3 Choices...Please help me decide which cruise

I am looking at three different (princess) cruises. I know nothing about any of the ports. I would so much appreciate your opinions!

Option 1 - 10 day

Copenhagen, Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg (overnight), Talinn, Gydnia, Sea, Oslo and Copen

Option 2 - 10 day

Copenhagen, Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg (overnight), Talinn, Gydnia, Warnemunde, Helsingborg and Copen (overnight)

Option 3 - 12 day

Southhampton, Sea, Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Trondheim, Sea, Honningsvag, Tromso, Sea, Flaam, Bergen, Sea and Southhampton

Please consider air fare and pre/post stay. I hear the weather is best July/August. We are 2 in our early 40's and 2 boys (then 10 and 13).

Tina-Ann,

Why not consider Holland America July 4, 2008 on the Rotterdam. Only 2 sea days, great ports and we need more people on our roll call!

0 Copenhagen, Denmark

05:00 PM 1 At Sea

2 Tallinn, Estonia 10:00 AM 06:00 PM 3 St. Petersburg, Russia ON VX 07:00 AM

4 St. Petersburg, Russia VX

06:00 PM 5 Helsinki, Finland 06:00 AM 05:00 PM 6 Stockholm, Sweden 09:00 AM 06:00 PM 7 At Sea

8 Warnemunde (Berlin) Germany 06:00 AM 11:00 PM 9 Arhus, Denmark 10:00 AM 06:00 PM 10 Kristiansand, Norway 09:00 AM 06:00 PM 11 Oslo, Norway 08:00 AM 03:00 PM 12 Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 AM

Option 1 - 10 day

Copenhagen, Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg (overnight), Talinn, Gydnia, Sea, Oslo and Copen

Option 2 - 10 day

Copenhagen, Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg (overnight), Talinn, Gydnia, Warnemunde, Helsingborg and Copen (overnight)

Option 3 - 12 day

Southhampton, Sea, Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Trondheim, Sea, Honningsvag, Tromso, Sea, Flaam, Bergen, Sea and Southhampton

From your question, I would first be a little more open to the idea on Princess or with other cruise lines of going into one city and flying out of another. In many cases, that does NOT cause that much higher of an air fare, if planning and purchasing ahead early enough. It's called "open jaw" flights and it can work out well with added flexiblity to do more BOTH before and after your cruise in each of those two different starting and endng cities.

Second, your three options really narrows to two options. Option three would be the Norway coast, which seems beautiful from everything I have read and heard. BUT, it is very different from more of the key Baltic cities as Options 1 & 2 would offer. These are both wonderful options, but I sense that many first do the key Baltic capitals, including spectacular St. Petersburg. Then later, many will do the Norway coast with its fiords, etc. Because of the narrower weather "window" in this area and marketing/sales factors, there are more cruise options in the Baltics versus the smaller number of offerings along the Norway Coast.

On options one versus two, the key variable might be doing Oslo. Most all of the Baltic cruises include Copenhagen, Stockholm and St. Petersburg. Then are variables or trade-offs on how many sea days to have versus German or Polish stops, a Baltic island, etc. Tallinn is a secret stop that many don't realize its great charm and character, plus great shopping bargains. Our summer cruise includes Oslo and everything we have heard rates that stop as very, very much of a super highlight, including the sailing up to that city, where the boats dock, etc. Doing Oslo was key in our choice. Some want a Germany stop that will allow visiting Berlin. That stop can be challenging given the time to get from the port to Berlin and back. Some want to save Berlin for later and having more time there to enjoy it more fully.

Trade-offs and choices! No one cruise can do it all. One size does not fit everyone's personal interests. Determine your top priorities, in order. Then see what best fits your needs, budget and interests. Hope this helps.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We went through the same list of cruises trying to decide. Our choice was Option 2 on July 5, 2009 on the Emerald Princess. Our reasoning was one sea day, an extra port, RT air, longer days and we really like the Emerald. (Are you traveling this summer or next? - different ships for 2008.) There's no right or wrong cruise - all sound wonderful!

If you choose the Baltics option with an overnight in St Petersburg, are your sons keen on all that the city has to offer or might they appreciate that more when they are older? We did a Baltics cruise in summer 2006 with our son who was almost 11 and he enjoyed the cruise as much as we did but not all children would.

I am looking at three different (princess) cruises. I know nothing about any of the ports. I would so much appreciate your opinions!

Option 1 - 10 day

Option 2 - 10 day

Option 3 - 12 day

Please consider air fare and pre/post stay. I hear the weather is best July/August. We are 2 in our early 40's and 2 boys (then 10 and 13).

Since you have 2 boys, I think they will enjoy Option 1 or 2 more (from my experience with my own kids). There are many attractions in those cities that are both child-friendly and adult-friendly.

The difference between Option 1 and Option 2 is really Oslo vs. Warnemunde (Berlin). There are pros and cons:

Oslo: Port is right next to the city center. It is very convenient. However, Princess only has a short stay there.

Warnemunde: Berlin is more than 2 hours away from the port. However, you have a very long stay at that port.

Both are great destinations though.

Norway is stunningly beautiful but as a previous poster said, it depends on what you think would appeal to your children.

Norway and the Fjords are really all about the scenery. The ports of call are often quite tiny with little there other than walks or departure points to see more fabulous scenery.

