ROLL CALL The Spirit November 1 St

Margate Cruiser

Steve:

It sounds like we will have delightful company, especially since I tend to be very bad with names. Three Steves will make it much easier! My wife is Linda and we enjoyed a honeymoon on the Legend in November 2006. We will be arriving in Cairo on the 11th (our anniversary) and probably staying at Giza, before taking a train to meet our friends in Alexandria. They are the lecturers. I don't want to release any details without their permission, but I can say they are historians who are finishing up a book which will be of interest to those visiting Egypt.

Steve A

Cands and Margate Cruiser,

We did this same cruise last year on the Spirit from Alexandria to Dubai.

Because we had a 15 day Egypt land trip (which was fantastic) before embarking in Alexandria, I would like to add a couple suggestions.

The tour you are looking at for Luxor sounds great! I would probably agree that only the one day would be best. The only thing you would be missing from the overnight is the Light Show at the Luxor temple. You will certainly be tired from the days trip and it will be nice to be back on the ship. As suggested earlier, opting for a packed lunch from the ship would be the best thing to do rather than stopping to eat at a restaurant. Then, maybe you could squeeze in the Luxor temple, which is very close to the Karnack Temple or even better the Luxor Museum which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Actually in a small group you will be able to move faster and see more. We were fortunate in having a driver and the same Egyptologist with us for the fifteen days and it was just the three of us visiting all the sites. It was an educational experience that can never be replicated. The weather will be warm and the flies will be thick, especially at the Valley of the Kings but nothing will surpass the awe and memories of this trip.

In Dubai we stayed a total of three nights - one on the ship and two at the Hilton Dubai Creek. The Hilton was a good hotel as Jane stated. Our room was very nice with a corner view all glass over the Dubai Creek. On our last evening, before our early a.m. departure we went to the Mall of the Emirates and then taxied over to the Burj Al Arab for drinks at the top being able to see wonderful views of Palm Island and The World. We then had an excellent dinner at the Seafood Restaurant with a table right next to the aquarium. On our late return to the Hilton, we picked up our held bags and headed to the airport.

Do take the Seabourn experience when in Dubai. It was a fun evening. Enjoy your trip. We love Seabourn and can't wait for our return.

Steve:

It sounds like we will have delightful company, especially since I tend to be very bad with names. Three Steves will make it much easier! My wife is Linda and we enjoyed a honeymoon on the Legend in November 2006. We will be arriving in Cairo on the 11th (our anniversary) and probably staying at Giza, before taking a train to meet our friends in Alexandria. They are the lecturers. I don't want to release any details without their permission, but I can say they are historians who are finishing up a book which will be of interest to those visiting Egypt.

Steve A

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification about the lecturers and sorry for being nosey;) .

I hope you can introduce us. That will at least make us attend some of the lectures. (we are notoriously lazy while on holiday, especially intellectually!)

Cheers,

Steve.

Cands and Margate Cruiser,

We did this same cruise last year on the Spirit from Alexandria to Dubai.

Because we had a 15 day Egypt land trip (which was fantastic) before embarking in Alexandria, I would like to add a couple suggestions.

The tour you are looking at for Luxor sounds great! I would probably agree that only the one day would be best. The only thing you would be missing from the overnight is the Light Show at the Luxor temple. You will certainly be tired from the days trip and it will be nice to be back on the ship. As suggested earlier, opting for a packed lunch from the ship would be the best thing to do rather than stopping to eat at a restaurant. Then, maybe you could squeeze in the Luxor temple, which is very close to the Karnack Temple or even better the Luxor Museum which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Actually in a small group you will be able to move faster and see more. We were fortunate in having a driver and the same Egyptologist with us for the fifteen days and it was just the three of us visiting all the sites. It was an educational experience that can never be replicated. The weather will be warm and the flies will be thick, especially at the Valley of the Kings but nothing will surpass the awe and memories of this trip.

In Dubai we stayed a total of three nights - one on the ship and two at the Hilton Dubai Creek. The Hilton was a good hotel as Jane stated. Our room was very nice with a corner view all glass over the Dubai Creek. On our last evening, before our early a.m. departure we went to the Mall of the Emirates and then taxied over to the Burj Al Arab for drinks at the top being able to see wonderful views of Palm Island and The World. We then had an excellent dinner at the Seafood Restaurant with a table right next to the aquarium. On our late return to the Hilton, we picked up our held bags and headed to the airport.

Do take the Seabourn experience when in Dubai. It was a fun evening. Enjoy your trip. We love Seabourn and can't wait for our return.

Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative post. I'm glad you think the one-day to Luxor is do-able. I know we will be exhausted by the end of the day, but we sure will be glad to jump into our 'own' beds and perhaps order a nice supper from room service.

We've read lots about the various Seabourn Experiences and from what we've read the one in Dubai is one of the best. As we are staying on the ship until Singapore we have 2 nights in Dubai. The first is the Seabourn Experience night.

I think the second night has to be the Burj Al Arab, maybe just for cocktails or even afternoon tea, if they have one.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification about the lecturers and sorry for being nosey;) .

I hope you can introduce us. That will at least make us attend some of the lectures. (we are notoriously lazy while on holiday, especially intellectually!)

Cheers,

Steve.

We will be happy to introduce you, and certainly look forward to meeting you. The one day Luxor tour sounds ideal.

>"I think the second night has to be the Burj Al Arab, maybe just for cocktails or even afternoon tea, if they have one."

Just remember that you need a written confirmation of a meal, tea, etc. to be allowed to enter the Burg. And you have to be dressed apropriately.

As to the lectures, they are usually repeated all day on one of the tv channels. I find watching the lecture in my suite, sitting up in the straight back chair, more conducive to learning than sitting in the lounge and falling asleep in the comfy seat. It has nothing to do with interest in the talk, just a reaction to my college days and sleeping through microbiology which met at 8AM and my seat was next to the radiator. A learned response.

