Zipline Fatality

OMG! How tragic! :(

I wonder which course it was (South Shore or Pirates of the Caribbean). I am assuming from the story it was in Roatan but it doesn't mention the course name.

DH just did the extreme course on PotC 3 weeks ago. :::shudder::: The ride up to the first platform to take a picture of him was adventurous enough for me! :eek:

I've never really understood the zip-line concept--are you supposed to be viewing native wildlife, or is it an "amusement" ride??? I mean, folks pay ALOT of money for a 3 min(?) ride on a wire? I just don't get it! What's the draw??

we are so sorry to here of this tragedy and our thoughts and prayers go out to her family.we are going to costa rica in a few weeks on a cruise and have signed up for this as an excursion.this will not deter us from doing what we are all pumped up to do.accidents happen every day and if it is going to happen it happens

I've never really understood the zip-line concept--are you supposed to be viewing native wildlife, or is it an "amusement" ride??? I mean, folks pay ALOT of money for a 3 min(?) ride on a wire? I just don't get it! What's the draw??

It's a little of both ... the ones I have been on in Costa Rica and Puerta Vallarta included pretty good hikes through the jungle. The one in Costa Rica, the guide pointed out certain indigenous plants, etc. It was very interesting and the wire was thrilling.

I have to admit, the last time in PV I got a little unnerved b/c the highest wire was approx. 500 feet up.

This is so tragic. And a reminder that there are risks with almost every excursion.

I feel so sorry for this family. A fantastic cruise vacation,..... then that.

I am not trying to be rude, but I wonder what she weighed. I am at 240lb and that excursion scares me for partially that reason. I also wonder what the past few people that used the equipment she used weighed.

we are so sorry to here of this tragedy and our thoughts and prayers go out to her family.we are going to costa rica in a few weeks on a cruise and have signed up for this as an excursion.this will not deter us from doing what we are all pumped up to do.accidents happen every day and if it is going to happen it happens

you're right that if it's your time it's your time.....it'll happen. Right under

the article about this lady is one about another woman sitting in a boat

and a stingray jumped out of the water and killed her. No point in worrying

about it as long as you've taken the right precautions and make

informed decisions.

Ya its a shame. I agree though, this just is a reminder that it can happen. It shouldn't have with proper supervision and inspection checks on their gear. I just told my wife about this because we were gonna decide between zipline or ATV in jamaica. I think she made her choice lol.

That is tragic! They will be investigating to find out the cause...faulty harness? Too much weight? Not strapped in properly?? I guess the investigation will determine that.

Will that stop me? Not on your life. I have zipped 3 times, and am planning to do it again this year, possibly in Cabo. I love it, and it is thrilling. I personally don't understand how people can just shop, sit on a bus, or lay on a beach, but to each their own. I like to do things I've never done before on a cruise. I have such spectacular memories - parasailing, mountain biking, horseback riding, ziplining, swimming with stingrays, tubing, ziplining, kayaking, hot air balloon - I liked everything but parasailing, but at least I can say I have done it!

The victim wasn't on a cruise; she had been there for a week.

Well one has a greater chance of getting killed in a car accident on the way to the cruise ship then zip line. Part of the thrill of doing things like this is you do stare death in the face.

Same as with other sports like parachuting. Didn't stop me from doing that either.

I fully agree that when it's your time to go you can't stop it. I also believe that you WILL NOT die before it's your time to.

I am not trying to be rude, but I wonder what she weighed. I am at 240lb and that excursion scares me for partially that reason. I also wonder what the past few people that used the equipment she used weighed.

That's not a rude question. I too wonder to if that might have been a contributing factor.

Prayers to the family. So tragic .

I recently did my first zipline when we were in St. Lucia a few weeks ago. I had some concerns before I went, but I was very impressed with the professionalism of our guides, the safety precautions, and the condition of all of the equipment. Our excursion included a ride up through the rainforest on an aerial tram and our guide provided a very interesting and informative narrative that dealt with the various aspects of the rain forest and its inhabitants. The zip line itself was more like a twenty minute ride involving about a dozen different stations and when you included the hike back up to the tram, the slow ride down which offered fantastic views of the forest, the ocean and the island of St. Lucia, our entire excursion took over three hours. The bus ride between Castries and the rain forest and back also provided us with overlooks of the city and the surrounding area. It was well worth the cost.

I hope that a thorough investigation is made of this tragic incident is done and that whoever operates ziplines in various parts of the world take notice of the findings and review their procedures to insure that they are operating in as safe a manner as possible.

There is a certain degree of risk in almost everything we do and while we should take sensible precautions in any activity that we engage in, we should allow ourselves to be paralyzed by fear.:)

What's the point of having weight restrictions if they don't weigh people who look to be close to the weight limit?

Also, who in their right mind would want to push the weight limit on a zip line??? I know I wouldn't!

What's the point of having weight restrictions if they don't weigh people who look to be close to the weight limit?

Also, who in their right mind would want to push the weight limit on a zip line??? I know I wouldn't!

I agree yet you would be amazed how many people have questioned if they actually check your weight. Pretty stupid :eek:

###

Well I can see asking. I did about the horseback riding. Not that I am over the limit but I'm a chubby gal and didn't want the group to know what I weighed. I wouldn't mind if someone checked it to be sure but I wouldn't want them saying it out loud!

I can't think of any excursion that wouldn't have the weight limits without just reasons.

The helicopter, horseback riding, zip-line, plane rides and dog sledding. I mean really. Who wants your plane or helicopter or zip-line breaking and who would be so cruel to the animals that they would ride them or make them pull them?

If anyone does..........it's wrong. Just wrong and very very dangerous to you and others! So please no matter how much you want to do the excursion, don't do it. If you really want to do it then please lose the weight first. It's not worth risking injury or death to you, others or the animals.

I know when we did a zip line tour in Costa Rica, all the big folks like me at 230# were given a extra heavy duty harness with shoulder straps in addition to the waist strap which was all that there was with the regular harness.

I know when we did a zip line tour in Costa Rica, all the big folks like me at 230# were given a extra heavy duty harness with shoulder straps in addition to the waist strap which was all that there was with the regular harness.

All these zip lines ought to use full-body harnesses. I don't know why they don't.

I have heard friends tell stories of their land vacations of being rushed along by the workers---straps not tight, twist-locking caribiners locked up in the open position so that getting on and off and onto the next line was supposedly faster....:rolleyes:

I'm guessing this terrible accident wasn't a matter of being over-weight. That's not an issue with such gear---it is how the gear is used. That lady might have flipped over and fallen from a half harness. Unfortunately, we most likely will never know what really happened to her.

Leslie

OMG! How tragic! :(

I wonder which course it was (South Shore or Pirates of the Caribbean). I am assuming from the story it was in Roatan but it doesn't mention the course name.

DH just did the extreme course on PotC 3 weeks ago. :::shudder::: The ride up to the first platform to take a picture of him was adventurous enough for me! :eek:

A post on the Roatan board said it was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Archived