Visiting St. John question??

ISABELLA

We will be on Caribbean Princess from NY, visiting St Thomas and other places. We've been in St. Thomas number of times, but never at the new pier.

Can anyone tell how far is the Red Hook ferry from the pier? And the cost of taxi or local bus to get there. This time we want to spend a day in St. John.

Thank you all.

Keep cruising....

You will be on the opposite side of the island from Red Hook. Plenty of mini-bus taxis will be at the cruise ship pier in St. Thomas, so find one going to Red Hook (easy) and hop on over. I can't recall how much it was one way, but $5 - $7 per person sounds close.

Getting back from Red Hook can be a bit dicey, so leave yourself some time to find a taxi.

Hi,

We will be doing that again this year from the CB as well. We did it last year from the Crown and it was great. We got a cab to Red Hook right outside of the shopping area at the pier. It was $11 per person if I remember correctly. It was a fairly long trip as there were LOTS of people on the open air cab. Make sure you leave PLENTY of time on the way back from St. John to get back to the ship. If there are other ships when you are in port, cabs will be at a premium and there will be much more traffic on the islands.

We went to Cinnamon Bay and had the whole beach to ourselves for a few hours. It rained a little, but the day was still awesome. You will love it.

Enjoy,

F

We will be on Caribbean Princess from NY, visiting St Thomas and other places. We've been in St. Thomas number of times, but never at the new pier.

Can anyone tell how far is the Red Hook ferry from the pier? And the cost of taxi or local bus to get there. This time we want to spend a day in St. John.

Thank you all.

Keep cruising....

Although limited I believe there is ferry servicwe from Downtown Charlotte Amalie too. :)

In January we walked outside the gate and down the street alittle bit. We paid $5.00 per person for an open taxi to Red Hook. The guys inside the gate wanted alot more for the trip. We got a taxi to take us to the beach and had a great time. We ended up taking the ferry to down town, because alot of the contruction workers took the ferry back to Red Hook. You need to leave alittle time in your schedule. We still had time to do alittle shopping at Crown Bay stores

In January we walked outside the gate and down the street alittle bit. We paid $5.00 per person for an open taxi to Red Hook. The guys inside the gate wanted alot more for the trip. We got a taxi to take us to the beach and had a great time. We ended up taking the ferry to down town, because alot of the contruction workers took the ferry back to Red Hook. You need to leave alittle time in your schedule. We still had time to do alittle shopping at Crown Bay stores

That is cheap, we paid $8 several years ago from Havensight. :)

So it seems that St. John is can easily be done on your own...I want to do go this summer, from Crown Bay. I am nervous about it though. I heard it's an hour and half to get there. I just wonder how much time that leaves to be on the beach. We are in port from 7a.m. to 4pm (all aboard 3:30). Should I go? :confused:

We were just there last Friday. We walked outside the Cown Bay gates turned right and up the street a little (about 10 mins) and caught the open air taxi/bus. The cost was $2 per person. It drops you off right out front of the ferry at Red Hook.

We got to Red Hook to catch the 9 am ferry, arriving at Trunk Bay by about 9:30.

On the way back we caught the 3 pm ferry to Red Hook and again caught the $2 taxi back to the pier. It took a bit longer to get back to the pier because of traffic but we made it by about 4:15 (our ship didn't leave until 6).

I was a little nervous about finding where to catch the $2 taxis but the locals were very helpful.

Also note that on the way back you will catch the taxi on the same side of the street you got off from in the morning.

Good luck!

Since having been to St. Thomas a number of times, we always now go to St. John. Once at Cruz Bay, we get a taxi to take us to Trunk Bay. You can also get a taxi to take you to any of the other beaches on the island. From Crown Bay, we walked outside of the gated area and took the taxi to Red Hook. The open air taxis are only around $2. Listed below is the update ferry schedule with prices. It might be better to take the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie instead of Red Hook because of traffic in the afternoon. It's a longer ferry ride, but saves time in the long run. You can then take the open air taxi back to Crown Bay.

From Red Hook:

Rates: One-way, $5/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $1.25 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2/piece for luggage/boxes.

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Leaving Red Hook, St. ThomasLeaving Cruz Bay, St. John6:30 am, 7:30 am then hourly from 8:00 am to Midnight

Hourly from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

From Charlotte Amalie:

Rates: One-way, $10/Adults and $3.00/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $5 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2/piece for luggage/boxes.

Time: 40 to 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. ThomasLeaving Cruz Bay, St. John9:00 am

11:00 am

1:00 pm

3:00 pm4:00 pm

5:30 pm

7:15 am

9:15 am

11:15 am

1:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:45 pm

Hope this helps!

yOU MIGHT LOOK AT THIS WEBSITE THAT GIVES GREAT DIRECTIONS ON CATCHING THE FERRY.http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html. We are going to do it on our own in April on CP. :)

We went over to St John's in August and we took the 9am ferry from Charlotte Amalie with was a very short taxi ride (about 4 dollars) from where we were docked. I think that is the best way, and the ferry ride over was only about 25 min so quick! We enjoyed a wonderful day at st. john and took the ferry back I think around 2:15 pm. I would definatly recommend it and do it again in a heart beat!

We went over to St John's in August and we took the 9am ferry from Charlotte Amalie with was a very short taxi ride (about 4 dollars) from where we were docked. I think that is the best way, and the ferry ride over was only about 25 min so quick!

Taking the ferry from town is our favorite way to go too. We really enjoy the ferry rides as part of the day's entertainment. Much more relaxing (and, frankly, easier on the tummy if you are bothered by twisty turny roads more than boats, as I am). For our return, we just take whichever ferry requires the least amount of waiting and travel time in total. Sometimes it's to Red Hook, sometimes it's to CA.

Depending on your arrival time, the 8am from Red Hook is a bit ambitious (particularly if you have to go through immigration first). The 9am from CA forces us to get up and get going, and is the one we shoot for.

Taking the ferry from town is our favorite way to go too. We really enjoy the ferry rides as part of the day's entertainment. Much more relaxing (and, frankly, easier on the tummy if you are bothered by twisty turny roads more than boats, as I am). For our return, we just take whichever ferry requires the least amount of waiting and travel time in total. Sometimes it's to Red Hook, sometimes it's to CA.

Depending on your arrival time, the 8am from Red Hook is a bit ambitious (particularly if you have to go through immigration first). The 9am from CA forces us to get up and get going, and is the one we shoot for.

I agree. ;)

Archived