TEN days....but 5 days each w/ grandmas should be a blast for them!

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions & advice. I'm leaving the grands @ home with their mom, & I'll worry about them when I get back to Indiana:D . Yes, I know, I've probably wrinkled up everything, but December, we'll go thru the luggage & sort out what we're not taking, and I'll freshen them up (got nothing to do but wait, you know a domestic goddess' description). I try not to get too excited - I look @ the couples who are going on their 1st cruise that are leaving before us. All the messages I read help me to get things in the right perspective. Keep leaving me messages, okay?:rolleyes: .

If you find a bar or bartender you really like take care of him early and he will make the drinks perfect and take good care of you. They are about 5 bucks a piece or so, with the drink of the day a little cheaper. I second the vote for 2 bathing suits, they will never dry enough in time for you to use it again right away so you will alternate. Excursions depend on your level of comfort. If you want to wing it go on your own, if you want to be secure use the ship. These are usually the best way to see the sites as well. Pack for comfort. It will be warm there. have a great time.

mzcyberella-

Cngratulations for beating the statistics!!

My hubby and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary with a cruise January 16, 2005. When is your actual "Big Day"? Ours is January 29, 2005. This is our first cruise and I also paid for my parents to go (also their first cruise) to celebrate their 30th which they celebrated July 20, 2004. I am so excited and keep bugging everyone about what to pack, where to go, etc. We are sailing on the the Elation and going to Progresso, Cozumel, Belize. I have an excursion already booked for Belize through an outside company per the recommendations of our fellow CCers. I am undecided for Progresso, and am beach bumming in Cozumel at Paradise Beach. I am not packed yet, but I have bought all my little things except for cameras and Bonine for sea sickness. Hope you enjoy your cruise! Please post a review when you get back to share your adventures!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nicole, mine is January 9th, we'll spend a day in Miami (another 1st!!), and then we sail on the the 8th. Going early so that we don't miss our ship, u don't know about snow there in TX - but we did get the insurance. Got my cameras ready, charged & we even looked into walkie talkies when we get separated from each other on the ship. I'm not so old as not to buy sexy lingerie, got 3 new evening gowns, but I'm only taking 2. Got a problem though, my husband has a pair of Stacy Adams tassled shoes, and he wants to wear them with his tux.:eek: He's bassman125, and gentlemen (ladies also), please post him a message as to the ettiquette of wearing a tux and shoes. If it's OK, let him know - if not, PLEEEEASE let him know:cool: . I'm going to take LOTS of pixs, and I will let u know just how much fun I had:p .

Tell your hubby that if he wears his tassles you can't wear yours- ;)

You are right about Texas not knowing about snow-we occasionally get ice- which stinks because Texas drivers are idiots anyway, but you throw Mother Nature into the mix and you better stay home:)

Have a great week.

We thought about it, but when they told us the cost -:eek: - forget about it!! We'll use the money to buy me something really flashy;) when I get to one of those islands!! If we are blessed to make 10 years more, I hope we can take a cruise and renew them then:) .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With respect to excursions, it depends on you. If you are unfamiliar w/ the country, don't speak the language & don't plan well, take a ship's excursion. You pay a premium for it, but it's all done for you & the ship will not leave w/o you.

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, LEAVE US? Would they actually leave us in a port if we weren't back to the ship at the allotted time? How would one get back on the ship? At the next port? This seems kind of harsh to me. I wonder how many people have gone on an excursion, had trouble with the transportation and got stranded and left at the port?:eek:

It is the passenger's responsibility to be back onboard before the ship leaves port. If you go on a ship-sponsored excursion, they'll typically wait if the excursion is delayed, but otherwise they may not.

It is one of the reasons that folks get cruise insurance, since it covers your accommodations in the port where you missed the ship (if necessary) and whatever transportation is necessary to get you to the next port or to the port of debarkation. (Also, keep in mind that if you miss the ship at a US port other than your port of embarkation/debarkation, a fine may be assessed.)

Archived