Hello again,

I'll keep a list of those interested in the one day Safaga to Luxor private tour and then we can discuss booking it in a few months time:

Interested parties:

Margate Cruiser - Steve and Judy

hoya68 - Steve and Linda

cands - Steve and Chris

Are there anymore Steves out there?;)

Everyone seems to rave about the Seabourn Experiences in Ephesus and Dubai.

Would anyone like to share their experiences of these?

We also have one in Navplion. As we board the ship on 25 October we have the oportunity to do this one twice! Has anyone done it? Is it worth doing twice?

We also have one more, in Penang Malaysia on the segment between Dubai and Singapore.

Steve.

Everyone seems to rave about the Seabourn Experiences in Ephesus and Dubai.

Would anyone like to share their experiences of these?

We also have one in Navplion. As we board the ship on 25 October we have the oportunity to do this one twice! Has anyone done it? Is it worth doing twice?

We also have one more, in Penang Malaysia on the segment between Dubai and Singapore.

Steve.

We have enjoyed many Seabourn Experiences including Ephasus and Navplion but we do find the evening experiences (got to be careful how I word this) a bit disruptive to the evening activity. I enjoy changing, going to the Club, few scoops, and then dinner up or down. The Experiences rip that apart and put pressure on before and after. Morning /afternoon great but ???

Although the cruise is still 7 months away we have great concerns about leaving her for over 8 weeks, even though we have a wonderful house-sitter who loves the dogs.

Steve.

we had two blokes from Sydney on our SA cruise, they interviewed for housesitters, and the one that got the job was the one that said she didnt mind sleeping with dogs!! Could take that a couple of ways! :D

I know I am very slack when it comes to medical matters, but we didnt have ONE injection before our trip on the Spirit. (I have never had a tetnus shot in my long life!) On the SA cruise we had the yellow fever one, only because it was compulsory, also took the malaria pills and didnt spot one mozzie! The "Travel Doctor" did suggest lots of other shots....but I declined!

On the Spirit we did get one of those "bugs" and mine was so bad it lasted 6 weeks after I got home. The SA cruise, neither of us got even as much as a sniffle but I think we had learnt to be more careful the second time......used lots of that antibacterial hand cleaner all the time.....

we had two blokes from Sydney on our SA cruise, they interviewed for housesitters, and the one that got the job was the one that said she didnt mind sleeping with dogs!! Could take that a couple of ways! :D

It's sad, but our dear old Labrador Bess, won't be with us come October. We've had a sad traumatic week. We found a large lump last Friday. She was operated on on Monday and although she has come though the operation very well the cytology results are not good.

We've always made an effort to keep her trim and healthy,(very difficult for a lab) but I think for the next days or weeks she might be a little bit spoiled as far as food is concerned:) .

At 14 she has had a good life.

Steve (and Chris)

On the Spirit we did get one of those "bugs" and mine was so bad it lasted 6 weeks after I got home. The SA cruise, neither of us got even as much as a sniffle but I think we had learnt to be more careful the second time......used lots of that antibacterial hand cleaner all the time.....

That's interesting Lorraine.

When we worked out on which ships we became ill it was generally the ones which didn't enforce the hand cleansing. We were on a Holland America ship during a 'code red' where no one was allowed to touch anything. We didn't get as much as a sniffle.

The worst occasion was when we took a private tour in Madeira with people met through Cruise Critic.

The woman sitting next to me in the bus had a cold, and proceeded to sneeze and cough all over me for 8 hours. I had no chance and became ill for the next 3 weeks:mad: .

I think the Japanese have the right idea. They wear those masks when they have a cold, to avoid spreading it to others!

Steve.

>"I think the Japanese have the right idea. They wear those masks when they have a cold, to avoid spreading it to others!"

I now have a compromised immune system and carry some masks with me, just in case. I often use one on a plane.

So sorry to hear the bad new about Bess, Steve. Sadly its something all us animal lovers have to face at some time or other. Im sure some extra smackos or chocolates would do her good at the moment! Its always good to spoil them as much as possible. I wouldnt give much thought to her weight now.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve & Chris:

My wife and I are also on the Spirit from Rome to Singapore. Would like to meet up with both of you. Is there a roll call for this trip? Can't wait for the fun to begin.:)

Hi Steve & Chris:

My wife and I are also on the Spirit from Rome to Singapore. Would like to meet up with both of you. Is there a roll call for this trip? Can't wait for the fun to begin.:)

Hi RosieD,

I believe there is a role call that you guys actually started. I'll bring it back to the top and we can then post there as well:)

The excitement is building.........

Steve.

Hi Steve & Chris & fellow CC's,

We are doing a shortened version of the cruise. We join in Istanbul on 8th November for 24 days and we disembark in Dubai. We also live in Melbourne. Like many of you we will be leaving behind our beloved animals - 2 dogs & 2 cats. This is our first Seabourn cruise and we are looking forward to the experience and meeting everyone.

Lorraine & John

Hi Lorraine and John,

From what we've read, Istanbul looks like an incredible place. Are you spending some time there before the cruise?

Unfortunately we are only there for the day. It looks like the sort of place one could easily spend a week or two.

Anyway, welcome to the Seabourn boards and this thread.

Cheers,

Steve. (and Chris)

from Ashburton.

I count so far 3 Steve's maybe 4. I wonder how many Judy's there will be. We get on in Athens and off in Dubai. I wish we would have had an over night in Istanbul. We sure see allot of Greek islands. This cruise will put us over the top by 4 days. And we will apply for our free 14 day cruise. After we complete this one in Nov.Which we will have to take before Dec. of 09. That will not be a problem.

Archived