Hamburg and LeHavre

We are doing repo on Grand Princess that puts us in Hamburg and Le Havre in early May. Are there suggestions for tours in those places?
The trips offered by Princess, which go to Berlin and Paris, respectively, sound like a lot of travel for just a small amount of time in those cities. My husband is a photo bug, so interesting photo ops are his cup of tea.

You are correct about going to Paris from LeHavre. Its a lot of traveling for only a few hours in Paris (many of us think Paris is worth any trip). An excellent alternative is to head West to the Normandy area. You can do this by renting a car or hiring a private car/guide. Its a lot closer, and there is plenty in the region. If you have some extra time you can stop at the old sea resort of Deauville which is just west of LeHavre.

Hank

There's plenty to see and do in Hamburg itself - much more than a day's worth. It's an old and wealthy port city, much of the city centre has been rebuilt in reasonably authentic styles after the Second World War, and the area around the city centre lakes is very picturesque. I would get yourself a good guide book and hit the streets.

Hi 10101,
LeHavre is a great place to rent a car, but if the ship offers tours to Etretat, Fecamp or Honfleur take it. They are beautiful and interesting sea-side villages.
We had lunch in Honfleur in the rain after driving from Etretat and Fecamp, bought baguettes and Camenbert and had a picnic on the Lido when we got back to the ship.
We are going to Hamburg this summer. My DH wants to go to Berlin but a 3 hour bus ride (each way) does not turn me on. I'd rather do the candlelight river ride in the evening in Hamburg.
GN

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;6;16;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
"'till the next trip: The Land of the Midnight Sun: B2B June 2004 on the Rotterdam."
<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="208" height="30">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=6>
<param name="day" value=06>
<param name="hour" value=17>
</applet>

We docked in Le Havre last year in September (it was a Sunday). My husband and I together with another C.C. couple hired a taxi that took us to Honfleur. We arranged with him to come back about 5 hours later.

We had a wonderful day there. It is a delightful town and there is lots to see. We had a great lunch and at 3pm, the taxi driver returned to take us back to the ship.

We paid him when we arrived back at the ship. I think each couple paid about 55Euros for the trip. It was well worth it and we have many fond memories and great photos of lovely Honfleur.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/img]

We have been to Le Havre twice. The fist time we visited Honfleur. A quaint and charming sea side village. We shared a taxi over with another couple and caught the bus back.The bus leaves and arrives beside the railway station.

Last year we caught the train to Rouen (41.40 euros return for the two of us). What an amazing city. 13th & 14th century buildings in narrow cobble stone streets. So much history. Joan of Arc was burned there and later canonised. A beautiful modern church is built on the site. Her story is told in the stained glass windows. The tower in which she was imprisoned is all that remains of the castle. Notre Dame Cathedral is also worth a visit. We were there on a Sunday, the shops were closed but that didn't bother us. In fact it was probably better for moving around.

The best part for touring by yourself is that when you arrive in Le Havre inside the terminal building they have an information desk. The attendants speak perfect English and they help you with information, maps and train & bus time tables, which is the last bus or train you should catch for the return etc. Friends were told to jump in a taxi and head for the bus station as their bus to Honfleur was departing soon. We were told we could walk to the station as our train wasn't departing for an hour.

On both visits to Le Havre we have walked to and from the station. Aprox a 20-30 minute walk. On the first visit before we headed off to Honfleur we also walked around Le Havre. Although extensively bombed in WW 2 it is quite a pleasant city. There is a lovely square with nice gardens opposite a grand hotel(a building that escaped destruction) and the promenade along the water front is nice. We had a long chat to a French Algerian walking his dog. He told us all about the effects of the war on Le Havre.

What ever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll have a great time. We could return again and find something different to do.

Sandydownunder has provided so much very useful information, for which I am grateful. The new question is, for someone who has just one day in Le Havre, is the recommendation to visit Honfleur or Rouen?

Both Sandydownunder and myself were on the same cruise and have kept in touch. Whilst we did do some trips together, this was not one as they had already been to Honfleuer.

I can only speak for Honfleur which is a very picturesque town that is very old. It is quite historical and has a very old timber church there dating back to the 11th or 12th century which we went through.

You have to decide whether you want to go to a large town/city or a smaller fishing village that is very picturesque. Perhaps the weather will help you decide as I wouldn't go to Honfleur unless it was a lovely day. The day we went it was sunny and warm and everything was sparkling. Honfleur has a lot of restaurants and as we enjoy French food that was a bonus for us. We had a very relaxing day which we enjoyed immensely.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/img]

Archived