Flam's highlight is the train journey through the valley but the village has nothing much to offer. Geiranger is bigger, but still not large but if you're fairly energetic there are good walks on roads/well defined tracks but again, there aren't a lot of tourist attractions here other than the setting and beauty of the area. Hellesylt was just a drop off on our cruise to pick up an excursion, the ship then sailed on to Geiranger for the rest of the day. Bergen has plenty to see and do on your own.

As you travel further up towards the North Cape it involves more time at sea and although Tromso and Tronheim are bigger places than the small settlements along the fjords, again, it's all about the scenery and visiting the North Cape which is quite barren.

I think you may need to consider too what the cost of excursions on these itineraries would be. Some of the ports of call have so little there (except the potential to walk) you may feel you would have to go on more ship's trips.

In the Baltics we found it easy to do our own thing except in St Petersburg as we hadn't got a visa so had to join ship excursions - these can be quite expensive too. There's more to see in the Baltic and the ports of call offer more variety really. The Vasa Museum and canal trips in Stockholm and Copenhagen may interest them - also the palaces and guards on duty in these two places. St Petersburg is majical and Tallin and Gdansk are great examples of Medieval towns. (Gdansk has been reconstructed after suffering terrible damage during WWII).

Another poster has said that Oslo is a plus but I can't offer an opinion on that as both our Baltic trips didn't call here (yes, it was so good we went again - so much to see!). However, you may like to think about the Warnemunde port of call. If you didn't want to do the Berlin trip (very interesting but a long time on a coach) Warnemunde itself is a lovely picturesque seaside town. It's very easy to catch the train to Rostock for 3E return (lots of advice elsewhere on the forum) and spend the morning there then have the afternoon on the beach. It all depends on whether your sons like the sea/beach but it may be a change for them after all the intensive sight-seeing.

Whichever you decide - have a great trip - both itineraries sound superb!

We debated your first two options and decided in favour of the cruise that has Oslo as a port of call. Our reasoning is that we would more likely do a separate trip that included Berlin and other parts of Germany but would be less likely to return to Norway as an independent destination. We just booked the Emerald Princess for August 2009 and will be travelling with two daughters who will be 6 and 12 at the time.

I would choose option 3 for travel with your boys. That itinerary with the extra sea days will give them a good balance of touring and shipboard fun. (My son has always enjoyed the sea days more than the destination.)

Hmmm, I still don't know which one to do....Would the Norwegian coast be similar to an Alaskan cruise?

Tina

I haven't been to Norway yet, so I can't compare. Have you been to Alaska?

We have been to Alaska twice and have booked our second cruise to Norway for this summer. Both are beautiful with lots of mountains, but it would be difficult to compare them as they are "different" mountains. In Norway the ports are smaller although Bergen certainly has plenty to see. The Alaskan Indian influence is strong there especially in the shopping. Both are very enjoyable but the scenery is the main attraction. Norway has many opportunities for hiking if that is your thing.

I hope this isn't off track, but someone did ask.

Alaska scenery is beautiful, but Norwegian fjords like Geirangerfjord and Aurlandsfjord (Flaam) are more dramatic - higher cliffs dropping straight down to the water and spectacular waterfalls hundreds of ft high pouring over the edge.

see http://www.smp.no/files/smp/kamera/geiranger/geiranger_original.jpg

The other advantage of cruising Norway is that you feel like you are really 'someplace else' (ie in Europe), not just in the US with all the usual billboards, restaurant chains etc.

BTW - language is no problem - almost everyone in Norway speaks English

A disadvantage of Norway is that prices are high.

Re Baltic itineraries vs Norwegian coastal and fjords itinerary:

We've done 3 Baltic itineraries and cruised the Norwegian fjords a dozen or more times

-> one thing to consider is whether you like cities. As a previous poster said, the Baltic is about touring cities and all that major cities have to offer = city tours, museums, art galleries, churches etc. The St Petersburg palaces are incredible - like being in another world.

We find we get 'citied out' on some European cruises that are port intensive if they don't offer a variety of large and small ports.

I have been on both cruises and you could not go wrong with either. In terms of option 1 and 2, I went on 1 as I wanted to see Oslo. the ship docks right in town. With Berlin, there is a 3 hour train ride, so you end up spending more time traveling than seeing the city. That might be boring for 2 young boys to travel so much. There were more children on the Russia cruise than the Norway cruise. The norway cruise consisted up alot of retired people from Great Britain (I sense that the Norway cruise is equilvalent to how American seniors go on the Alaska cruise). Norway is more about scenery - it is a bit more slow paced than the Russia cruise (where we were up every day at 6am ready to go on tours). Norway consisted of more half day days whereas Russia was more all day tours. If your children are into history, I think they would like Russia more. The Russia cruise had guest lectures on Russian czars, etc. so I personally found it more interesting than Norway.

I have been on both cruises and you could not go wrong with either. In terms of option 1 and 2, I went on 1 as I wanted to see Oslo. the ship docks right in town. With Berlin, there is a 3 hour train ride, so you end up spending more time traveling than seeing the city. .

Excellent summary and key points. Any special tips on what you loved or found unique in Oslo? Visiting there for the first time this summer.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived