Our Friend Is 7 feet 2 inches tall. Can he Cruise?

MikePowers

A very dear couple and friends of ours are wondering if there is any popular cruise line where her husband who is 7 feet 2 inches call could enjoy a cruise without banging his head through out a ship. They also have concerns about the height of a cabin as well as the shower and toilet area. Does anyone have any suggestions and cruise lines for them to consider?

Interesting question. I've seen extremely tall men on my cruises (where they're a head taller than almost all of the men around them) so it must be possible. I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences. I remember meeting Manute Bol for the first time: he was so tall that he had to bend over to go through standard doorways and the only way he could "sit" in the living room was to sit on the floor. :(

It would be real tough putting a 7'2" guy in a Princess cabin period the ceiling height can't be much more then 7'. :)

I'm thinking that putting anyone that height into a cabin on *any* ship is going to be a challenge. Once you're out in the main areas of the ship, I would think it should be pretty good, but I'd say at least spring for a balcony for sure! :)

Thanks for your thoughts. Might there be any other cruise lines you might suggest? I told them with the great number of experts on CC that I would have a solution within a day or two. Help. There must be a cruise line where he would fit in as they say. Thank you all, Mike

Hi.

I really don't think the cabin height varies any from one ship to another.

On most ships these days, cabins are prefabricated units that are pieced together much like building blocks and as most ships are similar in cabin layout/design, I doubt you'll see any difference in ceiling height.

A balcony or mini might give you more space outside to get the kinks out of the neck so to speak, but once you are in public areas you should have no problems.

Ciao for now!!!

Captinron

Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know the height of staterooms on ships?

thanks Mike

Seems to me they feel like they are a standard 8 ft. I am 6'5'' and do not feel closed in.

The other challenge your friend may have is the bed. I know my feet hit the end... but if he is like me he probably runs into that all the time in hotels and other places when traveling.

My DH is 6'4" and he does not feel closed in either. We have had a balcony and an inside and the showers are a little tight for him. We have a travel trailer and his head brushes the ceiling, but that does not keep him from camping.

I also think the ceilings in the cabin are a standard 8' or slightly shorter. If your friend can sleep in a standard hotel bed, he will not have any different situation on Princess. With the twins put together, he could always steal part of his wife's side (I am sure she is used to it :) )

What about using the showers in the gym area that are open to the public? They are very big - similar to those in your normal gym. There are many large people who prefer to bathe there as the cabin showers are small unless you get a mini or suite.

Every other place on the ship will allow a ton of head room and will not be an issue.

It would be great if they could try a short cruise to see how it goes. Good luck to them and I hope they are able to find a cruise they enjoy.

My son in law cruised with us on the Crown. He is 6' 9". You can request a bed extender. A note was faxed to Princess requesting this.

The only problem he said he had in the cabin was hitting his head where the curtain rod is going out to the balcony.

He managed well in all other areas and is used to ducking his head when necessary. He even said the shower was not a problem, though I imagine he did have to scrunch a little.

He loved the cruise and will do it again.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. He is probably use to watching for things to bump into. Any cruiseline would be fine. The shower is the only area he might have to really scrunch, but it might be fine. Like a previous poster said, he can always use the ones in the gym. I would certainly give it a try.

A very dear couple and friends of ours are wondering if there is any popular cruise line where her husband who is 7 feet 2 inches call could enjoy a cruise without banging his head through out a ship.

By the way does he have a single brother? oops did I say that outloud? :o

• Haha 1

The other challenge your friend may have is the bed. I know my feet hit the end... but if he is like me he probably runs into that all the time in hotels and other places when traveling.

I think this is right. My brothers are 6'8" and 6'5". The taller one already knows that life at that height can be challenge, and knows, after several serious bumps, to watch doorway and ceiling heights, to request aisle seats on planes, to hope to heaven that his suitcase isn't delayed because there is no way that he is going to find clothes or shoes in an "average" store or cruise ship gift shop to fit him. I think that someone 7'2" tall will have to stoop a bit to shower and sleep at an angle on the bed to maximum length, but these things won't be that much of a surprise.

I think this is right. My brothers are 6'8" and 6'5". The taller one already knows that life at that height can be challenge, and knows, after several serious bumps, to watch doorway and ceiling heights, to request aisle seats on planes, to hope to heaven that his suitcase isn't delayed because there is no way that he is going to find clothes or shoes in an "average" store or cruise ship gift shop to fit him. I think that someone 7'2" tall will have to stoop a bit to shower and sleep at an angle on the bed to maximum length, but these things won't be that much of a surprise.

Completely agree! My DH is 6'7" and after being married to him for more than twenty years I have seen him have to adjust his height to his environment constantly. And he still bumps his head once in awhile when he forgets to duck, but not often. When you are so much taller you learn early on that you will need to make accomodations for a world built for those shorter than you. I am certain that someone who is 7'2" has learned that lesson as well. It certainly doesn't mean he shouldn't go and enjoy himself on a cruise. Just tell him to watch out for those light fixtures on the hallway ceilings!!

As far as suggesting other cruise lines...

I would NOT suggest the Vista class HAL ships. (I love HAL for their scoop ice cream and their warm bread pudding with vanilla sauce, but) The ceilings seemed very low, and the ship did not have an "open" feeling in the atrium/main staircase area. I don't believe your friend would find any relief on the Zuiderdam. The other cruise lines in our experience have a more open feeling and more head room.

My son in law cruised with us on the Crown. He is 6' 9". You can request a bed extender. A note was faxed to Princess requesting this.

The only problem he said he had in the cabin was hitting his head where the curtain rod is going out to the balcony.

He managed well in all other areas and is used to ducking his head when necessary. He even said the shower was not a problem, though I imagine he did have to scrunch a little.

He loved the cruise and will do it again.

Still 5" taller then that, it would not be comfortable at all. :cool:

Still 5" taller then that, it would not be comfortable at all. :cool:

That's true, no one here has sited actual cruise experiences of being 7'2", but I do think the experiences of those cruisers who are quite a bit taller than average still offer valid points. As I said in my previous post, the world in general is not built to accommodate extremely tall people and cruise ships are no exception. However, tall people learn to adjust or they couldn't function in the world. That shouldn't keep them from enjoying the same vacation options as everyone else, but what it does mean is that in order to do so they have to remember to duck, scrunch, tuck their legs up etc. That's just life in the tall zone.

That's true, no one here has sited actual cruise experiences of being 7'2", but I do think the experiences of those cruisers who are quite a bit taller than average still offer valid points. As I said in my previous post, the world in general is not built to accommodate extremely tall people and cruise ships are no exception. However, tall people learn to adjust or they couldn't function in the world. That shouldn't keep them from enjoying the same vacation options as everyone else, but what it does mean is that in order to do so they have to remember to duck, scrunch, tuck their legs up etc. That's just life in the tall zone.

Never said they should avoid a cruise vacation but the OP needs honest opinions and the majority of opinions are only dealing with people that are at least 6 inches shorter or more.....

I understand but I don't care how much someone scrunches they cannot fit a 7"2" frame in a reg cabin shower stall on Princes and even come close to being able to shower. ;)

Hi,

Just thought I would chime in here and let you know that my husband is 6'11" and does alright on the Princess cruises. You do have to watch

the lights in the halls where the cabins are and he does have to duck

his head to get in but once inside he is alright. The shower is another

thing. Mini suites have showers that are higher on some ships. Most of

the ship was no problem. He does watch his head just for his own sake

but we have done cruising and has had no problem

Karen:)

A very dear couple and friends of ours are wondering if there is any popular cruise line where her husband who is 7 feet 2 inches call could enjoy a cruise without banging his head through out a ship. They also have concerns about the height of a cabin as well as the shower and toilet area. Does anyone have any suggestions and cruise lines for them to consider?

The question is, "Can he dunk?"